Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 12:41   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Is the Max Boring diesel class a good idea?

That's good to hear. Maybe La Gringa Suprema will be interested in a course.

I've come back around to my original thinking, that the course might be useful to me. After a few more frustrations, I am thinking that it's best if I just bite the bullet and do the step by steps in the tech manual an fix this thing myself. We do have a local Yanmar dealer, but they really don't seem to be very interested in working on obsolete old motors that were discontinued almost 20 years ago. When I found out they don't even stock any of the banjo bolts for the HM, or any other parts at all, I got pretty discouraged about the idea of hiring them to fix it.

It will take me longer, probably, but I will eventually figure it out on my own. This will be well before the Max Boring thing I would be attending in May up in NJ. I plan to start messing around with the rocker arm cover off just as soon as I get the bolts down here and determine that they are not the problem. I don't think they are, but need to check it out before tearing into the engine itself. I have a small air leak likely in the diesel return line from the banjo bolt on the top of one of the injectors. Not likely to affect operation.

Toad doesn't stock the bolts either, by the way. They accepted my order, and THEN told me they'd have to order the bolts. Now I'm trying to find another source.

I read through the tech manual. It really all makes a lot of sense, except I am clueless on this govenor/injector pump relationship. Hopefully, setting valve clearance and cleaning up air leaks will fix this.

Wonder if Max Boring has an old HM35 they'd sell...
Old 16-02-2014, 15:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Did ya go?
I did. I only made it thru day one before succumbing to the flu. I'm definitely going back for the other two days. The first day was classroom style but very good. Discussed a lot of background on engine maintenance and some good pointers on what they see us DIY'rs doing that causes problems.

I asked for some help on missing the other two days, and they refunded about 2/3 of the money, no troubles!

Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:54   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Sorry to hear you got ill.
In the meantime, I've gotten as far as re-adjusting my valve clearances, rebuilding water pumps, installing new alternators, and such. I'm hearing that I've already basically done the course.
Still interested, but not as much. The tech manual for the engines is excellent.

Tags
diesel