Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 20:58   #1

Kubota Tractor Model to Block Number Cross Reference

I finally figured out which Kubota tractor uses the v1902 engine that Universal calls the 5444/M50.

It's the R400 Loader.

Attached is a list of tractor models and their block numbers

There are two v1902 engines, Direct Injection (v1902-DI) and Indirect Injection (v1902 or v1902-IDI). The 1980s Universal 5444/M50 like the one in my 1982 boat is the v1902 IDI.

So who cares, right? We all know at Dnnnn or Vnnnn block number we have, but that is not enough.

The problem is when you go to Kubota looking for a part, the first thing they ask is what tractor model you have; that's their starting point for parts searches. Whether they can't or won't search anyother way is unknown. (Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List). It doesn't do any good to tell them it's a v1902, they can't find anything with that info.

Thanks to the folks at OrangeTractorTalks for telling me what I have and linking to the model cross reference file (see attached file).
Kubota Tractors with V1902 - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

I've tested this relationship by buying several parts and they all fit, some even better than the original (injectors, glow plugs, bleed valve, high pressure lines from inj. pump to injectors, including several hoses and copper gaskets).

All I did was tell them the tractor model R400 Loader, described my part or showed them the old one and they looked it up. Ordered and received within 2 - 3 days at the store, no long waits, no outrageous prices, and no shipping (had to pick up at store). Prices at the local dealer were often lower (when shipping factored in) than online sources. Boy am I glad Pearson put a tractor in my boat!!

Sometimes with boat stuff we have to pay high price because of low volume, marine quality, blah, blah, blah, whatever. I just can't fathom paying nearly $2000 for the exact same injection pump that costs ~$650 at a tractor store or $50 for a $10 glow plug. That's just insane!

Take a look at tractor model cross reference and pop open a new thread at orangetractortalks for help; those folks are real nice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KubotaModel-enginecrossReference.PDF (21.8 KB, 719 views)
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 22:02   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Kubota Tractor Model to Block Number Cross Reference

Thanks for that. I believe my Beta Marine 90 is also used in the Kubota MX6 excavator. Many years ago I worked in the heavy/agricultural equipment industry and Kubota always had an excellent reputation. We now have close to 3,000 hours on our engine and it still runs perfect; hasn't leaked a drop of oil, fuel or coolant.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 22:11   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have not had to buy any parts yet and was not aware of the potential parts ordering problem. Good information to have, thanks.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

For my little Beta 38 I get all my parts by just bringing the part in and matching up. They ask me for the tractor I just tell them its a 38 hr and here is the part. They never complain. Maybe I don't look like a farmer. A lot of the filters, belts etc I just go to NAPA.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:49   #5

Not comment, but question: does any one have a firm idea on what is Kubota equivalent to Universal 5424 in Tartan 33 (24 HP)?
Any help is appreciated.
Mauser
mauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:18   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You make a good point. I have found that mower/tractor dealerships for the most part insist on a tractor or mower model number before they will do anything. Sometimes even with a model number things get confusing. I have found one dealership in my area who will try to work things out.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:45   #7

Mauser,

Find the 5424 block number here:
http://downeasteryachts.com/info-ind...al-engine-info
Universal M30/5424 Reference Material - SailNet Community
History of the Universal Motor Company 4

Then look up the block number in the Cross Reference pdf I attached.

It looks like a D1101.
Make sure you find out if it is Direct Injection (1101-DI) or Indirect Injection (1101-IDI or just 1101). I don't know what the means, but mine is IDI.

You can start with Ted Mullinax at enginepowersource.com in Georgia.
He helped me get started and gave me some part numbers to use when going to local Kubota dealer.

Once you *think* you have the model number, go here
Kubota Tractor Corporation - Parts List

Look up that tractor model number and carefully examine the parts diagram to see if it matches your engine.

Orangetractortalks.com forum will help a lot if you knwo the block number to confirm what tractors have that block (if the cross-reference pdf is inconclusive).

The first bit step is to conirm the block number.

I found my block number stamped into a flat spot right by the fuel injection pump (see attached )

Maybe your block number will be there also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNlocation.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	114944  
Old 13-12-2015, 10:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser View Post
Not comment, but question: does any one have a firm idea on what is Kubota equivalent to Universal 5424 in Tartan 33 (24 HP)?
Any help is appreciated.
Mauser
This post is quite helpful.

But, people have been asking your question ever since skippers had an "Aha!" moment and realized their boat engines came from tractors!!!:banghead :

The way to find the quick answer to your question is to use an internet search engine like Google and type in "your engine model equivalents" because so many boat owners associations have already done your homework for you.

It rarely, if ever, has anything to do with what boat the engine is installed in. Ericsons have the same engines as Catalinas of the same vintage.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 11:17   #9

Thank you so much. mauser
mauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:50   #10

Boat: Casacde 36

Same goes for Yanmar....go to the John Deere dealer
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

I bought Kubota glow plugs for Universal M25: $13.95 each.
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:56   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

My engine is a Beta 60, the specs of which are not on the OP's PDF. However, a quick search on the Kubota site suggests (because the stroke, bore and displacement numbers match up) that the Kubota block my Beta is built around is the V2403-M-E38G: http://www.kubotaengine.com/assets/d...%20Sep2012.pdf

And for the more ambitious, it's easy to find service manuals with tolerances, torque values and exploded diagrams of every part in the beasts: http://www.mag-motoren.com/Einstelld...ier%204%29.pdf
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:47   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

My M25XP is the Kubota Z950. I don't
see that number on your cross reference.

Could you maybe explain what I'm missing?

Thanks
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:49   #14

Boat: Grand Soleil 52 Victoria

This is really an interesting issue. The problem with parts is not only price. It is also availability. This summer I needed a new oilpan for my Northern Light M643 generator. The old one was leaking. The boat was in Greece so I had no way of getting it repaired and I could not find a new in Denmark so I had to order it from US. So on top of the marine price I had to pay for shipment, so it was a double double up.
I think the Northern Light M643 is also using a Kubota, but I don't know which. Does anybody know that?
nielswn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 15:40   #15

Jongleur,

ARe you sure your M25xp is not a D 950? Does it have 3 cylinders or 2?
See attached 2 files

About half way down this web page lists M25xp as D950
http://downeasteryachts.com/info-ind...al-engine-info

Z = Zwei
D = Drei
V = Vier

Those are German for 2, 3, 4. Don't ask me why Kubota used those, but that's what the letters mean.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M25XP-1.pdf (55.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: pdf M25XP-2.pdf (373.0 KB, 77 views)

Tags
enc, model