Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 10:56   #1

Which new engine for repower

Well I have finally come to terms with the fact that we need to repower. I have decided on one of two 50hp engines, Yanmar and Beta. Both are easy installs in our Moody. The Beta is $1500 more which is a surprise as in the past they have been cheaper but maybe its the British pound. Which one would you choose and why???
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 11:12   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Which new engine for repower

what do you have now?????????????????/
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 11:37   #3

Not sure what that has to do with making a choice but a Thornycroft T98.
Old 25-12-2014, 12:05   #4

Boat: Irwin sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
When choosing a replacement engine the closer it matches the original the less expensive the conversion will be, some will bolt right up without major fiddling around, others won't.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 12:09   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I would go with the Beta. Being Kubota-based gives you many more options for parts and consumables, and Beta's support network is superb.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 12:33   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Have you looked into Nanni? When I was pricing engines, they came out the cheapest. Same Kubota blocks as Beta engines..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 12:39   #7

Over here, people seem to speak highly of Beta Marine's support. They are based on Kubota, so if you are looking for a part that is not peculiar to the marinisation, the price tends to be reasonable. The main criticism I hear of Yanmar is spare part prices.
Old 25-12-2014, 12:40   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Are you sure a new tranny is not included in the Beta but not in with the Yanmar? Different salesmen assume different things when pricing.

The Beta may be the less expensive install given their engine mount system which is pretty flexible. Yammer, you might need to modify the mounts to make it fit.

Beta also does not have all the computerized nonsense on it that Yanmar does. The Yanmar will likely run a bit smoother and more efficiently, but be more expensive to fix when something goes wrong.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 14:44   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The Yanmar will likely run a bit smoother and more efficiently
This sounds very unlikely to me... can you back your statement up with some facts? If they are both 4 cylinder normally aspirated diesels there will be little difference in either smoothness or efficiency. The Kubota based engine will run at somewhat lower RPM in most cases and be of a bit more displacement and weight. Some folks think this is a good thing!

And not having to deal with the highly structured and restricted Yanmar corporate architecture is an advantage IMO. I've found the Kubota folks pretty good to deal with re engine parts, and experienced vicariously some dramas with Yanmar reps via posts here on CF.

Jim
Old 25-12-2014, 16:47   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The Beta will run with a 2" exhaust, but the Yanmar requires 3".
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 16:57   #11

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Just turned over 3500 hrs on my Beta 38 I installed 4 years ago. looked for every reason not to buy one but could not find one....Access is the deal maker. The Beta is hands down the best if you have front access. Yanmar got their head up their ass a few years ago ... no tellin why.

Fixing or changing mounts or rails is worth the effort to get a stable platform. Do not skimp on this issue when repowering. It is so easy when the engine is out.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 17:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
When choosing a replacement engine the closer it matches the original the less expensive the conversion will be, some will bolt right up without major fiddling around, others won't.
Actually they will both fit the existing beds needing only small risers, easy refit. Both engines include the transmission and all the associated bits to make the conversion. I am so used to Yanmar being more expensive than Beta that it doesn't seem right to pay more for a Beta. Anyways I am carefully reading each of your opinions and I appreciate you taking your time to give me them. R
Old 25-12-2014, 17:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Have you looked into Nanni? When I was pricing engines, they came out the cheapest. Same Kubota blocks as Beta engines..
Yes I did check the Nannie out and it is more expensive than the Beta
Old 25-12-2014, 17:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The Beta will run with a 2" exhaust, but the Yanmar requires 3".
Yes you are correct, I have priced in the the exhaust mod. The base engine price before discounts is Yanmar around 12000 dollars and Beta is 16000 and change. Beta offers a 15% discount which puts it at 13,800 dollars so quite a difference.
Old 25-12-2014, 17:50   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This sounds very unlikely to me... can you back your statement up with some facts? If they are both 4 cylinder normally aspirated diesels there will be little difference in either smoothness or efficiency. The Kubota based engine will run at somewhat lower RPM in most cases and be of a bit more displacement and weight. Some folks think this is a good thing!

And not having to deal with the highly structured and restricted Yanmar corporate architecture is an advantage IMO. I've found the Kubota folks pretty good to deal with re engine parts, and experienced vicariously some dramas with Yanmar reps via posts here on CF.

Jim
The only fact is my own experience, which is newer Yammers run a bit smoother and are slightly more efficient. I've always assumed it was because of the electronic controls, but it may not be that, and my experience is hardly comprehensive and is ad hoc, but I have heard the same comments from a few other folks...and not as a ding against Beta. As an aside, I never considered turbo diesels to be normally aspirated, but you learn something new every day.

FYI my Universal is a normally aspirated Kubota block and it does not run as smooth as either a Yanmar or a Beta, so I don't think those two aspects guarantee comparable performance in and of themselves.

That said, I'd take the Beta for a variety of reasons.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, repower