Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 19:01   #1

Isolating Diesel Engine From Propellar

Hi,
I have a bad electrolisis problem on my steel sailboat , I have Hauled the boat to my yard to repair the damage (holes) and determine why the problem occured in the first place, my diesel engine was grounded to the hull , was this a mistake? I don`t have the isolating connection and bolt sleeves between shaft and and tranny, where could I get one of these? also should my aluminum mast be in contact with my steel hull?
I would also like to thank the people who replied to a previous post for help with this problem, BUT.......I can`tfind that place to thank them
So thank you in advance, you are all great people and very willing to help an old sailor with a problem (don`t do computers very well)

Ed Gushue, sailing Yawl "Estrellita IV "
roaminraulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Isolating Diesel Engine From Propellar

To stop a steel boat from wasting away I suggest that you use an isolated ground electrical system. This way the engine is inert electrically and you wont have the problems that you are now having.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 20:42   #3

Thank you Stanley,yes I have been told that is the thing to do,
Old 05-10-2014, 03:22   #4

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I doubt that this on its own would cause your problem. Our engine is connected to the negative side of our electrical system and has been for over 20 years no problems.
When the boat is not being used, there are switches that isolate the battery at each pole.
I suppose you could use an above ground alternator and also connect the negative line to your starter through a relay but you will still have to replace the oil pressure and temp senders with isolated units if you can get them.
This should not be necessary if you find the current leakage that is causing the problem.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:12   #5

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Aren't these usually shore power issues?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:50   #6

Thank You John for the reply, one "expert" told me that 99.9 per cent of the time on boats that he has investigated , the problem was on board,
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09   #7

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaminraulf View Post
Thank You John for the reply, one "expert" told me that 99.9 per cent of the time on boats that he has investigated , the problem was on board,
yes, the vessel's shore power arrangement. Do you have Calder's Mech/Elec book?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

I also have a steel boat which has a negative floating DC supply . e.g. negative is not connected to sea water.

When we bought the the boat we had electrolysis problems (heat exchangers, propeller, shaft) that we spent a few years sorting out, mainly by rewiring carefully,

We ended up fitting carbon brushes to the prop shaft to ground it out, see Product Catalogue - Marine Cathodic Protection - MGDUFF

I also came across the following link whilst I was looking for the MgMacDuff thing

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ver-56582.html

Good luck
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37   #9

Boat: Pearson 367, 36 Foot

Do you connect to shore power when at the dock and if so do you have an isolation transformer between the shore power and your boat?
Sailorlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaminraulf View Post
Hi,
I have a bad electrolisis problem on my steel sailboat , I have Hauled the boat to my yard to repair the damage (holes) and determine why the problem occured in the first place, my diesel engine was grounded to the hull , was this a mistake?
Yes...that is diffenately a mistake. You have essentially created a path from a D.C. negative (ground) to sea water and back to D.C. positive back through the sending units on the engine. the prop shaft is insolated by the cutlass bearing and the engine should be isolated vis the rubber isolatic mounts. So I am assuming you connected a cable from the engine to the hull. If so, remove it and ground the casting of the engine directly to the battery negative gang post. this will isolate the path. To check the system for other grounds to hull, you can put a volt meter from the hull itself to the positive terminal on the batteries. There should be no reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I doubt that this on its own would cause your problem. Our engine is connected to the negative side of our electrical system and has been for over 20 years no problems.
I am assuming the connection from the engine goes directly back to the negative battery and not through the hull.

Regards,
Richard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
I also have a steel boat which has a negative floating DC supply . e.g. negative is not connected to sea water.
Exactly
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, rope