Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 19:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

I have a question that I hope someone out there can answer. Is there a problem using gas station diesel in my boat. I have been told that gas station fuel or over the road fuel doesn't have enough sulfur to satisfy my marine diesel. Is this true?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:21   #2

Boat: mt34dt
Re: gas station diesel vs marine diesel

Should be some gas stations around your area that have off-road diesel--think farmers. Google search should point them out. Older engines are better off with more sulfur but I believe all diesel now is low-sulfur, but off road stuff should be a good bit cheaper.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:24   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I have a question that I hope someone out there can answer. Is there a problem using gas station diesel in my boat. I have been told that gas station fuel or over the road fuel doesn't have enough sulfur to satisfy my marine diesel. Is this true?
Not true!

The only difference is color. There is more sulfur in marine diesel but will not hurt the motor w/o. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad...r/dfuelrpt.pdf

The yellow stuff is road taxed and the red is not for boats and farmers. If a trucker gets caught with the red in his tanks, then he gets fined. Farm diesel is tax free, = <$$$.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:29   #4

It's not a problem at all.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:30   #5

So what you are telling me, is, there is no differance between marine diesel and over the road diesel except the color? If that is true I am very excited to here it.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:35   #6

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

That's exactly what they are telling you. Diesel fuel is diesel fuel - the only difference between off-road and on-road diesel is the amount of taxation, indicated by the dye.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:36   #7

Quote:
So what you are telling me, is, there is no differance between marine diesel and over the road diesel except the color? If that is true I am very excited to here it.
The cost is the difference between fuel dock and normal "gas station" diesel. If you're filling up a few cans it's no big deal, but for boats with 100+ (or 1000+) gallon tanks it's just much more convenient to pull up to the dock.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:39   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

There is a slight difference see this link >>> http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad...r/dfuelrpt.pdf
Old 16-10-2011, 19:41   #9

For me it is more convenient to run to the gas station, I have to go 10 miles to the closest marine fuel. Since it only takes 10 -20 gallons to fill the tank.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:46   #10

Quote:
For me it is more convenient to run to the gas station, I have to go 10 miles to the closest marine fuel. Since it only takes 10 -20 gallons to fill the tank.
Yeah if you have a small tank like that than it's pretty easy to carry around a couple 5 gallon jugs and make it work. I imagine you're getting .5 gallon/hour or better consumption on a small engine, so it will take you a while to burn through 10 gallons of fuel.

Don't sweat it, get the cheapest clean diesel you can from a reputable source.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:48   #11

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
Yep same stuff just different dye.I have gone to a large truck stop(Jubitz) close to my boat and filled up a few 5gal jugs. I just tell them it is for off-road use and then no road tax. Okay if all I need is no more than 15 gallons.
Tim
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 19:58   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
The diesel from the gas station is almost invariably fresher, due to the rapid turnover and the fact that people who have diesel vehicles will converge on a station with a reliable supply.

The diesel tank in a marina might get filled less regularly...it depends on who is nearby.

Also, the price is generally 25% higher at the marina. I only use it when I'm buying a hundred gallons, after which I fill from jerry cans as needed to stay topped up.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 20:32   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only difference is the 4 dollars per gallon charged at fuel docks over road fuel. is not tax, fuel says marine--is way more.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 21:08   #14

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

Afriend of mine has used home heating oil for years. Just gets two or three boats together at a place where a truck can get to. It may be missing a few additives but seems to work just fine. It is completely legal since you are not avoiding road taxes since there are no roads. At current prices in Canada it works out to about 55% savings over road diesel let alone that you get ripped off at the marina.
Old 17-10-2011, 06:02   #15

Re: Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel

It would seem, if all of you are correct, that the marina's are making an huge profit on there fuel. They buy the fuel cheaper because there is no road tax on it, and they sell it for more than you can buy it at the fueling station on land. I would half to guess that they are making over a dollar a gallon on every gallon they sell. Can that realy be right?

Tags
diesel, marine