Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2014, 15:10   #16

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Re: First problems

Yes I do have an outlet on the bottom of the tank so I think I will try the suggestions here first and confirm it is water. Then will try leaving it sit and also see what results I get with a water deprecating filter. Doesn't appear to be any water in the online filters in the system which makes me think it is just the top tank that is contaminated. Hopefully! Will confirm more tomorrow once I have been out to the boat
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:19   #17
cruiser

Why not just hire a fuel polishing service, or run the fuel through a Racor system via a remote fuel pump for a day or so yourself? Seems like that should get rid of the water. Or get a couple of 55 gallon drums to polish the fuel into, then clean your tanks and replace the fuel.

We had a similar situation occur with contaminated/dirty fuel two years ago where I ended up selling 150 gallons of dirty fuel at a 60% discount to a power boat with a polishing system... that hurt when I had to replace the fuel at $9 per gallon. Now we have a polishing and extensive filtering system on board. Maybe it's a good time for you to add one on your boat. It WILL happen again.

Here's a link to the CF forum thread describing our fuel polishing system: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-132030.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Unless fuel is real high where you are, I'd get rid of it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It smells like turpentine, I've smelled that in VERY old fuel, unless you know it's age, safest to dump it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why not just hire a fuel polishing service, or run the fuel through a Racor system via a remote fuel pump for a day or so yourself? Seems like that should get rid of the water. Or get a couple of 55 gallon drums to polish the fuel into, then clean your tanks and replace the fuel.

We had a similar situation occur with contaminated/dirty fuel two years ago where I ended up selling 150 gallons of dirty fuel at a 60% discount to a power boat with a polishing system... that hurt when I had to replace the fuel at $9 per gallon. Now we have a polishing and extensive filtering system on board. Maybe it's a good time for you to add one on your boat. It WILL happen again.

Here's a link to the CF forum thread describing our fuel polishing system: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-132030.html
He already said no fuel service around. A little pump and a few 55 gal drums would be one way of getting it out there. OP: an place to get rid of old fuel? It goes fairly fast...

But if confirms no water (OP: the water shouldn't be on the top!) Yeah, just set up a system to clean the fuel..... right now fuel cost is low though....

Hmmm... turpentine... trying to remember, but it seems like fuel smells that way when old and water in it...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 16:13   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Re getting rid of old fuel .. I did a contra deal with a diesel mechanic in Carnarvon once.... dirty diesel for labour.... he was happy as was going to use in his steam cleaner.
Mind you that wasn't 'wet' diesel ...just very dark heavy diesel designed for use in far larger engines than mine.
Old 27-12-2014, 16:38   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And also... fuel colour can vary considerably.... from clear to black, pic shows automotive diesel bought by a friend in Argentina about 2 weeks earlier...

That said your fuel looks a bit waxy to me but I would expect that in cold not hot conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dieso.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	94400  
Old 27-12-2014, 17:18   #23

Thanks for all the great feedback. It could actually be old fuel also as I know the boat was sitting for quite a few years. The fact the tanks are almost full is what is leading me to think it is water as I know the previous owner didn't top it up in the last year. Will look into your fuel polishing system, would be good to set up one regardless and I at least have the room bow
Old 30-12-2014, 17:55   #24

Re: First problems - update

Hi Guys

So I got into the lower tank and it is pretty much the same as the top one. I ordered a MR FUNNEL which is the same as the baja funnel etc and I took about 7 litters off the bottom of the top tank and ran it through the funnel. I would say I probably got about 5mils of water out of that so not a huge amount but some none the less. So the next step will be to do as suggested and setup a polishing system running the fuel through the funnel and the normal filters also. The up side however is that the inch pipe that I took the fuel out of from the bottom of the top tank had zero sludge in it so I am hopeful that there is no bacteria growing in there yet. The fuel smelt a lot better after being run through the funnel but still had a yellow look to it. Hopefully its not as bad as I think as the motor was still running fine.

Will let you know how it went after the polishing for those that are interested. Thanks again for every bodies suggestions and help.
Old 30-12-2014, 18:24   #25

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

If it still doesn't smell right after polishing I would be inclined to get rid of it before going someplace that would be a real problem if the engine quits. Even burning half of it and if it is starting from cold ok and running ok fill up with fresh fuel so at least some of the mix is fresh would make me more comfortable.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 04:32   #26
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Mattyb,

Here's a thread on the subject of fuel polishing. It has some good links in it, as well.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-79548.html