Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2014, 04:46   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: '02 Volvo Penta Engine

Usually it's the intake turbine wheel that touches the housing causing wear. most probably from a worn center section bearing, this wear and resulting wobble can cause the center section bearing seal to leak and most probably this is where your oil is coming from.
Bad news is that there has been some damage of course and that means that the efficiency of the turbo is decreased and you will see less boost and therefore some power loss.
Good news is that with a new center section bearing and seal, your oil consumption from the turbo should be nil, you may have oil consumption from valve seals, rings etc from the engine though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 04:56   #92

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually it's the intake turbine wheel that touches the housing causing wear. most probably from a worn center section bearing, this wear and resulting wobble can cause the center section bearing seal to leak and most probably this is where your oil is coming from.
Bad news is that there has been some damage of course and that means that the efficiency of the turbo is decreased and you will see less boost and therefore some power loss.
Good news is that with a new center section bearing and seal, your oil consumption from the turbo should be nil, you may have oil consumption from valve seals, rings etc from the engine though.
Yep, that sounds pretty much what the mechanic said.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 22:30   #93

I have 2 -D1 30s for 12 years (2008). No corroded O ring issues. 1300hrs. Its not cast iron, its cast aluminum.
Our problem came from the inside bottom of the exhaust manifold (between the two bottom studs)
JB waterweld epoxy the appropriate 1"x 3/16" hole. Clean to bare metal 1st. I have 50 hrs since repair, removed elbow for inspection, all looks good. Know another boat that did this same epoxy putty fix 6 years ago and no further problems.
I would suggest that anyone with this Volvo penta D1 series to remove the exhaust elbows (easy) and clean the inside lip of manifold epoxy with JB Weld to prevent this failure.
Only a 2 hour job, and I wish I had done this 12 yrs ago, at the same time inspect the exhaust elbow.
Rhythmnblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 23:19   #94

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, news is not good. My mechanic called me today after he has dismantled the turbo and he's advised there is an unknown amount of wear to the housing where the fan has been rubbing. Ideally he's recommending it be replaced but raised the question of whether it's worth replacing. $2100 to $2700 for a new turbo, $100 for a rebuild kit. The kits not enough to fix the wear problem though which means I'm going to continue to have oil problems in the exhaust. I've already spent $1000 on a replacement heat exchanger and fittings it's not worth spending another $2600 on getting a new turbo so it looks like I'm going to have to plan for a re engining for next year and stick an overall kit in it to bide some time. Frustrating!
Find the tiny plate on the turbo with the model number on it and do some digging. My turbo was completely trashed by the previous owner (blocked solid with carbon), but I found a place in the Netherlands who supplied me a brand new one for nz$1100 delivered including the duty and gst. Couple of gaskets from parts4engines and a bit of green paint and everything is perfect. I appreciate that it would have been easier to do this at the beginning, sorry.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, penta, volvo