Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 10:23   #1

yanmar 4jh4e starting problem

I have a yanmar 4jh4e 55hp diesel engine and I have starting problems only when engine is cold or is staying a some period 15-20 days.When engine is warm engine starts in 1 second,but when is cold it takes 4-5 seconds,battery is full.I take a video of my starting:.
noviradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 13:33   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: yanmar 4jh4e starting problem

Welcome aboard CF, noviradio. Let's hope the collective thoughts of our members can help you to resolve your staring issue.

It sounds like the starter motor is not turning fast enough which suggests an electrical problem. You state the battery is "full" but how did you determine this?

The definitive test is to measure the voltage at the battery terminals while cranking the engine. Also measure the voltage at the starer motor while cranking the engine. Both readings should be around 10 V or better (while cranking the engine) and the starter motor voltage should be with in 1 V or so lower than the battery terminal voltage. Any reading lower than 8 V is indicative of an electrical issue (poor battery, poor wiring, poor connections (corrosion etc) or faulty solenoid or faulty starter motor).

If your voltage readings are OK, then it will time to consider other potential problems and the principle one would be low compression.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 17:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Watching the video, she is spinning over way too slow in my opinion.
That’s a whole lot easier and cheaper to fix than low compression though, it’s likely as easy a fix as a loose or dirty connection.
Don’t forget the ground connection too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 20:36   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Check your connections..... remove all ground connections and clean. I have same engine. The engine ground connection on the starter looked fine, however when I removed the wires there was significant corrosion causing a starting issue. If after cleaning all posts you still have an issue use a meter on the starting battery and have someone start the engine and watch the voltage. Start simple....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:48   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, noviradio.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

It sounds like the starter motor is not turning fast enough which suggests an electrical problem. You state the battery is "full" but how did you determine this? .
I'd agree. This sounds suspiciously like an issue with an old battery. Is your starter battery separate from your house bank, and do you use a starter battery to start? Have you tried starting from your house bank?

Starting rapidly (1s) after being run for a while wouldn't suggest an issue with corroded connections, necessarily.

Also, have you checked for air-leaks in your fuel system? To check this, prime the fuel-filter manual pump to bleed the system of air and then start the engine. If it takes less time that the usual 4s after being cold, then it may indicate that air is being pulled into the fuel system while the engine is dormant.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:13   #7

Try advancing the throttle when doing a cold start.
Mo Surprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:12   #8

first i forget to say hello to everyone,thanks for good advices,starter battery is optima blue top 66ah 850ccA agm manufactured 2015 and voltage on battery is 12.7 V,I dont try to start the engine from house bank,today I checked all connections on starter motor and battery terminals and there wasnt any serious corision,but i also cleaned them and tightened.I try to start the engine and engine starts fine in 1-2 seconds.I wasnt look for air in fuel i will check another time,and also i dont make a voltage during the starting because i was alone on boat.
noviradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:07   #9

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviradio View Post
first i forget to say hello to everyone,thanks for good advices,starter battery is optima blue top 66ah 850ccA agm manufactured 2015 and voltage on battery is 12.7 V,I dont try to start the engine from house bank,today I checked all connections on starter motor and battery terminals and there wasnt any serious corision,but i also cleaned them and tightened.I try to start the engine and engine starts fine in 1-2 seconds.I wasnt look for air in fuel i will check another time,and also i dont make a voltage during the starting because i was alone on boat.
It's worth checking. The two occasions I've experienced the same groaning, it's been due to the starter battery. The [charged] resting voltage may fine, but there may only be 5% of the original capacity left in the thing - this will manifest as an immediate voltage drop when cranking which brings the voltage to the lower end of what the starter motor even operates at.. hence the slow cranking rather than the spritely and typical high rate sound.

Since I've put in an ACR (BlueSea) the issue has gone away as the starter is automatically connected to a charge source as a long as the house bank is too.. The life of the starter battery has increased considerably since then.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviradio View Post
I have a yanmar 4jh4e 55hp diesel engine and I have starting problems only when engine is cold or is staying a some period 15-20 days.When engine is warm engine starts in 1 second,but when is cold it takes 4-5 seconds,battery is full.I take a video of my starting:.
The manual for my yanmar says full throttle for cold start. What does yours say?
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:03   #11

I have had the brushes burn out on both of my starter motors. They seem to last for around 5 years. They both gave up very suddenly without warning. These were both hitachi units.
caymancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:17   #12

Boat: Privilege 435

Don't bleed your injectors or replace your starter or anything else just yet. As others have said...it's your electrical system. The engine simply isn't turning over fast enough. Either your battery is dying or one of the terminals are loose, maybe even at the starter.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

Congrats. Sounds like you have fixed the problem. I don't know why it would start better after running. Do you use the glow plug? I have the same engine 4JH4E. I don't think that the sounds it was making would be characteristic of a fuel problem. Might as well put that on the back burner for awhile. I would be more concerned about your electrical system sharing voltage. Am I correct in saying that you only used the start battery the second time? If so I would clean the batteries for the house and check to see if they are in good shape.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49   #14

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

One assumes you are also using the preheat function accessible via the key switch?

see here: http://shop.torresen.com/utility/inc..._lit/4JH4E.pdf
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:20   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Watching the video, she is spinning over way too slow in my opinion.
That’s a whole lot easier and cheaper to fix than low compression though, it’s likely as easy a fix as a loose or dirty connection.
Don’t forget the ground connection too.
Ditto!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar