Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 18:37   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Can a 110hp Yanmar replace 130hp Perkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
So rebuild = take out and put back?
(You can tell I haven't had an inboard diesel before!)
A boat I'm interested in definitely doesn't make that easy. It has 135hp 6 cyl Perkins. It's an aluminium hull and as far as I can see it would require removal of part of the hull side to remove the engine - no possible access from above or either end at all! At least welding it up afterwards would be possible . Hence my query as to whether you can rebuild in-place?
Yea, take out and put back.. I'm sure you could take it apart and bring the pieces to a shop and they will overhaul everything. Then give you the pieces and you or they could assemble it in the boat.

My family owned a marina and boatyard for 37 years and I have seen more than a couple boats with a hull side cut out to remove engines and/or fuel tanks. They were glass but metal would be just as easy if not easier.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:03   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

First changing engine brands if you will will take most likely all of those things bilgewater listed, an overhaul is an R&R job, much less expensive, much less.
If so had to cut a hole in my boat to remove an engine, I would look real hard at what is often called an inframe rebuild.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:39   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
First changing engine brands if you will will take most likely all of those things bilgewater listed, an overhaul is an R&R job, much less expensive, much less.
If so had to cut a hole in my boat to remove an engine, I would look real hard at what is often called an inframe rebuild.
Right in frame, I didn't know the proper term for taking it a part large piece at a time in the boat. Perkins are so common, you'd probably be able to find a complete YouTube video on how to disassemble and assemble one.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:44   #19

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

A lot of people on their third or fourth rebuild think that's the way to go. Tales of a $2500 rebuild don't include removal, install, peripheral equipment like starters, water pumps, alternators, exhaust manifolds, heat exchangers, fuel pumps, injectors, hoses, belts----you know, the stuff that usually goes wrong. Now if you plan on doing the work yourself, that could make a difference in your decision. Try and look at it in a realistic manner and make sure the engine actually is worn out or is it just the peripheral equipment going bad all the time.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06   #20

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

The M135 Perkins is a great engine but I think its weight-to-horsepower ratio is too high - possibly one of the reasons why they last so long.

We considered the Yanmar 110-hp for our 40,000-pound ketch but it came with a ZF25 transmission which is too small for that horsepower and torque. We ultimately replaced the Volvo MD40A with a Beta Marine 90, which came with the ZF45 transmission. We’re delighted with the Beta and have over 3,000 trouble-free hours on it. We consume slightly less than a gallon per hour cruising at 5.5 knots. However, the naturally-aspirated Beta 90 is no longer available in the USA (doesn’t meet EPA standards). Since I strongly feel that turbocharged diesels are a poor choice for a cruising sailboat, I’d probably choose to rebuild the Perkins if it were my decision.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32   #21

Boat: Domp 8.60

Older Perkins engines can be rebuild very nicely I did many generators Perkins engines if it is done correctly you will have an engine at a fraction of the cost as new plus you will have a lot of spares from the old engine which where replaced for quality reasons but will still work to bring you home. I would go with the rebuild Perkins.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 22:04   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd go with the Beta if repowering simply because of the parts prices. But I'd rebuild if you can do the work yourself. Depends on yr finances I guess
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, yanmar