Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 18:03   #1

Boat: Peterson, Sloop, 34'
Universal M2-12

Hello all,

So my 1977 Peterson 34 has a Universal 2 cylinder. I was told 16/17hp??

My issue is that the valve cover vent has no hose attached, there is a hose nearby stuck into a beer can, but I cant see how that could go on this vent pipe at that angle. So, I'm trying to find any sort of picture or data on this engine. Maybe if I could see the Kaboda version of it I could use a pic of that engine??

I'll try to find a pic. However I have a video of it (and the other issue) on the "tube". I'll see if I can post it here.

I'll update this and add the video link after Youtube is done processing the video.

ANY help on repairing the vent issue, or the leak on the exhaust cooler would be wonderful.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	80780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	80781  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	80782  
Vancefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 19:15   #2

Re: Universal M2-12

Here is the video:
Old 09-05-2014, 05:40   #3

The "12" at the end indicates the maximum horsepower. So, no, not 16-17hp, but rather 12hp maximum for short periods. It is rated for 10hp continuous operation.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27   #4

Actually the M2-12 is a guess. I can't find an actual picture of THIS engine anywhere. The closest I've found online was a black and white shot of a M2-12 which looked the most similar, which is why I am guessing that is what it is.

If anyone had ANY pictures of that engine I could confirm it. Unfortunately the ONLY site I've found with pictures of that engine wants $$ JUST to see that ONE picture.

HENCE why I'm here asking questions. IS this an M2-12? Can anyone tell me where that hose might belong? Does it go on that cover vent? Is an M2-12 743cc??

I honestly thought the data on engines was simple to obtain. THIS engine looks to be hidden from the world. I can't find ANYTHING about it anywhere.

Hence the pics and Video to help me/us find something I can work with.

Thanks for the data on the engine this maybe COULD be. Do you know this is an M2-12?? or are you just going by what I said in the title?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20   #5

Re: Universal M2-12???

I found this site, with a Manual download for some Universal engines.

Engines1 | Westerbeke, Universal, Marine Engines, AGM Batteries, Engine Controls Knowledgebase

Looking at that doesn't really help me at all unfortunately. I can almost say for sure that it's NOT an M2-12. It also doesn't look like either M-12 or the M-18.

At this point I have no idea what it is. Other then the obvious Universal written on the top of that silver coolant box, and the fact that is does LOOK a lot like a Universal. I'm really at a loss.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:33   #6

Have you considered getting in touch with Universal or at least Torreson directly? You have pictures, they have the experts. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35   #7

I think it looks a lot like an M-20, also listed as a 5416. http://engines1.novosolutions.net/de...69&Lang=1&SID=

Both the 16hp and the 743cc (45 cubic inches) fit. As well as the shape of the air intake (hard to see in the video).

NOW, to try and figure out this hose issue. :-)

Just found this copy of my engine, with no info though. lol

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51   #8

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Out of curiousity does anyone know what the number stamped on the exhaust manifold is? On mine I had always assumed it was just a part number but when I tried to look up the number in the picture here in universal catalog all I came up with was a lock washer. Thought maybe if you could look that up (or any other part up) you could cross reference it to it's engine model.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:53   #9

I found the PDF service manual for both the M20 and M30. This last video might be an M30. Mine is an M20.

The parts list has the valve cover vent listed as a Breather hose. So that question is answered. Now to figure out what the beer can hose is. Might it be the match, simply tied off in an unusual way??

Plus needing to figure out that exhaust cooler tower thing. What is that all about?? (My first diesel inboard BTW).
Old 09-05-2014, 10:08   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

This is probably no help, but the valve cover vent hose on my Universal M-18 is attached by a clip to the side of the air intake snorkel. This appears to be OEM. I think the idea is that any fumes/blow by are sucked back into the engine instead of venting into the engine compartment. Beer can may have been an option.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26   #11

I might agree with you Steve.

However it looks like the beer can hose is most likely a coolant overflow line, Without a reservoir to attach to.

The vent hose is simply, completely gone, not there at all! I see a clip on the Air filter housing to hold the other end though. So I think I'm just fully missing my vent hose.

Now the question turns into,.. IS that where my oil leak originates? If so (which seems less likely now) why is so much oil making it out of that vent?

The previous "owner" said the oil leak was the valve cover gasket, which might also be correct.

I sure wish I was at the boat to look for myself!!

What is that "tank" located over my exhaust T called? Being new to these marine inboards I have no clue on that thing.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:40   #12

ITWMB, and since you're in Denver, why not call, and find someone, then you can email them the picture and they'll save you and us a lot of guessing.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
ITWMB, and since you're in Denver, why not call, and find someone, then you can email them the picture and they'll save you and us a lot of guessing.
What? and what is ITWMB?

I have most of the answers I needed now Stu.

1. The engine is an M20.
2. the Valve cover vent goes to the Air intake.
3. The Beer can hose is a coolant overflow line, without a tank (With a crinkled 12oz tank technically).

At this point the only question is a UNIVERSAL (lol) question about the exhaust cooling "tank"??
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53   #14

I made it up, since it comes into use so often

if this was my boat...

Glad to hear you've made progress.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18   #15

Ah I see!

So no answer to the last question?

Can I just eliminate that weird tank looking thing that is obviously part of the exhaust system? Many other boats don't look like they have that thing (whatever it is). I know it leaks exhaust into the cabin, from what the last "owner" told me. Hence that (only an idiot would ever buy it) plaster exhaust cast.

If I knew what that thing was called I could look into the cost of a new one. As it is I don't even understand what it does OR why it's there.