Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 00:21   #1

Seeking Injector Line for Westerbeke W-30

Hi-

Just joined the forum tonight. I have a friend with a Sabre 34, powered by a Westerbeke W30. The fuel line to the #1 injector weeps fuel where it mates to the injector. These lines are no longer available from Westerbeke, and calls to various Westerbeke dealers haven't turned up any old new stock.

I ordered what i thought was an equivalent part from ASAP in the UK, but it didn't quite fit. I'm stumped and wondering if anybody has found a source for these fuel lines.
bobdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 04:25   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Seeking injector line for Westerbeke W-30

Welcome aboard! There is post on the forum from someone parting out his W-30...you might check that out if you haven't already. Good luck!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 04:43   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience

There was a guy on the allied seawind yahoo parting one out a while back & welcome.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 05:01   #4

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Welcome aboard! There is post on the forum from someone parting out his W-30...you might check that out if you haven't already. Good luck!
It was me, but the lines were sold with the injection pump. Sorry!
Jack
s/v The Way
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 09:12   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Hi-

Just joined the forum tonight. I have a friend with a Sabre 34, powered by a Westerbeke W30. The fuel line to the #1 injector weeps fuel where it mates to the injector. These lines are no longer available from Westerbeke, and calls to various Westerbeke dealers haven't turned up any old new stock.

I ordered what i thought was an equivalent part from ASAP in the UK, but it didn't quite fit. I'm stumped and wondering if anybody has found a source for these fuel lines.

Do some home work, determine which manufacturers engine this is, and check places like Tractor Supply or Tractornet.com, and save a bundle on parts.
Old 28-01-2012, 09:24   #6

Boat: departure 35

It's just quarter inch double flared steel line right? I've always made them when I needed one. Whatever the size take it to napa and tell them you want a piece the same diameter and wall thickness and ask them to ID the flare type so they can sell you the right tool. A tubing bender is real cheap too.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:16   #7

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Thanks for the response. The problem is the mating surfaces, which are apparently heat-shrunk onto the ends. It's not just a simple flare. I'm thinking there must be some place that does this kind of work.
Hi Bob,

You are right that it is not just a simple flare like a fuel line. It's much stronger than that. It's a double-wall steel tube, according to one of my many mechanics.

The W30 is based on a British Leyland 1.5-liter engine (according to Engines One in Norfolk, VA), so you might try to find a line for that. I doubt if Westerbeke would have modified the fuel delivery system.

Good luck!
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 13:43   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive re solder had some luck with silver solder and a file and crockus cloth! you need more heat then normal soldering, but it can be done with care! just clean the part up well and use the proper solder must be silver soldar not regular. reseal the tube to flange and the face surfaces to correct any unevenness file and smooth it up. make sure to annaneal the copper gaskets, new if possible Ive fixed a lot of different lines this way on lots of different diesel engines. can't hurt to try just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 05:24   #9

Boat: departure 35

It's not a double wall. I haven't worked on one of this brand in many years but I'm pretty sure it's just a standard double flare. Those are easy. It's no different than a brake line or most other diesel lines. I just had to make two of them for a friends boat this month, a perkins in his, and it only cost me about 5 bucks each for the line. I already have the tools for them.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 06:18   #10

There are a couple W30 lines for sale on Ebay. See item number 330677211714.
Waterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 07:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterjack View Post
There are a couple W30 lines for sale on Ebay. See item number 330677211714.
Thanks, great find! I'll be bidding on it.
Old 02-02-2012, 22:52   #12

Re: Seeking Injector Line for Westerbeke W-30

I won the auction, and the parts should arrive on the 8th or 9th. Thanks for the tip, Waterjack
Old 26-02-2012, 11:08   #13

Westerbeke Fuel Line Update

So I just wanted to post an update, along with an additional thank-you to Waterjack for the tip about the Westerbeke fuel lines for sale on eBay. When the parts arrived earlier this month, I was excited to see them wrapped in their original packaging, complete with part labels on them and plastic end caps. A great score for 1 US Dollar! However, when I fished out the number 1 line, which was the one we needed, I was dismayed to see that its plastic packaging had ripped, the end caps were off, and one end of the line was covered in rust. I couldn't even turn the connector that threads onto the injector.

At that point, after more disheartening searching for a replacement, I decided it was at least worth seeing if I could re-hab it somehow. A few hours of quality time with naval jelly, WD-40, and emery cloth actually cleaned it up pretty well. Last weekend, we hooked it up and with great anticipation cranked the starter, only to see that we had yet another leak, which we eventually, and I do mean eventually, tracked down to the fuel pump itself.

After some searching around (search and re-search), we decided to have it rebuilt. We took it off and left it with Diamond Diesel in Oakland. They overhauled it in three days for one Boat Dollar, and we installed it. I have to respect the Brits, who apparently converted the original BMC 1.5L car engine to diesel, for their ability to snake a bunch of fuel lines around numerous obstacles on the way to the cylinder head, but it didn't make re-installing and wrenching the lines a carefree process, shall we say.

With everything finally attached, we puzzled through the confusing and inaccurate Westerbeke instructions (bleed bolt mis-identified) for bleeding the system and cranked it. And cranked it some more. It finally caught, sputtered, and then, wonder of wonders, settled down to a delightful--if you like the sound of a contented diesel engine--purr. We plan to try it out on the Bay next week.

So my clutching-at-straws investment of a little time on this forum has paid huge dividends. Thanks to all who participate in it and make it such a valuable resource.

Tags
westerbeke