Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:11   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Control Panel Mystery

Ok, I just got my salvage project Phasor P2-13 (Beta Marine BZ482 clone) engine installed. It came with a control panel featuring a tach, oil pressure, water temp, voltmeter, etc.

So here's the mystery. When I crank the motor, all the gauges come on, but then go back off when the key returns to the accessory position.

My first thought, "oh, I have them on the start terminal, instead of the accessory terminal." Wrong. They're on the accessory terminal, and the starter is definitely on its own start terminal.

So I jumpered a cable from always-on power to the accessory terminal. This makes the gauges come to life BUT ONLY when the key is turned to accessory.

That makes no sense to me because if I jumper from always on to the start terminal, it cranks the starter over no matter what position the key is in. I mean, if I'm making the connection outside of the switch, why would the position of the switch matter at all?

I'm really confused. Am I lacking a ground to my control panel wiring? Why is my accessory switch not getting power if I have the key turned to accessory and the voltmeter grounding to the engine? Why does accessory power work with the switch when I have the terminal directly jumpered to the always-on power?
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:15   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I vote for a high resistance ground
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I vote for a high resistance ground
Agree. That is what I would check first. Might also disconnect the wires and test the switch as well, just so you are sure.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control panel, electrical