Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 07:18   #31

Boat: 43 Mikelson
Re: CAN OF PAINT EXPLODED IN COCKPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
What a mess! It was a spray can of rustoleum. Is sanding the only way to remove it from the fiberglass or is there a safe stripper that can be used. Once I get it off what polish can I use for the fiberglass. Also what do I use on the non-skid to get it off. Thank god I didn't have my new s s bimini up!!
Easy Off oven cleaner will soften the paint. Great for removing painted boat names on transoms etc…..If the gel coat is white, it may yellow a little but converts back to white with white vinegar….good luck
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:03   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

Time for a revised décor.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:13   #33

Boat: C&C 44

Quote:
What a mess! It was a spray can of Rustoleum. Is sanding the only way to remove it from the fiberglass or is there a safe stripper that can be used? Once I get it off what polish can I use for the fiberglass? Also, what do I use on the non-skid to get it off? Thank god I didn't have my new s s bimini up!!
Look for a product called Marine Strip or Boat Clean Pro, both the same. If you are in South Florida it is available at Boat Owners Warehouse. If not the factory is in Alabama, call for help. It is a paint stripper, and safe to use on gel coat. But best to take advice from them and not me. Good luck.
RLMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:20   #34

I recommend using a razor blade scraper to get off the big chunks then apply generous amounts of go be gone and let sit for 30 minutes then wipe up with paper towels throw away.

Acetone will work well but may weaken and/or etch your fiberglass.

Cheers!
captainwd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 15:04   #35

Boat: C&C 40

We have removed many boat names from.gelcoat using EZoff oven cleaner. It has never hurt the gelcoat nd is easy to work with. Ted.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 18:45   #36

Boat: Pearson 386

I would first try using lacquer thinner. I found this to evaporate much quicker than acetone and it does not yellow the fiberglass. I do not use acetone on fiberglass as I found many years ago that it tends to go deeper into the resin and the area will yellow over time. Not sure if this is true of the newer vinyl ester resins. For Spring pre-launch I've been using Collinite Wax cleaner mixed with liquid Turtle Wax as one step for many years, but most clean first and then wax. This seems to go long way to delay the dreaded cruisers smile. Buffing takes practice and can do damage if you aren't careful. I guess than means do your practice on your friends boat.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:00   #37

Quote:
What a mess! It was a spray can of rustoleum. Is sanding the only way to remove it from the fiberglass or is there a safe stripper that can be used. Once I get it off what polish can I use for the fiberglass. Also what do I use on the non-skid to get it off. Thank god I didn't have my new s s bimini up!!

Oh that sucks!

I saw it in a car once so I try to be ultra diligent when leaving any other tins or containers in the car. When I was young I left a Jerry Can with petrol (gas) in the car and when I went go back to the car the van was like a ballon. I was so scared I foolishly opened the car which sent the fuel about 12 feet into the air.
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 18:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Acetone might work, it will remove a lot of stuff. Wear chemical resistant gloves, pour a little on a rag and try dabbing it. If that doesn't work try covering area with well soaked rag and wait a few minutes giving it time to soak in.
Acetone shouldn't hurt the gelcoat but watch it on other surfaces.
Acetone softens gelcoat and WILL damage it, if you leave it on longer than a few seconds.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 14:32   #39

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Mines screwed anyway
Same here
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 14:43   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by col50 View Post
Acetone softens gelcoat and WILL damage it, if you leave it on longer than a few seconds.
Do you have a source for the above opinion, please? It is not at all what my experience is, but this old dog would read up on it, maybe I could learn a new trick.....

Ann
Old 13-07-2022, 19:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Do you have a source for the above opinion, please? It is not at all what my experience is, but this old dog would read up on it, maybe I could learn a new trick.....

Ann
It may not be your experience, but it is mine. But what do I know? I only have 50 years of experience.
Old 13-07-2022, 21:08   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

My experience goes back to the '70's too. Odd that it should be so different. I did a little looking around, and apparently gelcoat is thinned with acetone before it is sprayed on, but my brief search suggested that once the gelcoat has set up, it will not damage it. In fact, it is usually used to clean up after having fiberglass repairs done.

Since Zen Girl's gelcoat probably set up in the 70's or 80's, I think it would be okay.

Ann
Old 13-07-2022, 21:33   #43

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

This guy has a bigger clean up job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paint.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	260958  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 23:21   #44

Roll with it. Too many mono colored boats out there. Go get a couple more cans, shake like hell and blow the nozzel off the top. Like my dingy. Old school splatter finish rewild that ****
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 08:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
My experience goes back to the '70's too. Odd that it should be so different. I did a little looking around, and apparently gelcoat is thinned with acetone before it is sprayed on, but my brief search suggested that once the gelcoat has set up, it will not damage it. In fact, it is usually used to clean up after having fiberglass repairs done.

Since Zen Girl's gelcoat probably set up in the 70's or 80's, I think it would be okay.

Ann
You are correct, Acetone is usually used for cleanup; and I have done that countless times. It just shouldn't be left on the Gelcoat for more than a few seconds, as it will soften (not dissolve) it. I don't need to do any research on this, I am speaking from experience.
BTW, using Acetone for thinning Gelcoat will cause white Gelcoat color to change slightly after is has cured for a few days. Styrene Monomer is the proper product to use for that purpose.

Tags
cockpit, paint