Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 13:44   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Bleach Tablets

Well, this is what one major manufacturer of the poll tablets has to say (bold added):

Quote:
Tablets of Tri-chlor are tablet forms of chlorine and is short for Trichloro-s-triazinetrione, a stabilized form of chlorine that has achieved a great amount of use in the last ten years. "Stabilized" means that it has cyanuric acid pressed into the tablets. Cyanuric, also called stabilizer or conditioner, is like sunscreen for the chlorine molecule; an extender. Tri-chlor is created by combining the salts of cyanuric acid and chlorine gas into a tablet or stick and is 90% available chlorine. The pH is somewhat low at 3, so the pH in your pool may gravitate downward. This form is slow dissolving so it works well in floaters or in-line erosion feeders. Using tablets in the skimmer is not recommended because of the corrosive nature of the chemical contacting metal pipes and equipment. This becomes more of a problem when the filter pump is operated on a timer. Tablets have been known to strip out the copper inside of a heater. They are an effective, yet expensive, means of controlling algae. Tablets should also not be thrown directly into the pool, they can stain and etch plaster and bleach and deteriorate vinyl.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 16:06   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

yikes! Those tablets sound pretty scary! But I was actually referring to the practice of pouring liquid household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) into the cooling system as suggested by someone upthread. Doing this, one has some control over the chlorine concentration whilst the tablets, with an unknown rate of dissolution, are outta control!

Jim
Old 21-09-2015, 05:44   #18

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Bromine tablets worked well for keeping the green stuff from growing in my strainer and system. But I had one of those Groco water strainers with the heavy plastic clear bowl, and it turned that opaque to the point that you could not see the screen.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:13   #19

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Well, for what it's worth, some derivative of bromide is what they add to young conscripts' tea in some places, so that young hormones are not such a threat to ladies in neighboring areas. So I wouldn't suppose drinking that water is good for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:24   #20

Used to install pools and hottubs, you do not want chlorine or bromine tabs in the strainer unless you want to replace your heater!
Chlorine reacts with the water to form hydochlorous acid long term effect is it will eat most metals.
Bromine is almost the same, can't remember what acids it forms.
Most pool chlorine also contains cyanuirc acid as a stabilizer to stop it from reacting with uv light and breaking down.
I think it would be safe for an occasional flush, long term could have expensive results. I have no proof of this last bit. I only know what happens in pools and spas not engines as far as chlorine and bromine chemistry.
OUt of curiosity anybody ever tried phosphoric acid through a cooling system?
One possible bonus side effect would be the conversion of iron oxide to iron phosphate? Phosphoric acid is the main component in most rust removers.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:19   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If a plastic strainer body turned translucent white instead of clear...maybe that's just the surface of the plastic being attacked, but it still means the plastic has been degraded. And might just literally fall apart some time. So...ask Groco, but do consider replacing the bowl if you like to sleep well at night.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 06:48   #22

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If a plastic strainer body turned translucent white instead of clear...maybe that's just the surface of the plastic being attacked, but it still means the plastic has been degraded. And might just literally fall apart some time. So...ask Groco, but do consider replacing the bowl if you like to sleep well at night.
I replaced it, and quit using the tablets. You can get Groco replacement parts. And replaced the O-ring at the same time. I like sleeping well! Plus like to see if the strainer needs to be cleaned.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote