Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2007, 04:23   #16

John,
Racor has a check valve in all the units larger than 15 GPH (120 series).

I noted this as a problem, but I also think he's pulling a vacuum as a second problem.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:23   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
John,
Racor has a check valve in all the units larger than 15 GPH (120 series).

I noted this as a problem, but I also think he's pulling a vacuum as a second problem.
OK, thanks, but the larger Racor sizes, 200 and 400, also say that they can be on the pressure side with a 15-30 psi max pressure depending on model. I don't see why it matters whether you are pushing or pulling on a check valve. The 400 series installation guide does say why the vacuum side installation is recommended, a pump before the filter emulsifies the water hindering filter performance.

http://www.parker.com/EAD/Digital_as...asset_id=29517

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 07:38   #18

John,
I don't have any experience with that filter. Personally I don't believe the 100,200,400 series are a good choice for offshore work. I like to see the 500 as a minimum for an off shore boat. My reasoning is simple. You can change the element with minimal disturbance to the fuel system. in most cases rebleeding is not necessary.

I don't know what the OP has for filters, he hasn't stated. But if it is 500's they don't like to be pressurized.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 14:36   #19

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Can you help? I have the starvation problem with my D2-40's in my cat. I have added dual Racor and check out everthing and still the same old problem. I have you found an answer yet? Ni Orsi at niorsi@gmail.com Thank you for your helping.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 17:19   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Breathing Easy?

Have you checked that the breather lines to your tank(s) are clear and of the correct size?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 05:40   #21

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Fuel Starvation D2-40 Volvo

I received this answer from an other Dolphin 460 owner: We removed the old line and replaced it with copper tubing that was measured to be just off the bottom the bottom of the tank once installed.

We also noticed that on the pickup lines there was some small pieces of rubber tubing that were actually kinking/bending on the bottom of the tank so we removed those. Have not had any fuel problems since then and that was a year ago and alot of miles...

Hope this help someone else.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:49   #22

Re: Volvo D2 diesels - fuel starvation

I'm going to jump in after reading all that has been said and provide some info. as to the fuel starvation issue and answers I've came up with.
First, the hand prime pumps fail, this was told to me by a Volvo dealer.
Second, he has seen them right out of the box fail to work, they leak air.
Third, I will be picking up a new pump up tomorrow, after its been checked to work and see how long it lasts, the original lasted for four years. However after changing filters out a few times the problem (air) in the system became apparent. The last straw was it would not hold a prime to even start the engine. So I will keep the group posted as to the out come of the events that lead up to this posting.
Rollo
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 18:52   #23

I'm going to jump in after reading all that has been said and provide some info. as to the fuel starvation issue and answers I've came up with.
First, the hand prime pumps fail, this was told to me by a Volvo dealer.
Second, he has seen them right out of the box fail to work, they leak air.
Third, I will be picking up a new pump up tomorrow, after its been checked to work and see how long it lasts, the original lasted for four years. However after changing filters out a few times the problem (air) in the system became apparent. The last straw was it would not hold a prime to even start the engine. So I will keep the group posted as to the out come of the events that lead up to this posting.
Rollo
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:30   #24

Boat: Frienship 40
Re: Volvo D2 Diesels - Fuel Starvation

I think that the filter should be at the suction side and not at the pressure side of the line because the pressure at the suction side is limited to atsmosferic pressure while pressure on the pressure side has no limits. That location lowers the risk of braking the filtering element and protects the pump and engine from clogging.
Navarca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel starvation, volvo