Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: best way to clean...

Oxalic acid is available in crystalline form, but many household cleaners, such as Bar Keepers Friend, contain oxalic acid.

After cleaning/bleaching the wood, neutralize the acid bleach by wiping the wood surface with diluted ammonia (1:1 with water) or baking soda solution (one scoop to a quart of water) using a clean sponge. If you don’t neutralize the bleach, it will lighten any stain you apply later. Water is a mild neutralizer.

FWIW: The greasy feeling film that acid cleaners leave on a surface is just your skin dissolving.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: The greasy feeling film that acid cleaners leave on a surface is just your skin dissolving.
And if your old, will dry the skin out. Gloves available at the hardware store.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why spend money when sea water does better by not removing wood from the teak ???? only makes sense......andye donthave to wear gloves or use special removers and such with seawater--is free and easy. has worked for centuries. why change a good thing????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
why spend money when sea water does better by not removing wood from the teak ???? only makes sense......andye donthave to wear gloves or use special removers and such with seawater--is free and easy. has worked for centuries. why change a good thing????
zee sea water would be my first option...but for now I am on the st laurence river.
an old timer here uses Tide to wash his teak deck?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59   #20

Boat: Westsail 32

If you're on fresh water, how about making your own sea water? Marine aquarists do it all the time. Fresh water plus salt (or maybe salt from an aquarium store if you want real authenticity???) and Bob's your uncle, you've got sea water. Often when leaving our boat after a sail on this fresh water lake, I'll just sprinkle the deck with sea salt and hope it rains a bit. Seems to work until I can get to it every couple of months with salt water, a little bleach, and a plastic pad (get a lot of mold in fresh water around here, which is readily killed with very dilute bleach). Result: wet deck is a dark teak, dry deck a nice tawny silver --- lovely and clean either way.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52   #21
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I'm not familiar with gold leaf paint, but I did try using gold colored enamel on the trailer boards of my cabo. DON'T! The gold enamel looked great for a little while and then turned muddy brown. Right now I'm using yellow paint. If I ever decide to gold leaf it, that will be the base.

The picture was taken two years after the painting. Not great but not bad IMO.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010050.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	24595  
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 14:29   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

Oxalic acid in the concentrations used to bleach or clean teak will NOT harm gel coat/polyester resin. It is the principle ingredient in many of the proprietary f/g hull cleaners and stain removers.

It will, however (as several have said) tend to remove the softer portions of any wood, leaving a raised grain, so use with great care if at all.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-03-2011, 18:59   #23

jobi--make salt water with rock salt and wAter---will do ye well. use on y0ur teak decks also. is the proper treatment for teakwood decking-- daily salt water flooding--keeps the wood from drying out and cracking.i found much of the deterioration of my own teakwood was corrected with sea / salt water and gentle 3m pad rub. even the addition of the salt water made the wood appear less cracked. i added the oil after the surface of the wood was dry-- didnt wait overnite-- dont have to. i donot oil decking when i have that--this boat has no teak decking. i clean house teak with salt water also, then oil.
Old 05-03-2011, 19:15   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: best way to clean...

Quote:
jobi--make salt water with rock salt and wAter---will do ye well. use on y0ur teak decks also. is the proper treatment for teakwood decking-- daily salt water flooding--keeps the wood from drying out and cracking.i found much of the deterioration of my own teakwood was corrected with sea / salt water and gentle 3m pad rub. even the addition of the salt water made the wood appear less cracked. i added the oil after the surface of the wood was dry-- didnt wait overnite-- dont have to. i donot oil decking when i have that--this boat has no teak decking. i clean house teak with salt water also, then oil.
Is why you see pic's of old salts honing decks with stone and buckets...
El Pirata knows her stuff... bin the techy ****...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:17   #25

Quote:
will do that zee...what oil do you use?
herd olive oil was good?
Old 05-03-2011, 19:22   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: best way to clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
will do that zee...what oil do you use?
herd olive oil was good?
Jobi...Olive Oil with a drop of Ylang Ylang for the GF.... warmed to skin temp and applied gently starting at the shouilders....
Teak oil for the wood....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jobi...Olive Oil with a drop of Ylang Ylang for the GF.... warmed to skin temp and applied gently starting at the shouilders....
Teak oil for the wood....
hahaha dang I got confused

I knew olive oil was good for something
Old 05-03-2011, 19:33   #28

rofl...what boatman said.....