Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 12:12   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: no air filter on Yanmar 3GM30?

The Yanmar filter has foam wrapped around that cone. It deteriorates with age. Pulled mine to check it and found it half eaten away and the rest turned to dust as I handled it. Get a new filter element.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:14   #32

Boat: Roberts25 26ft

Hi Runamuk!
Niemiec Marine in USA seem to sell them online
Part No: Yan128270 -12540. I am in Australia so I dont know the address.
There is also a www. Type: Yanmar 3GM30 air filters Images !
Hope that is helpful.
I have a Yanmar and replace the foam myself. Never a problem.
Best wishes Dieter Volga
Dieter Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:38   #33

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I just bought one for my Yanmar 1gm10 yesterday. The previous filter foam wrap deteriorated in my hand. $28.21 from MER in Seattle. Always use a filter. Its just bad advice not to use one. Use the manufactures design. Dust is not the only issue in a boat. Ever hear of rodents building nests in airfilter housings? I have seen it on more than on occasion. A well oiled foam filter also repels water intake. That is how I can fly my plane thru a rainstorm without choking my engine. Same principle on a boat if your taking on water.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:01   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikequig View Post
I'd like to fit a K&N but couldn't find a cross reference for my 3YM30 - which filter did you use?
Measure the diameter of the intake tube your filter clamps onto and go here and find one you like shape wise

K&N Universal Clamp-on Air Filters

I'd get one that has a rubber end so you can put a hole in it for the crankcase breather tube if that is where your breather tube mounts.

I used this one, but it may not be the one for you
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RU-2740
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:10   #35

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquetry 1 View Post
a marine engine requires a spark arrestor when mounted in an enclosed area . the way it works is the screen is so small a flame cant pass thru it.this keeps you safe in case of excessive fumes. the foam is optional. If your engine comp is clean and your pullys are not shedding the belt(another problem) you probably dont need the foam. never replace a spark arrestor with a papper automotive type filter system. it could get torn or burned and lead to an explotion. and never forget your blower to be safe.The moter boat act requires a spark arrestor on engines in an enclosed area. I hope this helps.this was my first post
This is rue on gasoline fueled engines but not on diesels.
Old 09-02-2016, 13:21   #36

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
Thanks Four Winds, but mine is a bit different (perhaps I should have given the full number - 4JH4JE); it's a square plastic box that's been thermally welded together, so no way can I actually put anything inside it! I guess it's just acting as a baffle.

Ps it has two circular holes: air in and air out.

Edit - It has three holes, the third for a breather pipe.

Interesting. And supports the idea that a filter is not needed. And something that would not have occured to me based on my experience with engines, though mostly gasoline.

As stated by others must be an intake silencer.
Old 09-02-2016, 13:34   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"silicon oxide is a by product of combustion"
News to me. I thought combustion resulted from oxidizing fuel.
Combining a mixture of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and a few trace gases results in a mixture of silicon and oxygen among other things.

The silicon (atomic number 14 ) comes from nuclear fission of the lighter elements carbon (atomic number 6) and oxygen (atomic number 8)
6 + 8 = 14

Where do you think the energy to drive your propeller comes from? Basically a diesel engine is a nuclear fission reactor.

It must be true. I read it on the internet!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 14:17   #38

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wostenberg View Post
Rhapsody-NS27
I have a yanmar 1 cylender and would like to have a manual and parts manual. How do I find which one I have?
Thank you
I previously posted a thread for Yanmar Parts Catalogs.

Mainly, look up your engine model at this site: LSM Diesel and you'll be able to find parts catalogs with the breakout of your engine.

For a 1 Cyl. engine, it'll be the 1GM or the 1GM10.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 15:31   #39

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I have a BMW 12hp single cyl. It came equipped with a paper mesh air filter. I was told I would probably never have to change it in my lifetime (I'm 83 ... there might be a message there) ... As well, both single cylinder BMW engines (7hp and the 12hp) do not use belts. The alternator is integral with the flywheel and the water pump is engine driven.
If I had an engine shredding belts - be it automotive or marine - I would seriously be looking at pulley alignment.
Another suggestion I might make for small, single cylinder engines would be to install 'segmented' belts. They run a whole lot smoother and quieter, and can reduce vibration caused by 'belt kink' ... although this probably would not be noticeable with larger engines.
If you are unfamiliar with segmented belts, they are sold "by the foot" and you need to know the width. Sold by Tool Stores and used mainly on table saws and similar power equipment. I changed them on my HD 5hp cabinet saw ... the difference was dramatic ... very much quieter and no more vibration ... I sometimes leave items on the table saw (not recommended) and they do not move at all.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 17:17   #40

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

I have a 3GM30F in my 41 Pearson, and found the foam on the conical metal frame completely disintegrated. I went to a large local lawn equipment shop with the perforated conical metal frame, and they found a plastic one the same size covered with foam, but about it was about 1/4 in longer (couldn't clamp the filter cover) but the foam fit perfectly on the original metal cone. It cost about $15.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 17:20   #41

Why do you need a filter? Nothing cleaner than sea air.
fnoldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 17:59   #42

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

Maybe nothing is cleaner than sea air, however it still has dirt in it and sometimes lots of dirt. Volcanic ash will travel hundreds of miles through the air. Forest fire smoke from northern Russia will travel to the US. The ash from burning sugar cane in the Philippines travels more than 5 miles and falls all over my boat deck.
Having said that my Yanmar diesel only has a screen and my Isuzu diesel has a large paper element.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 18:24   #43

Boat: patio cruiser 36

once again this isnt rocket science! if you dont have a dust problem in your boat you dont have one in your engine
marquetry 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 18:49   #44

Boat: Albin Vega 27

When your crankshaft belt pulley gets wet by either a coolant leak or boat flooded you will wish you had a well oiled air filter cause water will be going everywhere. Pests and vermin build nests in engine compartment housings, especially air intakes. Seen that twice before. Dont forget about mud-dobber wasps. That air intake is a great place for them to pack mud. So yes....air filter on a boat is needed. Unless you think that engineers and manufactures are wrong by installing them, good luck with that!
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 18:56   #45

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
Last week I was doing my pre-Spring maintenance by replacing fuel filters and changing the oil/filter. I removed the cover for my air filter and all thats in there is a perforated metal cone, there is no filter? this can't be right.

I have owned this boat for just over a year and I'm kicking myself now for not checking this earlier. Does anyone know what PN filter or an equivalent filter that I can use, I've heard that there is supposed to be a piece of foam wrapped around the metal cone but I would prefer to use a real filter element if possible.

Thank you in advance
That is not unusual. The engine room of a boat is pretty clean in terms of engine damaging abrasives.

The worst case scenario is probably ingesting fire extinguisher powder.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar