Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 18:09   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Adding a Spinnaker

I recently bought a 1984 27 Hunter. It came with a asymmetrical spinnaker but no rigging for it other than a block at the top of the mast and a ring on the front of the mast. Never having flow a spinnaker before this is all new territory for me. For starters the forestay is attached to the forward most hole in the stemhead, I assume I will have to relocate it to the second hole or possibly the third. The chute has a 4' line spliced to its tack that I again assume will be positioned at the first hole. Will I also need a spinnaker pole? It seems like there are several different ways to rig this, but being totally unfamiliar with this, I'm at a loss on the best way to set this up. Also How big a job is it to relocate the forestay? Is it something I could do on something best left to a marina. '
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stemhead.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	184832  
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 18:16   #2

Re: Adding a Spinnaker

The ring on the mast is for a pole. If you have the tack of the spinnaker on the pole, you can leave the forestay where it is.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 19:47   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you sure it is an asymmetrical? Does it have a sleeve for launching and snuffing?
Old 30-01-2019, 20:08   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

An assym with a short line on the tack is probably a cruising chute that you don't need a pole for. Just put a snatch block on one of the two open holes on the stem fitting, don't move the forestay. When launched on the leeward side the tack line will be clear of everything. When you jibe it will wrap around the front of the jib. Short term light air, don't worry about it. Otherwise you get a second line tie it to the bow and the tack. Now you can loosen and release the original line, pass it around the back of the forestay so it's clear and re-attach, then remove the temporary line.
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:12   #5

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Paul L I assume it is a Assym. Not being familiar with spinnakers i'm not sure of what I've got. Yes ! it does have a sleeve. Again not being familiar with spinnakers, I assumed a Cruising chute was general term for a spinnaker
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 07:38   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Find an indoor squash court or large grassed area (might be difficult in NH at the moment) and lay it out flat. The difference between an asymmetrical and a symmetrical should be obvious but a long tape measure from the head will confirm. Write down the measurements of the 3 sides, might be useful later.

Mark the head clew and tack with neat permanent marker, its always worth a snigger if someone else gets them round the wrong way and hoists.

Consider a snuffer to make life easier for the first couple of years or if single/short handed. Also look at an ATN Tacker or make your own.

Drop it before any wind rises above 15 knot gusts until you have some practice.

Its a fun sail to have a play with in good conditions and will provide lots of drive in light winds rather than use the engine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 13:31   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
Paul L I assume it is a Assym. Not being familiar with spinnakers i'm not sure of what I've got. Yes ! it does have a sleeve. Again not being familiar with spinnakers, I assumed a Cruising chute was general term for a spinnaker
Check as Pete7 said to determine it is an asym. An asym can be flown without a pole, a sym requires a pole. The sleeve should have a continuos line in it for raising and lowering the sleeve.
Spinnakers are tricky to sail with. Setting them up properly makes things much easier. My suggestion is to find someone locally who knows spinnakers and have them help you rig it and sail it the first time.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 22:04   #8

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

It's generally a bad idea to start moving rigging around, especially if the boat is new to you. Depending on how strong your pulpit is (assuming you have one), you can tie a ring to it and anchor the ring to the forestry fitting with a tight line. Works great for my friend and his Halman Horizon 27. Personally, I like rigging my symmetrical like an asymmetric on a lead off one of my headsail tack points, although my boat and spinnaker are relatively small. I also own a cruising boat with a short removable bowsprit and find it a huge improvement. If you intend on getting a lot of mileage out of it or want to sail short-handed, get a sprit. Having an adjustable tack line helps with setting and trimming, but isn't really important for pure cruising pleasure. Your dousing sock does make me a bit jealous, but only because I'm lazy and don't like packing mine away.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker