Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2022, 15:56   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Injector heat shield & nozzle seat stuck in place

Hey all

Pulled my injectors as part of a larger engine overhaul and cleanup - it appears one injector heat shield and nozzle seat are stuck inside and did not come up with the injector.

I've tried digging around with a pick to get that heat shield pulled but it seems that thing is really stuck in there. Before I do toooo much to it, curious if anyone has any advice on getting these two out?

Unfortunately it apepars that when I got all the replacements(these injectors are getting serviced and put into storage), i did not buy new heat shields so i guess I have to get new shields to get the new injectors put in place :\

Per diagrams, i figured this would be good to include. Number 46 is a "gasket" - what is the material of this? Should i be concerned about damaging this with a pick?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 3.49.53 PM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	268023  
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 20:31   #2

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Injector heat shield & nozzle seat stuck in place

After about 1.5 hours of digging with the pick, i was able to break it free - having to rip a vertical line from bottom to top then peeling it away from the side wall. Took longer than expected - entire job of cleaning & pulling and reinstalling new injectors was a 4-5 hour process. Unsure exactly how long its been since this has been done, but old injectors will be serviced and put into spares container.

Oddly enough, the "seal" that is around the upper portion of the injector that seals the injector to the head, doesn't seat as i would expect i to - it seems to sit a bit high. I had played around with trying to get it to seat better but seems that is not something that isn't going to happen.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 12:52   #3

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21
Re: Injector heat shield & nozzle seat stuck in place

I think that the "seal" you refer to is part 46. As long as the injector is pushed all the way in, and the gasket seals the opening, you should be OK. As I recall, the new part looks quite a bit different than the part that's been compressed and installed for a while.

A bolt extractor (Easy-Out) can be used to free the injector seat.

You should probably try to vacuum out any pieces of the seat that might have fallen into the cylinder when you broke it apart.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote