Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 15:08   #16

Re: Yanmar 2QM20 Parts

S orry I got a reply from you I am the wrong Michael I am mick5575 however I do have the qm20 needs a new head I believe can be purchased fro hoyes in the US also it can come loaded with valves etc i showed my mrchanic a picture he says it look identical i have not made a purchase yet as my car broke a cam belt so it comes first i saw a farmer here in nz orderrd a part for his trctor ym2000 took 6 days to arrive i believe
mick5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 00:30   #17

Hi Scrambleman,
The cylinder head from Hoye tractors is an exact replica of the original 2TR16 head, everything fits, but you have to move all the loose stuff from your old head to the new one, it might be a challenge to loosen the prechambers on the old one, but it can be done. If you post me your email adress I'll send you a part list and repair manual in pdf-format.
Best regards
Michael
S_YRita@hotmail.com
mjhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 11:51   #18

Boat: C&C 34

I emailed you, Michael. Just for the benefit of the thread... my experience has been mirroring MJHansen's thus far. (Thanks for the reply also, Mick5575.) I have undertaken a complete rebuild of my 2QM20, and although progress has been slow - so far it's been good. I also bought the loaded cylinder head from Hoye Tractor in TX, USA and at this point see no problems. I'm replacing a lot of other things also, most of which I've sourced at Oldport Marine, in Newport, RI. Meredith is who you want to speak to there. A quick google search will turn up web sites & contact info for both those places. I can be messaged here with any questions, which I'll gladly respond to with my experience. Bear in mind I am not a diesel mechanic, I am working with an engine shop with a lot of experience however, in diesel and gasoline engines, and so far, I'd recommend this route to anyone with a 2QM20... the idea of putting the engine "right back" with no issues as to motor-mount fit, or engine size, or drive shaft angle, etc... are additional benefits beyond the simple durability and well-built nature of the 2QM. It IS a bit more effort, but I'm glad for the knowledge I will have of my diesel that I will have after this is done.
Scrambleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 04:12   #19

do you know if saltwater cooling is opl for 2 qm k on the ym2000 tractor head as replacement for 2qm20 head thkyu
mick5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 05:20   #20

do you know if saltwater cooling is opl for 2 qm k

I don't know what quality the casting are made off, but I believe it's the same as the original. I'm using salt water cooling, and so far no problems, but who knows what happens in the long run.
I think most faults in the original head are due to excessive heat, and not corrosion.
Just remember to fit the sacrificial zinc in both ends of the head.

Best Regards
Michael
Old 20-09-2013, 16:25   #21

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I have a 2GM20 to rebuild. Anyway I can find out which tractor engine that cross-references to ? Do any of you know ?
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 01:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
I have a 2GM20 to rebuild. Anyway I can find out which tractor engine that cross-references to ? Do any of you know ?
The GM serie are special engines for boating, I don't know of any tractor engine that cross-reference with them. You can try to search on Hoye's site with part numbers from the parts catalog, some things are the same. The injector which number for 2GM20 is 124770-53000 results in IN-2100. It indicates that some parts are the same from the YM2000 serie.
Best Regards
Michael

Tags
2qm20, parts, yanmar