Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 18:02   #1

Boat: hunter 376
bleeding the coolant

Since our hot water tank seems to have turned into a pile of rust over the winter, I am in the middle of replacing it. I will be using the engine heat ports to heat water while the engine is running, and the installation manual says to bleed the engine coolant, but I have no idea how to do this. Once the whole thing is hooked up, I will have to top up the engine coolant, but how would you remove air from the Yanmar's closed fresh water/anti-freeze mix?
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:03   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: bleeding the coolant

When I cleaned out my heat exchanger, I just popped the hose from the front and drained if from there. It's hazardous stuff so dispose of it properly. Then, I just filled up the 50:50 coolant at the top where the cap is located. I have an overflow tank, but the fill level stays at low so that when the coolant heats, it slightly fills up that tank. That's it. I did not need to bleed the coolant side. Would be interested to hear if I should have done anything differently. My engine is a 3GM30F.

My hot water tank is completely out of the picture now, too, because it rusted out and I need to replace the heater element. I have closed off all the hoses so the engine water heat cycling doesn't run through the water tank any more.

Hope this is helpful.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 23:21   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: bleeding the coolant

Don't know about yours but the newer Yanmars have a couple brass bleeder valves on the front of the motor up by the thermostat with a nipple on top to put a hose.

Tags
coolant