Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 05:30   #1

Boat: Sabre 36
Westerbeke W27 Oil filter relo kit

The oil filter on my W27 is side mounted in an awkward location. I have been looking at the "Westerbeke" oil relo kit but it is a little pricey. I've stumbled on these kits in my search and was curious if anyone has used them or had any input. They are very reasonable ($40-$50) which is nice but raises obvious red flags.

Relocation Kits
LIsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:24   #2

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36
Re: Westerbeke W27 Oil filter relo kit

Hi - I have used this type of automotive relocation kit on my Volvo Penta MD2003 diesel engine for 30-years. Really great.

The only thing you may have to do is change from a "round" o-ring seal to a "flat" seal. You may have to have the part that threads onto the engine block machined to do this.

The flat seal that I use is the rubber ring that comes off of the oil filter that you use on your engine block. They last forever and yet you can easily get a new one if needed by carefully removing one from a new oil filter.

Sometimes they warn not to use these kits on a engine in a marine setting because of the possibility or corrosion, but I have never had that problem.

Doug
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:33   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Just curious as I was thinking of doing the same.
For a car it would be by make and model, but how to you choose the right one for a diesel? I also have a Westerbeke (30B3) with a "hidden" oil filter.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:08   #4

If you have a "normal" type of screw on oil filter, you can measure the diameter and the thread pitch on the filter - and then look up what size of "engine block adapter" you need.

If you go to Fram or Baldwin filters website you can generally find a cross reference number for the Westerbeake filter, and then look up the diameter & pitch of their corresponding unit.

There are only about 4 common diameters & pitches, so it is usually pretty easy to track down what you have.

Doug
Old 16-03-2015, 09:02   #5

the only expensive part is the 2 hydrolic hoses that go from the engine, to the new filter location...also can change to a larger filter if there is more room...years ago, the filter on my 85 perkins was horizontal...what a mess to change! i changed location asap, also installed a larger/longer filter...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 13:33   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunrise 36 Catamaran

I've been looking to do remote oil filters on my boat. Does anyone have information on doing this on a Yanmar 2GM20?
GalleyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 18:44   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
If you have a "normal" type of screw on oil filter, you can measure the diameter and the thread pitch on the filter - and then look up what size of "engine block adapter" you need.

If you go to Fram or Baldwin filters website you can generally find a cross reference number for the Westerbeake filter, and then look up the diameter & pitch of their corresponding unit.

There are only about 4 common diameters & pitches, so it is usually pretty easy to track down what you have.

Doug
Thank you Doug. I kinda hijacked LISailor's post.
The Westerbeke part is 36918 and Baldwin B179.
On the Balwin site the thread is 20mm X 1.5 which points me to part number 15718 on the Derale site LISailor posted.
Is the “remote filter landing” the size of the gasket OD?
Thanks for your assistance.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 20:36   #8

The remote filter landing is the width of the mating surface for the oil filter.

The remote filter in the kit you are looking at has 3/4" x 16 threads. They recommend using a Fram PH8A. This is a REAL common filter and many people make a similar filter (Fram, STP, Baldwin, etc) that you can cross reference too.

A lot of times these filters are on sale at auto parts stores, Walmart, etc for $3 - a huge savings over the cost of a Westerbek (or Volvo Penta, Yamaha, Perkins, etc) filter.

There are also numerous different lengths of filter housings with the 3/4 x 16 thread. This is all from memory, but they go from 2" to 8" long - so you should easily be able to find one that will fit in the space you have available.

Try and position the bottom of the remote filter so there is at least 2" of clearance between it and the bilge/hull/etc. You'll need this space so you can unspin and remove/drop the filter for replacing with a new filter cartridge.

It helps to buy the filter you are going to be using so you can get these clearances right when you are doing your installation!

A hot tip is to put a couple of plastic bags (one inside the other) under/around the old filter cartridge before you loosen/remove it. Once fully loosen, the used oil from the cartridge and the oil hoses will run into the bag - instead of the bilges.

Another hot tip is to fill the new oil filter cartridge with clean oil before screwing it back on. This will reduce the amount of time that you have a "dead spot" in your oil system.

Once you have installed the remote filter assembly, you can change out an oil filter in about 5-minutes and at a fraction of the cost.
Old 23-03-2015, 04:51   #9

Boat: Sabre 36

Thanks everyone for the great responses as usual. I think I am going to try one of these kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
LIsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 05:19   #10
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIsailor View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses as usual. I think I am going to try one of these kits.
For anyone planning the switch to a remote filter setup, you might consider going the extra mile with a bypass filter arrangement...

Steve D'Antonio offers a good explanation why...

PassageMaker - November/December 2012
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil filter, westerbeke