Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 14:31   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: oil change pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
There are some days when I wonder why I log in to CF, and then there are other days when I learn a bunch of new things. Here I am, having been doing things the same way for years, accept the limitations, and never even think to ask a question about it.

Along comes the OP (thank you) and asks, and out pop a bunch of options for what may be a better mousetrap (thanks to all who made the suggestions). These are the things I love on this forum.

As to tube down the dipstick, or suck from the top, I've tried both, and in my sump about 1/4 of the oil gets left behind if I suck from the top. With less than a gallon in the thing that's not a lot, but at the same time I like to get as much as possible. Guess it depends on the design of the sump and the 'stick tube.

Thanks again (even if I'm not the OP) for teaching an old dog new tricks.
Great point. My suggestion would be to pull from dipstick tube until sucks dry, and then insert small tube to get more of rest. Without a drain plug at bottom of sump you'll never get it all.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 14:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
I have been using this one for a couple years. It might be a little big for some engines, but it works very well. It will extract cool oil pretty well..... but everyone probably knows that all extraction pumps work better if you warm the oil first.

Mityvac Fluid Evacuator — 2.3 Gal. Reservoir | Oil Extractors| Northern Tool + Equipment
I have this oil vaccum suck type. It's definitely the best I've had. I've had perm installed electrics etc, drill type (what a mess) but this type puts the oil directly in a reservoir so you don't have to make a mess transferring etc. The one I have has the pump directly on the storage reservoir, but similar to the one pictured.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:30   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Great point. My suggestion would be to pull from dipstick tube until sucks dry, and then insert small tube to get more of rest. Without a drain plug at bottom of sump you'll never get it all.

I can access the drain plug on my 4JHE, and out of curiosity after sucking the oil out with a small tube down th edipstick, I pulled the plug and no oil ran out, so on my engine at least I can say I get pretty much all that coul dbe drained out from the plug, now my plug is on the side, not on the bottom too, so there wil be a little left because of that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 16:30   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Attaching a hose to the dip stick tube is far superior to a small tube inserted in the dip stick tube. I don't know where I saw the suggestion to attach to the dip stick tube but I tried it and never looked back. I use the drill powered Jabsco pump.
It's faster but the dipstick tube does not go to the bottom of the oil pan. This leaves some oil that doesn't get removed.
Old 30-09-2014, 17:09   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Never wanted a vacuum suck pump because it seemed like a bulky way to make a big oily mess trying to store it between uses. After messing around with drill pumps and things that just didn't suck the oil out...tried one and fell in like with it.

IF you make sure to restrain the suction hose with both hands, so it can't fling dirty oil around the boat. And IF you use paper towels and a waiting bag to clean it up. And IF you double-bag it, with more paper towels in two plastic bags...all the mess can be constrained and you can actually chain the oil painlessly. Without electrical power. Without any splatter or mess.

Whatever is left in the pan, there's nothing to do so don't worry about it. A little old oil won't really contaminate the new oil very much after all.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:26   #21

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

If you do install a built-in hard-wired and hard-plumbed electric pump, do not place the switch near the companionway.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:28   #22

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's faster but the dipstick tube does not go to the bottom of the oil pan. This leaves some oil that doesn't get removed.
Depends on engine. On many Yanmars the dipstick tube is externally bolted to outside of oil pain on the bottom. Can't get much lower.

Also remember, it would be better to change the oil more often because it is easy, even if 10% of oil is left behind, than labor for perfection but change the oil less frequently because it's such a PITA to extract every last drop.

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:42   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfsurgpa View Post
I have a CD33, with a Yanmar diesel, are there any recommendations out there for a good hand oil pump. I know there is no clearance for draining the oil thru a plug, and that I will have to pull the warmed oil thru the dipstick. Thanks for any advice.
My Westerbeke pan is impossible to reach. It has a piped electric that is magnificent. I highly recommend this if you can pipe to the oil pan drain port. Perhaps a Banjo fitting?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03   #24

To the OP - FYI the west marine oil extractor is on sale for 40% off today (Friday). So now it is about the price it should be.--- $60

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23   #25

Re: Oil Change Pumps

I use a vacuum extractor I got from northern tool. Called a topsider. You pump a vacuum in the metal can stick the tube down the dipstick open the value. I can leave it walk away while it does it's job. No oil gets in any pump just goes in tank. Put new oil in engine then dump old oil right back in emptied oil. This works great for changing the oil in the sail drives because it can take 20 min. For all the gear oil to get up and out when cold so being able to leave it alone is huge.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
I use a vacuum extractor I got from northern tool. Called a topsider. You pump a vacuum in the metal can stick the tube down the dipstick open the value. I can leave it walk away while it does it's job. No oil gets in any pump just goes in tank. Put new oil in engine then dump old oil right back in emptied oil. This works great for changing the oil in the sail drives because it can take 20 min. For all the gear oil to get up and out when cold so being able to leave it alone is huge.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yep, I've pretty much had them all over the years and currently use one like that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 15:33   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjd View Post
To the OP - FYI the west marine oil extractor is on sale for 40% off today (Friday). So now it is about the price it should be.--- $60

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

That is the one I have and it works well, but it is a big thing though, I'm thinking drill pump one I begine cruising
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:21   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I'm thinking drill pump "
In theory they would work great. In practice? I've only tried to work with two and neither one was worth a tinker's dam. Buy it from someplace that offers a good return policy.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:47   #29

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is the one I have and it works well, but it is a big thing though, I'm thinking drill pump one I begine cruising
There is a smaller one, 2.7 quarts or so, designed for outboards. Works just as well, except for the midway dump.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change