Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 10:27   #121

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Why. Used Seawind is so much Higher Price than Lagoon

Can you give me the link to the Lagoon 440 for $700,000 please ?
Old 17-06-2013, 10:34   #122

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Can you give me the link to the Lagoon 440 for $700,000 please ?

44 ft 2004 Lagoon 440 US$801,000
2004 Lagoon 440 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

44 ft 2004 Lagoon 440 US$734,250
2004 Lagoon 440 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Strikhedonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 10:35   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
33 Lagoon 440's on the market with asking prices from mid 300's to upper 700's. 6 Seawind 1160's on the market with asking prices from mid 300's to mid 400's. I think it's obvious that anything mass produced will probably maintain a lower value as there are plenty of them on the market. Could be other reasons as well but does it matter? It is what it is.
I posted our pictures for observers to compare what you get for the money, the pricing i responded to and the post i responded to was this one :-
wjohm

Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon
Just checked.

In Australia 3 late model seawind 1160 asking price $450-$530. Three late model Lagoon 400 - $400-$450.

One very late model Seawind ($520K) - one very late model Lagoon 400 (475K).

Nowhere near double.

Also the Seawind owners tend to advertise at high prices and settle for much lower (a long time after putting on the market) whilst the lagoons vice versa.

I really dont think there is a large difference - 10% tops.

If you believe the occasional 2knot advantage is all it's about then fine go for it, our boat has never been chartered is in exceptional condition, fully loaded and way cheaper, GO FIGURE.....

As i said i have no idea why a Seawind is more expensive, we can cruise for 4 years on the price difference, whilst you are 'go figuring' as previously advised then 'go figure again' it's crazy...

Cheers
Old 17-06-2013, 10:37   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
Insane very old boats will never sell at that price, not a hope!

Cheers
Old 17-06-2013, 10:40   #125

Quote:
Beat to hell Lagoon??????? You are opinionated without knowledge of the real market maybe you should get out more?

Cheers Frank
Do you mean to argue that charter boats do not take a lot of abuse and are not much more heavily used than a boat that has always privately owned?

Please explain to me why 2006 Lagoon 440's range in price from $295,000 to $534,000. I'd bet you a beer the $295k boat was a previous charter boat.
Old 17-06-2013, 10:44   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
Do you mean to argue that charter boats do not take a lot of abuse and are not much more heavily used than a boat that has always privately owned?

Please explain to me why 2006 Lagoon 440's range in price from $295,000 to $534,000. I'd bet you a beer the $295k boat was a previous charter boat.
Der you miss the point i gave you instances of 440's that are not ex charter.....
Old 17-06-2013, 10:52   #127

Quote:

Just checked.

In Australia 3 late model seawind 1160 asking price $450-$530. Three late model Lagoon 400 - $400-$450.

If you believe the occasional 2knot advantage is all it's about then fine go for it, our boat has never been chartered is in exceptional condition, fully loaded and way cheaper, GO FIGURE.....

As i said i have no idea why a Seawind is more expensive, we can cruise for 4 years on the price difference, whilst you are 'go figuring' as previously advised then 'go figure again' it's crazy...
Cheers
On some points I agree with you and others not so much.

1. In the US, used Seawind 1160's are selling for between $330k and $380k (which I still feel is more than they are worth). A same year, similarly equiped Lagoon 440 is running (by my approximation) about $425k. With a median 1160 price of $355k and 440 of $425k that is a 20% more. Which, if you have the funds, could be very well worth it for the added space and comfort - BUT - if money is tight that could equate to another year or two out on the seas. We all make trade off choices based on our situation and to me the 440 is definitely a step up in acquisition cost to the 1160 and not a side-by-side comparison.

2. An occasional 2kt advantage is not a big deal if you are bouncing island to island in the Caribbean but if you are crossing the Atlantic or Pacific that 2kts makes a HUGE difference. Again, comes down to what type of sailing are you looking to do.
Old 17-06-2013, 11:24   #128

You will not maintain a crossing speed with a Seawind, my point is both our boat and our friends boats are far better equipped, far more capable, much more comfortable for our intended purpose (world cruising) and way cheaper than the prices quoted
NAMELY:-
iewjohm

Just checked.

One very late model Seawind ($520K) - one very late model Lagoon 400 (475K).

Nowhere near double.

Also the Seawind owners tend to advertise at high prices and settle for much lower (a long time after putting on the market) whilst the lagoons vice versa.

I really dont think there is a large difference - 10% tops.

Prices that have been pointed out are totally unrealistic to the actual market, a 2004 model 440 for that price values ours at $1million uh uh sumpin wong!!!!!!
Cheers Frank
Old 17-06-2013, 14:14   #129

Quote:
You miss my point, it's the comfort choice with sailing ability, some believe Lagoon's just motor well they don't they sail quite nicely and in the real cruising world hold their own well.
Cheers
Hmm, you appear to be missing my point. All boats are a compromise. Lagoon has sacrificed some performance for space. We have less space and (far) more performance. Seawind fit somewhere in between. Different compromises will suit different people. None is necessarily right or wrong.

As for the real cruising world.... I will mention a Lagoon (I think a 420) which sailed from New Caledonia to Bundaberg in last year's Port-to-Port rally had a serious failure, one which caused a rescue helicopter to be deployed. In fairly heavy beam seas, The hull-deck join started to separate, and the boat started taking on water.

Fortunately they were close to Australia and were able to run downwind and shelter behind Lady Musgrave Island till the weather improved.

A Seawind 1250 sailed with us to Vanuatu, in similar weather - 30-45 kt wind, just forward of the beam. Apart from breaking their no2 reefing line, (it was windy) they had no problems at all.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:38   #130

Boat: Lightwave 45

Hi

The prices I quoted were not wrong, but were in Australia where 17% taxes apply and you have to allow from 50K-100K for shipping. The prices you are comparing to are of course considerably less.

If you are going to make meaningful comparisons you need to look at boats in the same jurisdiction.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:55   #131
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
1. In the US, used Seawind 1160's are selling for between $330k and $380k (which I still feel is more than they are worth). A same year, similarly equiped Lagoon 440 is running
Pretty sure I saw Cool Runnings still on the market a couple of weeks back. They can't seem to give that boat away.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:01   #132
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Hmm, you appear to be missing my point. All boats are a compromise. Lagoon has sacrificed some performance for space. We have less space and (far) more performance. Seawind fit somewhere in between. Different compromises will suit different people. None is necessarily right or wrong..
We agree, although 'far' more performance is subjective and open to individual interpretation. We happily admit to placing comfort above performance in our priorities. That said, we still pass other cats regularly and without any special effort on our part, including in the past weeks on our voyage north along the OZ coast. We averaged 7.2kn (against the current and including ~2hrs with wind <10kn) over the 100nm from Yamba to Southport and passed two cats along the way, and then 7.3kn (including beating into 2-3M seas after Cape Moreton) over the 80nm from Southport to Mooloolaba; those may not be racing numbers, but they are certainly solid sailing performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
As for the real cruising world.... I will mention a Lagoon (I think a 420) which sailed from New Caledonia to Bundaberg in last year's Port-to-Port rally had a serious failure, one which caused a rescue helicopter to be deployed. In fairly heavy beam seas, The hull-deck join started to separate, and the boat started taking on water.

A Seawind 1250 sailed with us to Vanuatu, in similar weather - 30-45 kt wind, just forward of the beam. Apart from breaking their no2 reefing line, (it was windy) they had no problems at all.
If the intention here is to suggest that Seawinds are more seaworthy than Lagoons, we strongly object. We agree Seawinds are very seaworthy, but so are Lagoons...and to suggest otherwise really defies both logic and experience. There are (far!) more Lagoons out there than any other type of vessel...so it's no surprise one can find difficult experiences with them, but there are literally thousands of Lagoons with both happy owners and hundreds of thousands of very serious sea miles.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:57   #133
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I think this thread has become pointless. Both Lagoons and Seawinds seem to be selling regardless of their prices. Pick your poison.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:08   #134
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
I think this thread has become pointless. Both Lagoons and Seawinds seem to be selling regardless of their prices. Pick your poison.
Hear! Hear!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:17   #135

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Pointless, but very funny! Go team!!!

Jim

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon