Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 13:59   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So at that 1/3 throttle is it still real noisy?
No, not really noisy. Sounds like a lawnmower. The exhaust comes out under water, so it's not very loud.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:00   #47

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
At that point, I'd had my fill of the sailing experience and was trying to get to the entrance buoy of my creek to enjoy the beer drinking experience.....
ROTFLMFAO!
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:09   #48

Boat: Newport 28

I'm curious as to why the new tohatsu's are listed as 9.8, but the merc's are 9.9, if they are the exact same powerhead?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
I'm curious as to why the new tohatsu's are listed as 9.8, but the merc's are 9.9, if they are the exact same powerhead?
Older model? The difference is minuscule. It doesn't make a difference. Probably some kind of marketing ploy.
Old 27-09-2015, 16:24   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's definitely marketing, the 9.9 of course came from regulations that prohibited engines 10 hp and up, so years ago the manufacturers put 9.9 on their previously 10 hp motors, to slide in just under the then new laws.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:41   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Dockhead

Are you certain the Black Bass is made in Italy not China? I have seen Andes YouTube videos of them, seems about the same noise as the Yamaha 6hp.

I have a quote of roughly 1700 euro from a German dealer to send me one DHL. Seems like a pretty good deal. Been a long time since I bought a new outboard.

You seem pretty happy with yours?

Jeff
Old 28-09-2015, 09:53   #52

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
Older model? The difference is minuscule. It doesn't make a difference. Probably some kind of marketing ploy.
It's a 2015 model engine. The decal says "9.8" on it. Maybe it's something they did for mercury, to make the mercury motors more appealing, since they cost almost 1000 dollars more for the extra long shaft model?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 15:05   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Dockhead

Are you certain the Black Bass is made in Italy not China? I have seen Andes YouTube videos of them, seems about the same noise as the Yamaha 6hp.

I have a quote of roughly 1700 euro from a German dealer to send me one DHL. Seems like a pretty good deal. Been a long time since I bought a new outboard.

You seem pretty happy with yours?

Jeff
Yes, Italy. Having owned Fiats and Alfas, I'm not sure that's better than made in China . Ha, ha.

I can't say yet whether I'm happy with it or not. Time will tell. It seems exceptionally cheaply made. But it works very well so far. If it continues to do so I'll be very happy.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21   #54

Quote:
So at that 1/3 throttle is it still real noisy?
Hi guys..i live in Croatia and have (untill one was stolen) two outboards (Tohatsu 5 and 6 4stroke) my father is fisherman with small boat and both of the motors have many many many working hors with only change in 12 years of Impeller,Spark plug and Oil ofc...now we put this 6 (5 was thefted) on general overhaul wich cost here about 300usd...nowdays we are buying New to replace that stolen one and my father suddenly pick Yamaha but my opinion is that yamahas arent built to endure harsh winter sea conditions and for that matter their looks of how they are built, suggest that while when lay your eyes on Tohatsu it is obiovus that is one sturdy little engine....
I've study long history of outboards and just to correct somebody here- Selva is not Italian outboard (this particular may be Made in Italy) but it is Johnson-Evinrude doughter Company,in fact she was essentualy Evinrude till 2 or 3 years when Tohatsu made agreement with Evinrude and now Every little Evinrude (and Mariner) and ofc Mercury are Tohatsu....
hatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hatsu.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Decide to hold off on the black bass until I can run one and inspect. The YouTube videos show a stamped steel carb bowl and an external magneto on the flywheel. Both very odd considering no yamahas use that and they supposedly make all the Yamaha castings for assembly in France. Maybe they also make lots of lawnmower parts as the carb is obviously sources from that industry and likely the magneto and flywheel as well.

Maybe I'll see one in the Bahamas this winter.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsu View Post
Hi guys..i live in Croatia and have (untill one was stolen) two outboards (Tohatsu 5 and 6 4stroke) my father is fisherman with small boat and both of the motors have many many many working hors with only change in 12 years of Impeller,Spark plug and Oil ofc...now we put this 6 (5 was thefted) on general overhaul wich cost here about 300usd...nowdays we are buying New to replace that stolen one and my father suddenly pick Yamaha but my opinion is that yamahas arent built to endure harsh winter sea conditions and for that matter their looks of how they are built, suggest that while when lay your eyes on Tohatsu it is obiovus that is one sturdy little engine....
I've study long history of outboards and just to correct somebody here- Selva is not Italian outboard (this particular may be Made in Italy) but it is Johnson-Evinrude doughter Company,in fact she was essentualy Evinrude till 2 or 3 years when Tohatsu made agreement with Evinrude and now Every little Evinrude (and Mariner) and ofc Mercury are Tohatsu....
I don't know about the new Yamahas, but historically most agree they have been the best out there in small outboards. So hopefully your new one will be great!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 17:52   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Decide to hold off on the black bass until I can run one and inspect. The YouTube videos show a stamped steel carb bowl and an external magneto on the flywheel. Both very odd considering no yamahas use that and they supposedly make all the Yamaha castings for assembly in France. Maybe they also make lots of lawnmower parts as the carb is obviously sources from that industry and likely the magneto and flywheel as well.

Maybe I'll see one in the Bahamas this winter.
The two cylinder Selvas are Yamaha, but the one-lungers like mine are original designs. And yes - looks like lawnmower engineering We'll see how it holds up, but I must say, so far, so good.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 08-10-2015, 13:53   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
If Tohatsu builds Merc then they must make Yamaha as well.
My 9.9 Yamaha HT aftermarket Seloc manual covers Yamaha, Merc and Mariner as the same engine.
I don't really know who makes them but these 3 brands are the same as far as 9.9s....
Somebody posted Tohatsu is Merc, I'm just basing this post on that.
I think somebody also posted they make Evinrude/Johnson as well.
So do they build everything except Suzuki?
Based on my experience with my Yamaha I would buy another Yamaha when I need another outboard.
This kind of all stinks, I remember when the OMC plant in my town in Canada was running 3 shifts, now it's a Canoe Museum! The old parking lot is a new double ice rink.....
Tohatsu builds small engines 6hp and under:

TOHATSU, MERCURY, EVENRUDE, AND REPORTEDLT soon SUZUKI IN THE SMALL ENGINES. Tohatsus are built in Japan not China.

Tohatsu does not build engines for Yamaha or Honda. And from a mechanic's view, Yammies are a real pain to work on due to how they are laid out.
Old 17-03-2016, 04:27   #60

Boat: Dolphin 17C, planning stage for Marples DC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
no oil changing, dirty oil to get rid of in Timbuktu
If you manage to motor a sailboat to Timbuktu, I think the challenge of oil disposal will not be high on your list of accomplishments.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbeautifulplaces.org%2Fw p-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FTimbuktu-desert-vegetation.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbeautifulpla ces.org%2Ftimbuktu%2F&docid=79i7Jy3s3r6mrM&tbnid=b HuPDWdc5tdj_M%3A&w=800&h=532&client=ms-android-verizon&ei=VpPqVoqZIIHNmQG5oq_QDA
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard