Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 12:14   #1

Westerbeke again?

HI..I have eliminated several otherwise nice Beneteau boats just because they have the Westerbeke engine. I have gotten the impression that they have expensieve parts issues/availability and reliability issues....can I please get some feedback on this...seems Yamar is the gold standard here..which is important to me....
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:26   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Westerbeke again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
HI..I have eliminated several otherwise nice Beneteau boats just because they have the Westerbeke engine. I have gotten the impression that they have expensieve parts issues/availability and reliability issues....can I please get some feedback on this...seems Yamar is the gold standard here..which is important to me....
Depends of the modell, no big difference IMO but I try to stay away from Yanmar so it really depends of ones experiences
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 20:05   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Yanmar is WHAT?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 20:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Regarding reliability of the Westerbeke, yes to some degree it depends on the model but also how well maintained the engine has been.

In general the Westerbekes are quite good engines, but FYI Westerbeke does not manufacture engines. They buy the blocks from other companies, commonly Mitsubishi and do the marinization. Also, some Westerbekes are identical to certain Perkins engines. If you can find out the block or Perkins equivalent you can save a fortune in parts (yes Westerbeke parts are grossly overpriced).

My Pearson has a Westerbeke W58. Bit of detective work I discovered that the W58 is just a Perkins 4.154 painted red. New fresh water pump from Westerbeke (complete with red paint) $280 list, $240 discount. Identical water pump from Perkins (with blue paint) I found from a heavy equipment dealer for $90.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 20:31   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Then you have the good 'ol Volvo MD11C
Rear trans seal from Volvo, almost 150 bucks, $100 discounted.
Timken version (better design) from a local bearing house, $14.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 21:04   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The most expensive part on any boat is the one that is hardest to get to

We have a WB46 based on a mitsu block. I will not kid you, the parts (particularly the oil seals) are expensive. After replacing my seals, the engine still leaks oil like crazy. It stopped for a while but came back. With that said, the engines are work horses - heck they are Mitsubishi truck and fork lift engines! They run forever. Mine starts up right away and just runs and runs.

I would not shy away from an WB engine because - for the most part - things like the water pump and the starter are pretty common and not unique to Westerbekes. After my experience with a oil leak I wouldn't shy away from one that has a leak either. Its so cheap just to keep a pad under the engine and feed it a cup of oil every month or so.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 23:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Never heard anyone criticize Westerbeke engines on that basis.

The Perkins-based ones leak oil like crazy, but they are legendary for longevity and reliability.

Can't say anything about the Mitsubishi-based ones, but a Japanese fork lift engine . . . what can I say . . . that just cannot be something bad.

I've had both Yanmar and Westerbeke. Both good, and Westerbeke easier to get generic parts for.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24   #8

Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe my Westerbeke 71c is Isuzu block which was designed by Perkins.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe my Westerbeke 71c is Isuzu block which was designed by Perkins.
I thought Mazda block, but ???

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:48   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I was using (2) Westerbeke gensets and I did not like the engines - corrosion problems, starting problems, etc. I would not buy a Westerbeke engine for my own boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I thought Mazda block, but ???
Might be aswell, thou not important untill I need to get something fixed..
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The most expensive part on any boat is the one that is hardest to get to

We have a WB46 based on a mitsu block. I will not kid you, the parts (particularly the oil seals) are expensive. After replacing my seals, the engine still leaks oil like crazy. It stopped for a while but came back. With that said, the engines are work horses - heck they are Mitsubishi truck and fork lift engines! They run forever. Mine starts up right away and just runs and runs.

I would not shy away from an WB engine because - for the most part - things like the water pump and the starter are pretty common and not unique to Westerbekes. After my experience with a oil leak I wouldn't shy away from one that has a leak either. Its so cheap just to keep a pad under the engine and feed it a cup of oil every month or so.
Leaking again!!! I recall all the trouble you had sourcing a new rear main seal. Discouraging to hear it's leaking again. Do you think the shaft is scored? I can't remember if you used a new seal with a press on sleeve for the shaft or if the new seal rides on the shaft itself. If the later, the next time you're in there, you may want to replace the seal with the one with the sleeve for the shaft. Did you measure shaft run-out? Could also be the problem.

To the OP, I would certainly not rule out a WB engine. Parts are expensive from WB, but a little research will find the PN of the original manufacturer's parts, which will be more reasonable. The engines themselves are industrial and seem overbuilt. They run and run.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Please please please...WESTERBEKE DOES NOT BUILD DIESEL ENGINES...they only marinize other manufacturers engines. So to say Westerbeke is a bad engine is to say Perkins, Isuzu and Mitsubishi are bad engines. Just not true. If you work on your engine and it then leaks oil, it is likely the person that worked on it that did the leak repair incorrectly. I had a Westerbeke 4-107, based on a Perkins. Yes, it leaks out of the main seal. Having been a Triumph motorcycle race and mechanic in another life, I knew the short comings of English engines...inadequate venting. On the 4-107 I increased the crankcase venting...no more leaks.
Yanmar is a great engine...but try replacing a raw water pump vane on a 4JH sometime...fun! I've had Volvos, Perkins base Westerbeke, Perkins Prima and Yanmar. They all have their quirks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00   #14

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Yanmar is what?
Eliminating sail boats because of their engine does not make sense to me. A good boat with a terrible engine can be fixed. What happens to a terrible boat with a good engine?

I had two boats with WB engines and I have one on my current, very reliable.
Of course as it was said, it depends how it was maintained but that goes to every engine.
Yanmar parts are not that cheaper than WB. The prices are high, but you need to do your home work and plan accordingly.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393

I have a B393 with a 40 hp. Westerbeke 44A. When looking, I wanted a Yanmar 4JH4E as it is rated at 54 hp. My research at that time showed little difference in reliability or maintenance cost.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke