Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 14:32   #1

60 ft on the Chesapeake - It Begins !

Hi all,
So I am starting this thread since I will be posting the restoration project here. For those who don't know I am getting a 60 ft Nautical Development and moving it down to the Georgtown MD area. I will be doing some fairly common and annoying refit projects the next few months and plan on posting my pics here. If all goes well we will move the boat down and arrive around April 1st. This is no Aprils fools joke, however, many of you are probably calling me one. I know... big boat for someone who has never owned a sail boat. Well to all you nay sayers I say, I like it. In 6 months I may have changed my mind, thats life. Not gonna worry about it now.

SO this will be the first project. Remove old teak and make nice fiberglass smooth dance floor on aft deck. (this was mostly a test to see if I could get pics in here.)
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 14:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: 60 ft on the Chesapeake-it begins!

Looking at the photo, I'm thinking that you have a teak cosmetic layer glued on to a structural fiberglass deck. If so, it's wonderful; if not, I guess you have hundreds of screw holes in the deck to fill! Which is it?
Old 10-03-2012, 15:02   #3

Not glued, screwed (so to speak) ....the screws are actually in the joint between the strips of wood and pretty far apart. So there are holes, but maybe not as many as there could be.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Not glued, screwed (so to speak) ....the screws are actually in the joint between the strips of wood and pretty far apart. So there are holes, but maybe not as many as there could be.
That is totally weird,...you're saying they are in the caulking line?

Better hope you don't have a balsa cored deck,...or likely it is totally water logged.

Did you have this boat surveyed before you bought it? What is it by the way?
Old 10-03-2012, 15:23   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Looks like a job for a slick. They're perfect for this, makes it go really fast. In some cases where the teak was really glued down well and couldn't be removed by normal means without delaminating the glass (5200), I have used a powerplane set to max depth of cut to plane off most of the deck, just leaving a paper thin layer of teak and the adhesive to chisel off. Surprisingly quick, won't damage the glass at all.

2" Japanese Slick and Leather Tip Guard-Traditional Woodworker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320-0048-lg.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	38561  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:23   #6

yep in the caulk line. If you think about it, its kind of genius. no plugs, one flat head screw holds two pieces of wood and all hid under the caulk line. Been there since 1981, the teak is groved to provide a lip for the screw to hold...don't get me wrong though its all gotta go. description in first post.
Old 10-03-2012, 15:49   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
First on my list would be seacocks hoses and clamps. Then stuffing box and steering system , rigging. Electrical etc.....then tear the decks off. Usually only one edge is revealed for the seem on teak decking. I don't think I've ever seen it otherwise.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:56   #8

All that stuff is actually in pretty good shape. Replaced in 2006. there are leaks which have been causing some significant issues on the inside. So first order of business will be to get the roof to stop leaking and go from there.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
All that stuff is actually in pretty good shape. Replaced in 2006. there are leaks which have been causing some significant issues on the inside. So first order of business will be to get the roof to stop leaking and go from there.
Good luck to you DSDman, I will be able to see this work first hand, as we are now dock mates. Welcome to Sailing Associates

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:13   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
Good news if you haven't already then go check thruhull and the clamps. Walk yoursel through all the steering components. It's good habit and then you know what you have seem. Congratulations and man that us a huge deck.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:19   #11

Thanks shawnj, if you see me over there I will always have beer and spare screwdrivers!
Old 22-03-2012, 20:57   #12

Nothing blows the wind out of ones sails like hearing the surveyor tic off list after list of things wrong with the boat you want to buy. A couple of really dumb things I should have noticed. like the boat is 220 wired for the european standard! it has a hydraulic bow thruster just no pump that we could find or a way to control it? Engine runs good but won't tac over 1850 rpm and it says the max is 2800. Refrigeration does not cool. half the lights don't work...its been a long day so going to bed. Boat smells like dog. need shower!
Old 27-03-2012, 08:34   #13

Boat: Bowman 46
Re: 60 ft on the Chesapeake - It Begins !

DSDMAN,

I began pulling the teak deck off of my 46' boat and replacing it with painted fiberglass in October, 2009. I hope to be finished by June 1 of this year. It took me 80 man hours to pull the hardware and chissle the deck off. I spent another 200 man hours fairing the deck. Painting, (high build primer, finish primer, top coats and non skid coats), consumed another 60 man hours.

Be prepared to labor ceaselessly in the hot sun until all of the joy of ownership is gone. I'm listing mine for sale as soon as the last piece of hardware is installed. Next boat will look like a floating bleach bottle and have a warranty.
Steve
Bowman Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 12:43   #14

lets see thats about 20,400.00 dollars with of my time. So if it takes me that long anyone I can get to do it cheaper would be worth it. assuming all my time is equally valuable. That all sounds painful. But it doesn't matter now, I think I'm locked in... doing the delivery shake down cruise this weekend.
Old 27-03-2012, 13:29   #15

Boat: Bowman 46
Re: 60 ft on the Chesapeake - It Begins !

Yeah, I did the same calculus when I was contemplating my deck replacement. The quotes I received were high - $80,000 and $90,000 for the work. The job isn't really that difficult, it just takes forever. The biggest PITA was having to do the job outside. If I had to do it again, I would haul the boat and put it inside. PM me if you want more info. I'll be happy to share my experience with you.

Good luck with your repair. You're going to love that Nautical - they are awesome boats.

Cheers,

Steve
Bowman Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle