Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: no air filter on Yanmar 3GM30?

Normally marine engines do not have a filter, due to there just isn't that much dust on the water. Spark ignition engines do have a flame arrestor though, I believe a K&N will perform that function, even carburated Marine engines do not usually have an air filter.
However, I have noticed that the newer outboards do have air filters.
I want an airfilter, so I fitted one, cheap and easy to do, as I said until I went serpentine, that fine mesh on the factory filter was nearly clogged with belt dust, I'd rather that kind of thing not go through my engine.

My 4-JHE had an air intake outside dimension of 1.8", so I just ordered the appropriate K&N cone filter, $36.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10   #17

Boat: ODAY 28

yes should take a cone shaped filter, suggest replace and as stated above,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10   #18

Boat: Newport 30 MK 2 - 30'

Rhapsody-NS27
I have a yanmar 1 cylender and would like to have a manual and parts manual. How do I find which one I have?
Thank you
wostenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:52   #19

Boat: patio cruiser 36
Thumbs up Re: no air filter on Yanmar 3GM30?

a marine engine requires a spark arrestor when mounted in an enclosed area . the way it works is the screen is so small a flame cant pass thru it.this keeps you safe in case of excessive fumes. the foam is optional. If your engine comp is clean and your pullys are not shedding the belt(another problem) you probably dont need the foam. never replace a spark arrestor with a papper automotive type filter system. it could get torn or burned and lead to an explotion. and never forget your blower to be safe.The moter boat act requires a spark arrestor on engines in an enclosed area. I hope this helps.this was my first post
marquetry 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:28   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

This is where sending out an oil sample can be helpful. They'll tell you right out if there is silicon contamination in the oil, and that's usually caused by ingesting fine dust particles from the air. Offshore, no problem. Inshore, varies with the winds and the terrain. If there's no silicon in the oil, you probably don't need the fine filter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30   #21

Boat: Newport 30 MK 2 - 30'

My Yanmar 1 cylinder doesn't have one and the company who rebuild it said it didn't have one. I haven't had a problem until last week when we smelled and saw a little smoke in the cabin. I checked and nothing was burning, and we haven't had a problem since.
I think I need one, but the intake is right behind the stairs.
I was thinking this would be a good forum?
Thank you for the help
wostenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Part 129470-12330. Not much of a filter though. Notice the fine mesh around the inner part.

The older models have the foam around the part with the grid of holes.

My guess is the new style solves the degrading foam issue. I may consider using this new style. Looks to be the same dimensions.
Thanks Four Winds, but mine is a bit different (perhaps I should have given the full number - 4JH4JE); it's a square plastic box that's been thermally welded together, so no way can I actually put anything inside it! I guess it's just acting as a baffle.

Ps it has two circular holes: air in and air out.

Edit - It has three holes, the third for a breather pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110516.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	118656  
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:39   #23

You don't need a filter. Not sure I've ever had a diesel that had one. It's not like you are driving dusty roads like in a car.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:06   #24

Boat: Casacde 36

I see that the part number of the correct filter has been provided. Gently wash and re-oil and it should last a lifetime. Not very sophisticated, but not much dust to deal with either.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:11   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Those ones with snorkel tubes, or maybe boxes etc.
I wouldn't remove them for a K&N cone filter etc., reason is I feel pretty sure they are resonators, and may significantly reduce engine noise, remove them and you may get what is called intake "Honk", a lot of noise can from the intake side of an engine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:38   #26

silicon oxide is a by product of combustion.engine oil is what washes it away from critical parts. this is one of the reasons oil needs changing.A better way to find whats happening in your engine is to cut open the used oil filter and see whats filtered out. oil filters have a micron specification to tell you how small a partical can get thru it( if it gets thru its to small to damage the engine ). save your money on sending out a sample and change your oil more often. A large engine (3000 hp ) its usfull because of the amount of oil in the crankcase.you can buy a tool at a parts store just for this (A type of can opener ).
Old 09-02-2016, 11:44   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"silicon oxide is a by product of combustion"
News to me. I thought combustion resulted from oxidizing fuel. Like the Wikipedia says:
Petroleum-derived diesel is composed of about 75% saturated hydrocarbons (primarily paraffins including n, iso, and cycloparaffins), and 25% aromatic hydrocarbons (including naphthalenes and alkylbenzenes).[54] The average chemical formula for common diesel fuel is C12H23, ranging approximately from C10H20 to C15H28.[55]"
There are no appreciable amounts of silicon in there to begin with, so where does it come from?
Blackstone are also quite certain that high silicon levels in engine oil result from the air intake allowing dust to enter. Nothing personal, but I don't think they're totally wrong about that, especially considering the lack of other normal silicon sources.
Sure, diesel starts out in the ground, but it gets way processed before it gets into the cylinder.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:51   #28

Boat: Beneteau 343 - Sea Flourishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I fit a K&N on mine as I am real familiar with them.
But sometimes the airfilter housing is actually a noise muffler too, so often if you replace that housing with a K&N, the engine gets loud.
Ever "flipped the lid" on a car airfilter when you were a kid?
I'd like to fit a K&N but couldn't find a cross reference for my 3YM30 - which filter did you use?
mikequig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:54   #29

Our old 71 series Detroit Diesel has a box with a wire screen about 3/16 mesh. It is a silencer. The filter mesh is to keep rags and other stuff out of the blower intake. Later versions went to a cone filter similar to a K&N but we never got around to filtering out the belt dust and other stuff that accumulates at sea. Leaking exhaust from a companion engine getting ingested is a mess to deal with, with or without a smaller micron filter.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:03   #30

this is not rocket science just common sense . but part off prossesing is filtering out the ground it came from( remember micron specs ) the more filltering the more cost per gallon.diesels are tough ,in use in hardest conditions,they dont need jet fuel.save your money. change oil more often cut open filter if in doubt.unnless you own a cruise ship.cuntaminated fuel never happens?

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar