Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 13:59   #46
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 17,228
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So at that 1/3 throttle is it still real noisy?
No, not really noisy. Sounds like a lawnmower. The exhaust comes out under water, so it's not very loud.
__________________

__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:00   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bar Harbor, ME USA
Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Posts: 122
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
At that point, I'd had my fill of the sailing experience and was trying to get to the entrance buoy of my creek to enjoy the beer drinking experience.....
ROTFLMFAO!
__________________

__________________
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:09   #48
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

I'm curious as to why the new tohatsu's are listed as 9.8, but the merc's are 9.9, if they are the exact same powerhead?
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:09   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bar Harbor, ME USA
Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Posts: 122
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
I'm curious as to why the new tohatsu's are listed as 9.8, but the merc's are 9.9, if they are the exact same powerhead?
Older model? The difference is minuscule. It doesn't make a difference. Probably some kind of marketing ploy.
__________________
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:24   #50
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 14,016
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

It's definitely marketing, the 9.9 of course came from regulations that prohibited engines 10 hp and up, so years ago the manufacturers put 9.9 on their previously 10 hp motors, to slide in just under the then new laws.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:41   #51
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,736
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Dockhead

Are you certain the Black Bass is made in Italy not China? I have seen Andes YouTube videos of them, seems about the same noise as the Yamaha 6hp.

I have a quote of roughly 1700 euro from a German dealer to send me one DHL. Seems like a pretty good deal. Been a long time since I bought a new outboard.

You seem pretty happy with yours?

Jeff
__________________
Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:53   #52
Registered User
 
VinnyVincent's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kemah TX
Boat: Newport 28
Posts: 331
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
Older model? The difference is minuscule. It doesn't make a difference. Probably some kind of marketing ploy.
It's a 2015 model engine. The decal says "9.8" on it. Maybe it's something they did for mercury, to make the mercury motors more appealing, since they cost almost 1000 dollars more for the extra long shaft model?
__________________
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 15:05   #53
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 17,228
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Dockhead

Are you certain the Black Bass is made in Italy not China? I have seen Andes YouTube videos of them, seems about the same noise as the Yamaha 6hp.

I have a quote of roughly 1700 euro from a German dealer to send me one DHL. Seems like a pretty good deal. Been a long time since I bought a new outboard.

You seem pretty happy with yours?

Jeff
Yes, Italy. Having owned Fiats and Alfas, I'm not sure that's better than made in China . Ha, ha.

I can't say yet whether I'm happy with it or not. Time will tell. It seems exceptionally cheaply made. But it works very well so far. If it continues to do so I'll be very happy.



Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:21   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So at that 1/3 throttle is it still real noisy?
Hi guys..i live in Croatia and have (untill one was stolen) two outboards (Tohatsu 5 and 6 4stroke) my father is fisherman with small boat and both of the motors have many many many working hors with only change in 12 years of Impeller,Spark plug and Oil ofc...now we put this 6 (5 was thefted) on general overhaul wich cost here about 300usd...nowdays we are buying New to replace that stolen one and my father suddenly pick Yamaha but my opinion is that yamahas arent built to endure harsh winter sea conditions and for that matter their looks of how they are built, suggest that while when lay your eyes on Tohatsu it is obiovus that is one sturdy little engine....
I've study long history of outboards and just to correct somebody here- Selva is not Italian outboard (this particular may be Made in Italy) but it is Johnson-Evinrude doughter Company,in fact she was essentualy Evinrude till 2 or 3 years when Tohatsu made agreement with Evinrude and now Every little Evinrude (and Mariner) and ofc Mercury are Tohatsu....
__________________
hatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06   #55
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 30,322
Images: 240
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hatsu.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:43   #56
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,736
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Decide to hold off on the black bass until I can run one and inspect. The YouTube videos show a stamped steel carb bowl and an external magneto on the flywheel. Both very odd considering no yamahas use that and they supposedly make all the Yamaha castings for assembly in France. Maybe they also make lots of lawnmower parts as the carb is obviously sources from that industry and likely the magneto and flywheel as well.

Maybe I'll see one in the Bahamas this winter.
__________________
Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59   #57
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 18,160
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsu View Post
Hi guys..i live in Croatia and have (untill one was stolen) two outboards (Tohatsu 5 and 6 4stroke) my father is fisherman with small boat and both of the motors have many many many working hors with only change in 12 years of Impeller,Spark plug and Oil ofc...now we put this 6 (5 was thefted) on general overhaul wich cost here about 300usd...nowdays we are buying New to replace that stolen one and my father suddenly pick Yamaha but my opinion is that yamahas arent built to endure harsh winter sea conditions and for that matter their looks of how they are built, suggest that while when lay your eyes on Tohatsu it is obiovus that is one sturdy little engine....
I've study long history of outboards and just to correct somebody here- Selva is not Italian outboard (this particular may be Made in Italy) but it is Johnson-Evinrude doughter Company,in fact she was essentualy Evinrude till 2 or 3 years when Tohatsu made agreement with Evinrude and now Every little Evinrude (and Mariner) and ofc Mercury are Tohatsu....
I don't know about the new Yamahas, but historically most agree they have been the best out there in small outboards. So hopefully your new one will be great!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 17:52   #58
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 17,228
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Decide to hold off on the black bass until I can run one and inspect. The YouTube videos show a stamped steel carb bowl and an external magneto on the flywheel. Both very odd considering no yamahas use that and they supposedly make all the Yamaha castings for assembly in France. Maybe they also make lots of lawnmower parts as the carb is obviously sources from that industry and likely the magneto and flywheel as well.

Maybe I'll see one in the Bahamas this winter.
The two cylinder Selvas are Yamaha, but the one-lungers like mine are original designs. And yes - looks like lawnmower engineering We'll see how it holds up, but I must say, so far, so good.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 13:53   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bar Harbor, ME USA
Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Posts: 122
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
If Tohatsu builds Merc then they must make Yamaha as well.
My 9.9 Yamaha HT aftermarket Seloc manual covers Yamaha, Merc and Mariner as the same engine.
I don't really know who makes them but these 3 brands are the same as far as 9.9s....
Somebody posted Tohatsu is Merc, I'm just basing this post on that.
I think somebody also posted they make Evinrude/Johnson as well.
So do they build everything except Suzuki?
Based on my experience with my Yamaha I would buy another Yamaha when I need another outboard.
This kind of all stinks, I remember when the OMC plant in my town in Canada was running 3 shifts, now it's a Canoe Museum! The old parking lot is a new double ice rink.....
Tohatsu builds small engines 6hp and under:

TOHATSU, MERCURY, EVENRUDE, AND REPORTEDLT soon SUZUKI IN THE SMALL ENGINES. Tohatsus are built in Japan not China.

Tohatsu does not build engines for Yamaha or Honda. And from a mechanic's view, Yammies are a real pain to work on due to how they are laid out.
__________________
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 04:27   #60
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NE Iowa
Boat: Dolphin 17C, planning stage for Marples DC3
Posts: 25
Re: Best 6hp outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
no oil changing, dirty oil to get rid of in Timbuktu
If you manage to motor a sailboat to Timbuktu, I think the challenge of oil disposal will not be high on your list of accomplishments.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbeautifulplaces.org%2Fw p-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F12%2FTimbuktu-desert-vegetation.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbeautifulpla ces.org%2Ftimbuktu%2F&docid=79i7Jy3s3r6mrM&tbnid=b HuPDWdc5tdj_M%3A&w=800&h=532&client=ms-android-verizon&ei=VpPqVoqZIIHNmQG5oq_QDA
__________________

__________________
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Yamaha 6hp or 8hp Outboard mattyc Classifieds Archive 2 27-12-2011 21:41
For Sale: 6hp Mercury Outboard Motor lmarrazzi Classifieds Archive 1 04-06-2011 19:30
For Sale: '03 6hp Mercury Outboard jeffbrainard Classifieds Archive 2 22-12-2009 11:53
Johnson 6HP/4-Stroke Outboard Motor tlaw7 Classifieds Archive 0 23-02-2009 14:47
Looking for 6hp outboard, Nissan, Merc, or Tomatsu s/v 'Faith' Classifieds Archive 2 25-05-2008 07:32


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.