Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2018, 16:57   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9 1978
Yanmar “Idiot” Lights Upgrade

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that the oil and temperature lights for my Yanmar SB12 were not working properly. Since they never went on, I never really worried about them. Until the temperature light suddenly went on, flickering on and off, when the engine clearly was not over heating. Upon looking into this, I also realized that my oil light was never going on, even when it should – as in when the ignition is on but the engine is not running.

A little digging in the wiring determined that I have a bad temperature sensor – it is stuck in the alarm condition – a bad connection to the oil sensor, and a bad connection at the light for the temperature sensor. I fixed the oil sensor connection and I will be ordering a new temperature sensor from TOAD. My question is in regard to the three lights that sit in every Yanmar instrument panel.

The three lights are part number 124770-91040 and they are available for $10.88 each, which I assume includes the rubber housing, the red plastic lens, the wiring with bulb socket and the bulb. On my boat, these are all in terrible condition with the bulb sockets corroded and the rubber housing dried and cracking. I’m planning to replace all three.

The design of these lights is distinctly old school with a bayonet socket holding a little tungsten light bulb. The wiring is terminated in two male bullet connectors. The way these things work is that a positive 12v is sent to the bulb and then on to the sensor on the motor. If the sensor detects a fault condition (high temperature, low oil pressure) it shunts the voltage to ground completing the circuit and illuminating the lamp. If the circuit is interrupted, because of a burned out bulb, bad connection or loose socket, the lamp never illuminates.

I would like to replace the bulb and its socket with an LED that is directly soldered to two bullet connectors that connect to the wiring harness. This would eliminate two trouble points – burned out bulbs and corroded sockets. I’ve found these on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza, which I think will work. If I use the 10mm LED, I might be able to eliminate the rubber housing all together and fit them into a ˝ hole plug.

Any thoughts on this idea?
Homer Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:03   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar “Idiot” Lights Upgrade

Can't open the link here but in general, if the LED is designed for 12V operation and you get the polarity correct, then it will work.

However, the devil is always in the detail and in this instance, the detail is the LED and without being able to open the link, I can't be 100% certain the one you have selected is suitable
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar “Idiot” Lights Upgrade

Seeing as how the bulbs only operate for very short times, going to an LED isn’t an improvement in my mind.
Your supposed to look for the lights and horn with key on, engine off, then start the engine which should turn off the lights and horn.
That way the system is tested prior to every engine use.
By the way, your automobile is identical in this regard.

I would install gauges as opposed to LEDs myself

Actually now that I think about it, I doubt the temp system is actually tested, just the bulb, but the oil PSI system is tested.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Shannon View Post
A couple of weeks ago I discovered that the oil and temperature lights for my Yanmar SB12 were not working properly. Since they never went on, I never really worried about them. Until the temperature light suddenly went on, flickering on and off, when the engine clearly was not over heating. Upon looking into this, I also realized that my oil light was never going on, even when it should – as in when the ignition is on but the engine is not running.

A little digging in the wiring determined that I have a bad temperature sensor – it is stuck in the alarm condition – a bad connection to the oil sensor, and a bad connection at the light for the temperature sensor. I fixed the oil sensor connection and I will be ordering a new temperature sensor from TOAD. My question is in regard to the three lights that sit in every Yanmar instrument panel.

The three lights are part number 124770-91040 and they are available for $10.88 each, which I assume includes the rubber housing, the red plastic lens, the wiring with bulb socket and the bulb. On my boat, these are all in terrible condition with the bulb sockets corroded and the rubber housing dried and cracking. I’m planning to replace all three.

The design of these lights is distinctly old school with a bayonet socket holding a little tungsten light bulb. The wiring is terminated in two male bullet connectors. The way these things work is that a positive 12v is sent to the bulb and then on to the sensor on the motor. If the sensor detects a fault condition (high temperature, low oil pressure) it shunts the voltage to ground completing the circuit and illuminating the lamp. If the circuit is interrupted, because of a burned out bulb, bad connection or loose socket, the lamp never illuminates.

I would like to replace the bulb and its socket with an LED that is directly soldered to two bullet connectors that connect to the wiring harness. This would eliminate two trouble points – burned out bulbs and corroded sockets. I’ve found these on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza, which I think will work. If I use the 10mm LED, I might be able to eliminate the rubber housing all together and fit them into a ˝ hole plug.

Any thoughts on this idea?
Yes I reckon you can use them as they colour coded & have good shrink wrapping by the look of it. My tip is to buy the 10mm ones, the bigger the better. I'm no electricity expert but have installed a lotta LED's
Dont assume you'll get all those parts from Yanmar, I'd call them & check they are included. Seems awful cheap for Yanmar parts
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:43   #5

Yea, that's a good note on Yanmar, but I have the parts list and is shows all the components of the light under the one number. $10.88x3 is not a lot of money, but three 1/2" panel blanks is about two bucks. Drill a 10mm hole in each of these and glue an LED into the hole. Solder on the bullet connectors and you'd have a light that can't burn out and won't corrode. Spend the $30 on some other part.
Old 19-09-2018, 17:48   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I am with a64pilot on this. LED is not worth dealing with for these bulbs. Gauges are also a good idea.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 17:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seeing as how the bulbs only operate for very short times, going to an LED isn’t an improvement in my mind.
Your supposed to look for the lights and horn with key on, engine off, then start the engine which should turn off the lights and horn.
That way the system is tested prior to every engine use.
By the way, your automobile is identical in this regard.

I would install gauges as opposed to LEDs myself

Actually now that I think about it, I doubt the temp system is actually tested, just the bulb, but the oil PSI system is tested.
A64 - These things don't test anything. They are very dumb - 12v is put to the light bulb and if the sensor/switch sees ground, the light goes on. The point of LEDs would just be to eliminate a tungsten bulb that is subject to failure and a metal socket that is subject to corrosion. I confess that I should have been watching these things all along, but it's possible they have been failed for so long that I never saw they operate properly. The oil light is working properly now. I'll get them all sorted out for next season.
Old 19-09-2018, 19:09   #8

My lights worked perfectly, but when my engine overheated I got neither lights nor alarm. It wasn't until the engine shut down and I saw smoke from the engine compartment that I knew I had a problem.

I strongly recommend installing a temp gauge and not trusting idiot lights.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 19:15   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The test is a function of turning on the key and getting both a low oil psi light and audio alarm, and usually an alternator or charge light.
Cranking the engine and them going out is the other part of the test, same with the alternator light, it’s on before the alternator is working and off when it is, that is the test.
Again, just like your car, read the manual, your supposed to check the lights before starting the car, or you Boat.

It’s actually a pretty smart system cause it’s tests the warning device before every single use, and doesn’t require much from you.

However gauges if you pay attention to them will warn you of impending doom, not just doom has already occurred.
Do not replace the warning lights with gauges, have both.

Of course if you want LED’s, it’s your boat, but your not improving or fixing anything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 19:30   #10

Boat: Riva 48

The lights work fine as they are, no need to upgrade something that works reliably. Gauges are not necessarily better as you do not spend time looking at them. An improvement in my opinion would be to replace the whole panel with three tiny leds and a small tach/switch that you can position somewhere next to the compass. That would save space and make it neat but non standard.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 19:38   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Yea, that's a good note on Yanmar, but I have the parts list and is shows all the components of the light under the one number. $10.88x3 is not a lot of money, but three 1/2" panel blanks is about two bucks. Drill a 10mm hole in each of these and glue an LED into the hole. Solder on the bullet connectors and you'd have a light that can't burn out and won't corrode. Spend the $30 on some other part.
Yes I agree, will be an improvement having LED's. Much more reliable but agree it's good
have gauges as well. I like the shrieking Yanmar alarm, much harder to miss than a light or gauge, you can even hear it over a single cylinder that has been compared to a gold stamper.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 19:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The lights work fine as they are, no need to upgrade something that works reliably.
Can't agree with this, as mine worked fine in "test", but not at all when I needed them.

Having a gauge too is a good, cheap, upgrade.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:16   #13

I agree, gauges would be better and so would an audible alarm. However, I'm not going to complicate this. I just want working idiot lights. Presently they do not work, in large part, because the bulb sockets are corroded and the rubber housings for the bulbs are shot. LEDs would solve the need to replace the rubber housings and prevent future corrosion, loose bulbs and broken filaments. I'd have a system that is equal to OEM in terms of information provided and better than OEM in reliability. That good enough for me.
Old 20-09-2018, 06:18   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I agree, gauges would be better and so would an audible alarm. However, I'm not going to complicate this. I just want working idiot lights...
See the audible-visible dual alarm.

Cole Hersee/Littelfuse #4112-RC • 12 & 24V DC Buzzer and LED Indicator “Dual Alarm”
4112-RC000 - Alarms Series - Pilots Lamps and Alarms from Other Products and Accessories - Littelfuse

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 06:35   #15

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Some newer style alternators don't require the warning lamp, you'll have to determine that.

The warning light supplies the field current initially. Without that current the alternator produces little or no current. Once the alternator is working it supplies the current to operate the field. An LED with the appropriate resistor will not supply adequate current.

https://alternatorparts.com/understa...ternators.html

Have no idea if the circuit developed by this guy works. -
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/...ith-led.88735/
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar