Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 08:55   #91

Re: Which new engine for repower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
Sorry for your problem. Probably one more thing to add to the repower list. How fast can the mfr deliver.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Well not just how fast but can you believe them? The Yanmar guy here gave me a very good price but when I looked at his delivery time I took him off the list BUT he just made the mistake about being honest, buyer beware!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 18:29   #92

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

My plans to repower have ended. Priced out of the market. Having an old volvo I would want to keep using a flex a fold prop. Would have to buy another new, due to the engine rotation. Plus just got told the price of Beta engines is increasing Feb first.

Guess I will continue my South Pacific Journey hoping for enough wind!
Old 21-01-2015, 05:01   #93

I just got a quote from Beta Marine in NC on a Beta 50. They said their quote ws good for 30 days. I inquired about coming price increases and Farron told me that they had a price increase the first of the year and that he was not expecting another price increase for 6 months. They did give me the 15% discount on the total price of engines and options in the quote.
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 05:26   #94

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I am running a Yanmar 4jh that is mid life, no issues so far. My concern in this thread regards exhaust systems. I had a custom system fabricated and holy cow! What an improvement. If I was in the midst of a repower, I would not pass up the opportunity to work that issue. Much easier with the engine out.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 05:44   #95

Well, I understand that a Yanmar needs a 3" exhaust and that would REQUIRE a custom exhaust system to be installed. Mainly due to the speed of the engine & volume of fuel/exhaust. But, your point is well taken.

I will be reworking my existing exhaust system bringing it up to "new" status. I wouldn't install a new engine without taking the opportunity to renew the whole system. The new Beta (which is a slow speed diesel) only requires a 2" exhaust which is what I have.
Old 21-01-2015, 06:56   #96

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackrobertson View Post
I just got a quote from Beta Marine in NC on a Beta 50. They said their quote ws good for 30 days. I inquired about coming price increases and Farron told me that they had a price increase the first of the year and that he was not expecting another price increase for 6 months. They did give me the 15% discount on the total price of engines and options in the quote.
Please note that Beta Marine will be having a price increase beginning February 2015, they are allowing us to keep the old pricing through the Seattle Boat Show. For example, 2015 prices for what you are looking at would be: Beta 35 w/ transmission $11,637.35, Beta 38 w/ Velvet drive adaptation kit: $11,448.65.

Fortunately sales tax hasn’t gone up (yet), and shipping should still be around $350.

Take care.
Bob

Got the e-mail yesterday. Wonder if I am being given the old sales pitch? I am in Thailand now so I would have to wait.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:05   #97

Bob, I cannot speak for the Beta 38, but they quoted me on the 43, 50 & 60. The 43 was quoted at $13,253 engine only with 15% discount. This does not include transmission, shipping or other "options".

They also quoted me $470 on shipping, but the Beta 43/50/60 is a bigger engine series block.

Their engines seem to be about $2000 difference, but I would be interested to see if they actually offered Boat Show specials. It might be worth a trip to Miami.

The mechanic only told me of my engine's condition the week after the Houston Boat show ended. So I missed out on that possibility.
Old 21-01-2015, 12:12   #98
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I just got a call from the local Beta dealer who advised me that the engine that I payed in full for that was to leave Britain on the 9th of this month has not left yet as it was held up for whatever reasons.

Meanwhile we sit on the hook without an engine hoping the wind gods are good to us while we wait. The engine should have been installed by now and that rips me.

Not an impressive start for this company that is supposed to look after their customers, you would have thought they would have emailed me considering that they are 10 days behind on getting the engine shipped knowing full well we were sitting on the hook.

I'll let you know how this whole thing works out but my first impressions are not very good, seems once they have your money they take whatever time they feel like getting the engine out the door.
Robert,
Your engine was shipped out from the factory on January 9th. For some reason the airline decided to accept more passangers or passanger's luggage and freight was bumped off the flight. This is not something that any company has control over and to imply that this is the fault of Beta Marine is totally wrong. I have been informed that the freight shipment is on its way to St. Martin and is expected there tomorrow.
Stanley Feigenbaum
Beta Marine US Ltd
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 12:39   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
Robert,
Your engine was shipped out from the factory on January 9th. For some reason the airline decided to accept more passangers or passanger's luggage and freight was bumped off the flight. This is not something that any company has control over and to imply that this is the fault of Beta Marine is totally wrong. I have been informed that the freight shipment is on its way to St. Martin and is expected there tomorrow.
Stanley Feigenbaum
Beta Marine US Ltd
Stanley,
I was promised a tracking number yesterday by Lisa, your assistant, to be emailed this morning, I never got it. The airline never told me the dates the engine was going to arrive, I've never had any contact with them. All the dates and times I have received have come from Beta. I was told the engine would be shipped out and arrive in St. Maarten between the 14th and 16th of this month. I was never contacted by anyone from Beta when none of this happened. The first contact I received was 2 days ago simply advising me that the engine never left when it was supposed to. I completely understand that you can't control shipping but you do have enough experience doing this that your estimate should have been reasonably close or why would your dealer have given me the times he did. Understanding our position of sitting at anchor waiting each day, not wanting to leave the boat I would have expected someone to have taken the time to have contacted us and explained what was going on well before 2 days ago. You must have been aware a long time ago that the engine was not shipped on time, if not you should have been and that info should have been sent to us 2 weeks ago, not 2 days ago. How am I supposed to believe that an engine that was supposed to arrive in Miami by air was bumped on the 9th but never got on any of the 100's of flights out until almost 10 days later??
I have heard that you take a very personal approach to doing business and I applaud that but you might have been better off to simply have contacted me on email and explained things then I would have made an announcement on this forum that all was well and good rather than making it appear that you somehow never dropped the ball and my expectations were some how unrealistic. In the end I trust we will both learn something from the experience. Cheers, Robert
Old 26-01-2015, 16:00   #100

Well it didn't happen when Beta said it would but it did arrive sometime over the weekend
and I have seen it with my own two eyes, LOL. I was ripped for two reasons, the engine did not arrive when we were told it would and nobody on the other end seemed to feel a need to keep us informed.
Since then the folks at Beta have keeping us very well informed, which we appreciate and the local dealer is waisting no time in getting things happening. The dealer came over today and helped us up anchor which was no small feat as the windless had a dead battery and the Rocha had buried so deep that all I saw was the chain coming out of the sand. Then we tied 2 Dink's to the rear of the boat and waited for the swing bridge here to open, which it did. We are all tied up to a dock with a crane standing buy to lower the engine in place. We are not there yet but we now have everything needed to get the job done.
No longer ripped at Beta and while it was not the greatest start it looks promising that it will all have a good ending.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:45   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor
Well it didn't happen when Beta said it would but it did arrive sometime over the weekend and I have seen it with my own two eyes, LOL. I was ripped for two reasons, the engine did not arrive when we were told it would and nobody on the other end seemed to feel a need to keep us informed. Since then the folks at Beta have keeping us very well informed, which we appreciate and the local dealer is waisting no time in getting things happening. The dealer came over today and helped us up anchor which was no small feat as the windless had a dead battery and the Rocha had buried so deep that all I saw was the chain coming out of the sand. Then we tied 2 Dink's to the rear of the boat and waited for the swing bridge here to open, which it did. We are all tied up to a dock with a crane standing buy to lower the engine in place. We are not there yet but we now have everything needed to get the job done. No longer ripped at Beta and while it was not the greatest start it looks promising that it will all have a good ending.
Glad to hear your problem is working toward a better resolution.

When service providers and/or vendors take an interest and ownership in their customers problems or concerns then they are more apt to have life long customers and free positive endorsements. In this age of fast sharing of information how can any company afford such negligence?

Very glad to hear Bets has stepped up and you perspective has changed.

Thanks for sharing.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 18:45   #102

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I think you will be very happy with the Beta. I just installed a Beta 60 and I can't believe how quiet and smooth it is. See the first 24 seconds of its life following initial start up:

VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 12:13   #103

What ever issues I once had with Beta they are behind me now and to be fair with them it was a timing issue, nothing about their product.

The really good news is that the local dealer in St. Maarten, Lindsay James from Maritime Solutions really did a standup job in making up for time lost. When the engine arrived he advised me and met me the next day to start the installation. There were the normal little bugs and time delays here and there but they were all minor and Lindsay is a man of his word. The install was very well done and I can recommend Lindsay and his team to anyone needing help with a new/old diesel engine.
Old 02-03-2015, 17:04   #104

I replaced an lod Volvo Penta with a Yanmar and was very pleased. Installed it myself with a little help from a welder who made new motor mounts. It came complete with transmission. Lighter, cleaner running, more efficient and a lot less noise. I was very happy with it. New engine, shaft, dripless bearing, new prop and was happy.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 21:37   #105

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemate View Post
I replaced an lod Volvo Penta with a Yanmar and was very pleased. Installed it myself with a little help from a welder who made new motor mounts. It came complete with transmission. Lighter, cleaner running, more efficient and a lot less noise. I was very happy with it. New engine, shaft, dripless bearing, new prop and was happy.
Good for you! I had both & I agree with you... the only problem with Yanmar is that I've never been able to handcrank it while I did it several time with Volvos & dead batteries Try it & let us know
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, repower