Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 08:44   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Radiator Hose used as Stuffing Box Hose

Thanks Happy! I hadn't thought of Fisheries Supply.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:47   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Thanks Happy! I hadn't thought of Fisheries Supply.
Joo bet Mang!

Cheap too eh?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:54   #18

I think it would work in a pinch. But I would only do it if I had to. Let's face it, radiator hose goes for about 20 years in a 200 + degree environment under a pressure of 7-14 psi. Your typical stuffing box has 0 pressure and cold water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:58   #19

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think it would work in a pinch. But I would only do it if I had to. Let's face it, radiator hose goes for about 20 years in a 200 + degree environment under a pressure of 7-14 psi. Your typical stuffing box has 0 pressure and cold water.
That is the worst analysis on this topic yet. Completely ignores the load difference that is placed on the stuffing box hose vs. that applied to a radiator hose that at most has vibration to contend with. The reason for the difference in thickness and strength has absolutely nothing to do with the heat the hose is exposed to or the bursting strength under pressure.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:40   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Back to I'd use it in a pinch, but rather use exhaust hose if I couldn't get the right thing, or look for steam hose, very close to exhaust hose actually, stiff and very strong.

We are talking in a pinch as in got to find something, correct thing not available.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 11:50   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I agree. If it is a matter of time/expense for a short time I would do it and plan to replace next opportunity. I would keep some rescue tape next to it to be handy, wait I do that anyway after the bellows on my dripless split once.
Old 19-12-2014, 12:53   #22

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Any of the regular marine supply sources...

Packing Box Hose - Buck Algonquin | Fisheries Supply

defender
WM
Jamestown?
wholesalemarine
I'd kind of like to see the OP name the incompetent vendor who sent them the wrong size hose, so as to avoid them (if it's not against site rules).
If the OP were in a domestic location it might be a barely excusable error probably easily rectified (and gratis).
But the OP is overseas and constrained by haulout timing, expense, etc. A major hassle and potentially hazardous if 'McGuyvered/juryrigged' with radiator hose.
In any case the erring vendor should have tried to fix this SNAFU ASAP, if properly notified.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:54   #23

Boat: CSY 44 WO

Thanks for all the input. I have notified the marina who will do the haul out to import the correct size stuffing box hose. They can have it air freighted in. Some cruisers are currently having trouble with Fed-ex packages hung up in customs for 4 weeks so I am hoping the marina has a better agent. We haul out on Jan 8. I have notified the original supplier and have requested my money back. I ordered part number H455 but received H465. I suppose an easy mistake to make. Fortunately for me, the mistake is on their end not my end because they may not have been as understanding as I am given it is only a $20 part. So much for having every thing ready ahead of time! Again, thanks for answering my question.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
johnsgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 02:58   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsgj View Post
Thanks for all the input. I have notified the marina who will do the haul out to import the correct size stuffing box hose. They can have it air freighted in. Some cruisers are currently having trouble with Fed-ex packages hung up in customs for 4 weeks so I am hoping the marina has a better agent. We haul out on Jan 8. I have notified the original supplier and have requested my money back. I ordered part number H455 but received H465. I suppose an easy mistake to make. Fortunately for me, the mistake is on their end not my end because they may not have been as understanding as I am given it is only a $20 part. So much for having every thing ready ahead of time! Again, thanks for answering my question.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glad things appear to have a direction towards progress! RE the radiator hose, sounds like good idea in theory... BUT.... Can you picture the packing gland being a smidge misaligned under different loads due to the flex in the hose... getting hot... shaft now binding on the gland... and a twisted shredded mess of a hose with water pouring in when it seizes? Plus shaft damage... Not saying it would happen, just a possibility...

You might investigate doing this in the water if the haulout/customs timing gets all hosed up... (I kill me )... Putty up your shaft where it exits the hull and pull some packing... See if you can stem the flow... That way you know if it's possible if the haulout timing gets clustered up!

Old 20-12-2014, 03:06   #25

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

that would involve pulling the shaft out of the coupling which is typically quite a task, depending on coupling type.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 03:44   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
that would involve pulling the shaft out of the coupling which is typically quite a task, depending on coupling type.
Indeed... Needs to be uncoupled sometime soon though! Depending on the access and room, sliding the shaft end to the gland may be plenty...

Old 23-12-2014, 21:12   #27

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I have thought that jamming some modelling clay around the prop shaft in the cutlass bearing would be a good leak stopper.
Use the readily available "wax seal". It's for plumbing applications. $1.49 at your big box home center
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 21:54   #28

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Packing Box Hose - Buck Algonquin | Fisheries Supply

Just my opinion but using the 6 ply Buck Algonquin hose for your stuffing box is the way to go. The hose will hold up to the torsional loads it is continuously exposed to.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 05:38   #29

Boat: Scout 30

One trick to getting the coupling off the shaft is to break the coupling apart & then place a socket slightly smaller than the shaft diameter against the end of the shaft. Re-attach the coupling to the transmission & as you tighten it down the socket pushes the shaft out the back of the coupling.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2014, 05:46   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
One trick to getting the coupling off the shaft is to break the coupling apart & then place a socket slightly smaller than the shaft diameter against the end of the shaft. Re-attach the coupling to the transmission & as you tighten it down the socket pushes the shaft out the back of the coupling.
Good one Scout!