Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2019, 16:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 47'Perry needs a new heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
By the way, friends of mine have a Dodge pickup with a Cummins in it. They were on a trip 2 weeks ago and it broke down, the dealer said it needed new injectors. (only 80k miles), get this; the injectors installed were $8500 US! I imagine a lot of that was labor... but injector replacement..? $8500? I would be checking parts prices before buying a Cummins.

That’s a common rail motor, the old style Cummins used in Dodge pickups have actually gone a million miles.

I believe my injectors for my Duramax Diesel were about $5,000 and they were I believe rebuilt and not from a dealer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 18:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
$8500, ridiculous. That’s what happens when you take your truck to a dealer. Cummins is one of the finest diesels ever produced , they easily go 300,000 to 400,000 in a truck. That guy needs to find a good diesel mechanic.
Yeah I told them I'd trade the truck in before spending that. But they were out of town, pulling a trailer with two dogs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 18:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That’s a common rail motor, the old style Cummins used in Dodge pickups have actually gone a million miles.

I believe my injectors for my Duramax Diesel were about $5,000 and they were I believe rebuilt and not from a dealer.
I wonder why they are so different than marine diesel injectors? Which are what ...$150 each? Used to be $100

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 18:58   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
47'Perry needs a new heart

Quote:
I wonder why they are so different than marine diesel injectors? Which are what ...$150 each? Used to be $100

Common rail, it’s a whole different world, first the injector itself through a massive current determines injector timing, and pulse width, they are so fast and such high pressure that multiple injections per ignition event is common.
Common rails computers commonly monitor and control each cylinder independently and for the first time actual ignition timing is variable, something that just wasn’t possible before, and RPM ceilings are much higher as normal Diesel RPM limits are based on the ability of the injector to get fuel into the engine, increase RPM and the time available is shorter.
The injectors in my Duramax LB7 rebuilt have come down to about $2,000 a set of eight for overhauled ones. However it’s almost a full weekend to change them as to keep them quiet they are buried deep into the head, that changed with later engines as it became apparent that they would have to be changed before the engines end of life.
But new Diesels, especially common rails are not our Grandfathers engines, the Duramax for example was four overhead cams with roller rocker arms and a 32 valve engine.
The intercooler was larger than the radiator and on my truck I was pulling 32 lbs of boost, which is way more than I believe any turbo in a sailboat pulls, I’d assume they are around 5 PSI or so.
I’m short, they are very expensive, very complex machines now.

I seriously doubt I’d buy a new Diesel truck now, but then I have no use for one either, but they have become very expensive and some what maintenance intensive, and gas motors require very little maintenance now, except for oil changes, they don’t need anything for 100,000 miles.
Plus Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas.
There is just not as much advantage to a Diesel in a truck.

I’m sort of surprised gas motors haven’t made a comeback in Sailboats, I assume it’s because the numbers aren’t there, but think how smooth and quiet large Outboards have become, you could make the interior of a sailboat be no louder than the interior of a car.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:33   #20

Many parts available in OZ for Ford 80hp 2712e. Including Lehman conversion, what has happened?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Thank you such to all those have helped us or welcomed us to CF. I contacted the seller in the first reply and am happy to say we have agreed a price and we hope to have available Hand a mobile again by the end of August. Again thank you all what a wonderful community.
What are you planning to do with your dead engine?
What problems did it have?
A mate might be interested in rebuilding it...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:41   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I’m sort of surprised gas motors haven’t made a comeback in Sailboats, I assume it’s because the numbers aren’t there, but think how smooth and quiet large Outboards have become, you could make the interior of a sailboat be no louder than the interior of a car.[/QUOTE]

Yes good point. I assume fire danger is a factor as well though I dont really see the difference between petrol & LPG which lots of boats use.
Diesel is cheaper than petrol ( gasoline) here & of course it's more energy dense so don't need as big tankerage. Amazed that it is cheaper here but glad of it.
Sorry thread drift
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 19:09   #23

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

Hi
Like a lot of Robert Perry boat owners who have replaced their motors , a number of us have gone for the Beta motor, ( you have an excellent agent in the States Stanley a very very knowledgeable an nice guy)
You will find the motor very similar to the Lehan, the Beta is mainly a Kobota motor which is marinised in England, the parts are very easy to get , the service is excellent .an best is the price.
The Robert Perry 447 forum has a great deal of Information.
If you are thinking of cruising then think how easy are the spare parts to get ,
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:17   #24

Might want to look at using a refrigerant engine. Millions are in service as part of cold stores and refrigerant trucks. They are located on the forward end of the trailer on trucks. It is basically a 60hp diesel with a refrigerant plant. They may come in different sizes. I have one and it works fine. Will have to be able to find a tranny that fits and might need water jackets welded to exhaust manifolds to help keep cabin cool.
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:27   #25

Boat: Domp 8.60

They can be rebuild quite well and are a very reliable engine you will have time to clean up the engine bay. ;-)
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:18   #26

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
The Lehman's have a big following. I would think there are some places specializing in rebuilding or rebuilt. There used to be one in Seattle; Doc Freeman's. But they are long gone, although I don't know if the Lehman shop was actually part of Freeman's anyway. Seems they were just in the same building but not the same business.

North Harbor Diesel in Anacortes has rebuilt a lot of the old Lehmans and they still have the staff that did them. Finding parts can be an issue. I had the 80hp and it was a champ. Loved it. I know that a lot of people had theirs rebuilt and never had any problems.

But there are more modern engines available now but you will have to redo the mounts and shaft and all.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:57   #27

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

When I needed to replace my Ford I chose an Issuzu 90 hp. No blower, no electronic fuel ,just dependable old tech. In many trucks anywhere in the world. Marine manifold done by Klassen in Van BC.The JD and cumins flywheels were too much for my deep set narrow bilge All in all, very pleased with Suzie.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:25   #28

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphir3 View Post
Might want to look at using a refrigerant engine. Millions are in service as part of cold stores and refrigerant trucks. They are located on the forward end of the trailer on trucks. It is basically a 60hp diesel with a refrigerant plant. They may come in different sizes. I have one and it works fine. Will have to be able to find a tranny that fits and might need water jackets welded to exhaust manifolds to help keep cabin cool.
Yes, a lot of those units use Kabota engines. Problem is they can have tons of hours on them, a lot of those engines run continuously. If you could find a low hour engine..............
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 00:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Hi Fellow Seafarers,
Our lovely 47' needs a new heart. Her 38 year old 80hp Ford Lehman has gone to god. Can anyone recommend a replacement or know where to buy a reconditioned replacement. We are prepared to ship crom anywhere. Thanks All in advance.
A friend has had one rebuilt down here in Tas for around $7k
There is also a rebuilt one on gumtree for around $10k
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:47   #30

Check out the used engines for sale by Marine Enterprises in Dorchester UK as they will ship enines worlwide. They have lots of secondhand engines in all powers, for example this Ford 80hp engine https://www.marineenterprises.co.uk/...-diesel-engine
Also some new bargains like a new but old stock Volvo D2 75hp at £6,700.
For lower powers they often have ex ships lifeboat engines that have very few hours running.
Norman_E is offline   Reply With Quote