Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 21:43   #1

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Question Auto Pilot for Edson Worm-Drive Steering

I'm sailing a 70 year old classic with Edson jack screw steering and I wonder what kind of advice I can get on an autopilot installation.
I wonder if a cpt wheel steerer has enough power to handle it?
I'm sure I can make an old Wood Freeman work but the install would be pretty tough to keep it out of the weather.
Any ideas out there?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 23:29   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Basically what I have ray. 6000 attached with ram.Do they still make wf,still seeking/hunting?marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 03:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Will your rudder shape and location facilitate the installation of a trim tab? I steer my 25 ton , 50 foot ketch using a small tillerpilot to control my trimtab through a morse shifter cable. I assembled this system to avoid the cost of purchasing a system designed for use with hydraulic steering but have also used it on an old gaff topsail ketch with rack and pinion steering, a trimaran with cable steering and many others.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:22   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
In my experience, the buttress-style thread on screwjack steering does not lend itself to ram and tiller like adaption.
Worked on a Herreshoff once that used screwjack, to which a split, chain sprocket had been clamped to the steering wheel shaft, and driven by a Centek unit, IIRC, .
I recall it was a pretty husky motor that drew some amps.
Old 17-01-2011, 15:26   #5

Yes -Wood Freeman is still alive.
Good idea - on the trim tab idea. I've given some thought to a wind vane but the boat pretty much steers its self and the cost of it is staggering but what else is new?
I need a pilot more while under power than under sail but a trim tab type wind vane would probably kill two birds with one stone because a trim tab rudder could easily be driven by a tiller pilot such as a Raymarine 1000 or it's equal.
My other problem is a canoe stern.
Who builds what I need?
More info out there?
Old 18-01-2011, 04:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Yes -Wood Freeman is still alive.
Good idea - on the trim tab idea. I've given some thought to a wind vane but the boat pretty much steers its self and the cost of it is staggering but what else is new?
I need a pilot more while under power than under sail but a trim tab type wind vane would probably kill two birds with one stone because a trim tab rudder could easily be driven by a tiller pilot such as a Raymarine 1000 or it's equal.
My other problem is a canoe stern.
Who builds what I need?
More info out there?
I am currently building one on "Angelica", a canoe stern 50 ft George Buehler Dragonfly cutter. I also did a similar arrangement where the tillerpilot controlled a Monitor during motoring on a canoe sterned Dreadnaught . Feel free to contact me for more info.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 18:53   #7

xsboats-
After looking around, I need to find some plans for an auxillary rudder type wind vane that I can hang a Ray 1000 or Simrad tiller pilot ( which I have on my Nimble 20 trailer sailor)
Im capable of building one myself, I have the skills & equipment to do it and I can't afford 5 grand for a Hydrovane - how can this be so expensive? There isn't that much to it!
My old boat sails by itself mostly with trimming the sails, full keel & heavy she is - motoring is where the pilot is most needed.
Any good plans out there?
Old 18-01-2011, 20:30   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
Basically what I have ray. 6000 attached with ram.Do they still make wf,still seeking/hunting?marc
except we don't have the worm gear steering..........I think the princess does though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, steering