Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 09:36   #1

Volvo MD1B oil pressure

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone out there can help me. I've just fitted a MD1B in my old yole. The engine was overhauled about 10 years ago and has since sat unused in dry storage. I've changed the oil and put on a new filter. I have also put on a new fuel pump (not the lift pump) and everything looks very good. I've removed the starter as my old wooden boat has no electrics and the engine fires up instantly with a easy crank of the handle. I've only let her run for a few seconds but she sounds just as she should, no unexpected bangs, knocks or rattles. I've replaced the oil warning sensor with an oil pressure gauge but nothing registers. I've taken the gauge off and no oil appears from the hole in the crank case. I've dismantled the oil pump but all seems perfect. The two pinions are rotating freely and with no obvious play. Don't know where next to look. It's as if the pump is not taking the oil up from the sump. I was expecting the oil to take a few seconds to fill filter etc. but nothings happening and I've cranked the engine by hand for a good long time. Am I doing something really stupid? Is there something I've overlooked. Have looked at manuals but they don't give much info or good diagrams.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Beginning to wish I'd left the rusty, smokey old MD1 in the boat, but at 55 years old I thought I'd give her a rest.

Pentland
Pentland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 09:53   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Volvo MD1B oil pressure

I've seen this before. On some engines you can take a squirt can and prime the pump through the oil presure guage port on the block oil gallery. Pump in a full squirt can of oil. They probably did not rebuild the pump so it's little loose inside. On some engines you need to wait. I used to have rule of thumb of 45 sec on old airplane engines with no pressure at idle. Our Perkins is terrible with this. The oil drain line from the bottom of the sump pulls oil out from right under the pump and leaves it empty and out of prime so it takes a while to get pressure. I hate it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:38   #3

Hi Pentland. Many years ago I had an MD2b. I think I am right in saying that the MD1 has the same oil system. I had the same problem after changing the oil one winter. I asked a local charter firm which had a fleet of boats at the time fitted with MD2's if they had any idea what the problem could be and the mechanic immediately said "sooking air". When asked to explain he said that the oil pump sucks the oil up through the filter which is part of the dip stick assembly. If the screw in dip stick is not sealed properly then the pump will draw air in past the dip stick rather than suck oil up from the sump. A new rubber o ring on the dip stick and hey presto problem solved. Hope this helps.
Harold

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Moody guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:56   #4

Thanks to both Guy and Moody Guy! I've got some idea from both of you. Will get up early tomorrow armed with oil can and selection of O rings. Will let you know how I get on. Great to think that there's people out there with helpful comment.
Pentland.
Old 17-07-2015, 16:10   #5

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Thanks to both Guy and Moody Guy! I've got some idea from both of you. Will get up early tomorrow armed with oil can and selection of O rings. Will let you know how I get on. Great to think that there's people out there with helpful comment.
Pentland.
It takes a special spanner to remove or tighten the dipstick strainer. You can spend a fortune for one at your friendly Volvo dealer or... go to Harbor freight and get an adjustable spanner for about 5 bucks. http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 05:46   #6

Thanks to all three gents. I went down to the boat this morning after the rain stopped armed with o rings, alan keys to remove strainer, and about 1cwt of tools ready to do battle. Started with the o-ring and gave her a couple of turns with the handle. Euphoria!! gauge shot up to about 50 psi. Have now run the engine for about 30 mins. Sounds great just like a watch after ten years in storage. At idle pressure still up about 40. Forgot to say that last night I squirted some oil into the pressure gauge hole.
Thanks for the advice re spanner Bill.
So between you gents you've saved me from even more grey hair.
Can't thank you enough. Forums like this one really reinforce one's faith in humanity!
The weather has cleared a good bit and I can see across the Pentland Firth now so I think its time to take 77year old girl fishing! Back in her element after three years ashore.
Pentland

Tags
oil, volvo