Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 18:37   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
Beneteau Battery Hold Downs

I have batteries in nice boxes. They are strapped into the boxes. However, the boxes are NOT strapped down, but are loose within the battery area (battery bilge?).

Do any Beneteau owners have their batteries better secured? Did you put bolts into the grid down there? How did you secure the straps to the boat? Pictures would be great if you have them.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 19:26   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Mine are under a pile of stores in a sectioned off part of the aft cabin.

And its hot.

so can I just go from memory and say they hasve seat belt type webbing thsat I think is screwed down at each end.

I could be wrong cos if it aint broke I don't go peerin in!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 19:46   #3

My plan is to epoxy or glass some wood pieces to the hull, and then fasten the hold down straps to the wood pieces. The heavier the battery, the more epoxy/glass to secure the wood pieces to the hull.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 20:15   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
My house batteries in the aft cabin are in a box, strapped in and the box is also attached. I am not sure you want the batteries (albeit in a box) to not be secured...

The same with the starting battery - strapped and the battery box secured.

Sailndive345

S/V Layla
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 22:18   #5

Here's a picture. I have a bettery terminal cleaning kit that I will use once it gets warmer. Note the loose boxes.

Old 14-02-2009, 22:51   #6

Hmm, that installation looks quite different than mine... Layla is a 461 - My house batteries (8D) are in a single large fiberglass box under the port aft berth. Yours appear to be located in the bilge? (better place than mine ) If so, does the floorboard that covers them have a way of "locking in place" somehow?

Perhaps - and hopefully - it'll never happen but I have always thought sailboats need to be designed to handle a severe knockdown where everything may fly out of where they are placed... Some lightweight items would pose no problem but I'd hardly want heavy, acid-filled batteries flying around...

I did experience a pretty intense one of these knock downs on my previous Beneteau (First 30) about 20 miles offshore from Port Canaveral, FL... It has been hard to forget.

Sailndive345
Old 14-02-2009, 23:19   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey Bene505! If you're ever running short of beer money I know where you caqn find a few bucks!

Do I get a spotters fee?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 23:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Instead of looking for a way to strap or screw them down to the hull....can you figure a bracket that works with your sole beams and holds them from the top?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 05:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hey Bene505! If you're ever running short of beer money I know where you caqn find a few bucks!

Do I get a spotters fee?
Good one, I put it in there for scale. Come to Long Island as we can arrange that beer!
Old 15-02-2009, 05:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Instead of looking for a way to strap or screw them down to the hull....can you figure a bracket that works with your sole beams and holds them from the top?
THe picture is taken facing aft. I was thinking about running a couple boards for and aft. Forward there's an island that's secured somehow, so that works. Aft (top of the picture) there's a secure board under the the companionway stairs. I'd have to check to make sure the boards can't slide back into a running engine/belts/etc. That would be bad.

That, and some blocks of wood or a frame in there to keep things from sliding around port/starboard and fore/aft.

So that's an option.
Old 15-02-2009, 05:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Hmm, that installation looks quite different than mine... Layla is a 461 - My house batteries (8D) are in a single large fiberglass box under the port aft berth. Yours appear to be located in the bilge? (better place than mine ) If so, does the floorboard that covers them have a way of "locking in place" somehow?

Perhaps - and hopefully - it'll never happen but I have always thought sailboats need to be designed to handle a severe knockdown where everything may fly out of where they are placed... Some lightweight items would pose no problem but I'd hardly want heavy, acid-filled batteries flying around...

I did experience a pretty intense one of these knock downs on my previous Beneteau (First 30) about 20 miles offshore from Port Canaveral, FL... It has been hard to forget.

Sailndive345
First of all, please share your knockdown somewhere (maybe I need to start a new thread on that?).

I agree. I'd hate to have to wrestle two 4D batteries (and a starting battery) in a situation like that. You just know that 50 foot boat will be taken off shore at some point -- maybe on delivery. I've been reading Storm Tactics. The Pardeys make the case that offshore boats need to be able to handle a mast-in-water knockdown.
Old 15-02-2009, 08:00   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Batteries should be secured so that there is no movement. You don't want something that heavy getting away on you. Even if it just damages the battery itself it can be dangerous with acid leaks, etc.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 08:12   #13

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
First of all, please share your knockdown somewhere (maybe I need to start a new thread on that?).

I agree. I'd hate to have to wrestle two 4D batteries (and a starting battery) in a situation like that. You just know that 50 foot boat will be taken off shore at some point -- maybe on delivery. I've been reading Storm Tactics. The Pardeys make the case that offshore boats need to be able to handle a mast-in-water knockdown.
Not much to share really.. it was a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time There were crisscrossing wave trains; one from the NE, the other from the E-SE. Wind was E/NE (~18-20 k, gusty) and I was sailing on roughly a beam reach on port tack (fishing). I guess I should state the NE waves were really steep/square due to the Gulf Stream current.

A larger NE wave hit the port (high) side at the same time as a gust - within what felt like milliseconds we got hit by a E wave at her "bottom". The double punch rolled us and put the windex under water... It was a religious experience

She was a'83 First 30E; my compliments to the designer (whoever s/he/they are) as she came back up as soon as the sheets were released, much to my relief I imagine Layla (my 461) or your B50 would take a lot more than what it took the 30' to roll.... at least, I hope

That's all there is to the story... I am sure there are lots of good material out there from people who are much more knowledgeable than myself.

Sailndive345

Tags
battery, beneteau