Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 10:29   #16

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Bottom Paint Color. Does it matter?

I use CSC micron and alternate between Black and Blue. I get 3 years in between jobs. I have heard that the lighter colors are preferred by the divers that do bottom cleaning. I once had a diver scrape my black bottom paint off down to the gray barrier coat. I assumed it was because he could not see. Maybe he was just a bad diver. He did not get a return engagement.
Old 26-02-2019, 10:41   #17

This is a non scientific reply. I owned a bottom cleaning company in Florida for 30 years. Cleaned 300,000 boats underwater by many divers. We noticed that black paint was harder to clean at the waterline and the growth was much thicker on a monthly basis. No difference below waterline. Assume because black paint gets hotter in the sun, similar to black hull sides compared to white for waxing. 30+ years ago black paint was not popular; mostly red and blue. We had a very good long term sample. Also, this is important, with black paint the diver could not tell as easily see if all the algae is off so had to brush a bit more to make sure boat was clean. Red, blue and lighter colors much easier to see when clean so brush only enough to get clean, hence over brushing did not occur, allowing paint to last longer. I always paint my boat with hard blue paint.
Whisper Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:30   #18

Boat: Catalina 375

I am mostly in Lake Ontario and use Pettit white ablative. It makes boat look like there is no anti fouling on boat. Only dirt is on water line after a few months in water. Using the boat a lot tends to keep the bottom clean. I get two years without touch ups.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
I am mostly in Lake Ontario and use Pettit white ablative. It makes boat look like there is no anti fouling on boat. Only dirt is on water line after a few months in water. Using the boat a lot tends to keep the bottom clean. I get two years without touch ups.
Thanks for your input.
I getting a boat down in Florida and will take her to lake Michigan
Espiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 12:52   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Bottom Paint Color. Does it matter?

Don’t know about color choice but this discussion has made me think about using multiple colors...in a plaid pattern or maybe a floral motif.[emoji6] Now if I can just find a boat yard that can do it at a reasonable price...
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:08   #21

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Actually Black absorbs more light. White reflects light. But color is personal preference for esthetics for most people. However in tropical water where marine growth is fastest it does make a difference. Check the Cuperous Oxide content and take the highest percentage that is available in your color preference.
Just look at the manufactures guidelines for the various zones. Warmer the climate the more copper. And expense.
I have not had good luck with the “ copper free” carieties but they may work in more temperate climates.
My routines is seal hull with epoxy based sealer, one or two coats of hard bottom paint such as Trina’s SR, then 2 coats of ablative like Ultima SR. Good for 2 years with a minor touch up. Since my boat is a power post the running gear gets PropSpeed. Only because I have found it to be the only thing that sticks to the metal for an extended time and works.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:28   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It used to be that red paint had the most copper, closely followed by the black paint and a gap to all other colors. I recommend to take a scale to the shop and weigh them... choose the heaviest one that you like (black for me).
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:51   #23

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Jedi nailed it.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 15:24   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

Thank you everyone, for your replies. Got some good information and things to consider.
Stay safe.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 16:26   #25

Boat: Beneteau 473

This is slightly off subject of color, but I'm assuming the purpose of the question was to prevent biologicals from growing on the hull.
So some South African Cruisers that I have come across in Panama were looking for Cayene Pepper to mix with their bottom paint. The theory is the biologicals tasting the cayene would give up and drop off.
Has anyone heard of this, and if so, what are your thoughts.
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 16:35   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Lots of prior discussion.

Just google: "site:cruisersforum.com cayenne pepper in antifouling paint"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 16:59   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

[QUOTE=Seas The Moment;2834965]This is slightly off subject of color, but I'm assuming the purpose of the question was to prevent biologicals from growing on the hull.
So some South African Cruisers that I have come across in Panama were looking for Cayene Pepper to mix with their bottom paint. The theory is the biologicals tasting the cayene would give up and drop off.
Has anyone heard of this, and if so, what are your thoughts.[/QUOTE

Oh good grief! I heard the red pepper one back in the sixties!
Tetracycline antibiotic was the silly thing to add in the seventies.
If pepper worked, the paint companies would add it. Besides which, barnacles don’t have taste buds on their ass.
Old 26-02-2019, 17:04   #28

Boat: O'Day 26

No, I do not believe color makes any difference; go with whatever color complements the hull color scheme. Personally, I do not believe you can find a better hard bottom paint than Pettit's Trinidad (expensive yes, but worth the money in certain locations).

I do not recall if you presently have a hard or ablative paint on bottom. If ablative, you would have to remain with ablative, or completely remove ablative if you wish to switch to a hard paint. Personally, I prefer an initial hard trace paint followed by a multi-season ablative top coat with the trace base paint being a separate color (example; red) from the ablative top coat (example: blue). Pettit's Ultima SR 40 (or 60 if one wants to pay the price).

The primary argument for an ablative paint is the lack of paint build-up over several seasons. However, in the years I used Trinidad (a hard paint) exclusively, I never experienced a build-up; but then I maintained the hull and not the boat yard!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 22:05   #29

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

My marina provided two choices . . . BLACK . . . take it or leave it.
One of my marina neighbours told me he likes black because fish tend to gather under hull & are easier to catch. Don`t know what truth there is to that as I rarely fish. I find it cheaper to buy from local fish market.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 13:13   #30

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
My paint people at e-Paint for metal boats told me lighter colors work better in Florida. My light gray last two years +. They apparently supply paint to USCG. Russ
It certainly works better for the paint people. Light colored paint lets people see the growth more easily, so they have their bottom scrubbed and need painting more often.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint