Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2013, 15:11   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Why are Fountaine Pajot cats so much cheaper than Lagoon or Leopard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I have heard of production cats that have sailed from Cape Town to Walvis bay, a short distance in cruiser language. on inspection all had cracks where the hull meets the deck on the inside?
Who told you this? Did they hear it also or did they actually witness it? Were they able to inspect all production cats that have made the passage from Cape Town to Walvis Bay in order to verify they in fact have cracks in the hull/deck joint? Are they sure the cracks were from this passage? Did they inspect any non-production cats to verify that they don't have cracks?

This is just my opinion, but posting that you "heard" something and then "all", as in every one, makes the post worthless.

In regards to the OP's question, many of the FP cats from 10+ years ago came out of heavy use charter operations. I think they do look a little more worn down. But if you can save $50k and put it towards the much needed refit, I personally think they are a better value than the Lagoons. Bahia's especially.
Old 30-10-2013, 16:49   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I did not notice.

BTW are they not just older?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 17:53   #18

Boat: wharram tiki 26

mate i was having this conversation yesterday with a bloke who saw it with his own eyes. Ye gods this is a conversation not a bloody inquisition.You will notice i put a question mark after that statement your honour.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 19:24   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

Who told you this? Did they hear it also or did they actually witness it? Were they able to inspect all production cats that have made the passage from Cape Town to Walvis Bay in order to verify they in fact have cracks in the hull/deck joint? Are they sure the cracks were from this passage? Did they inspect any non-production cats to verify that they don't have cracks?

This is just my opinion, but posting that you "heard" something and then "all", as in every one, makes the post worthless.

In regards to the OP's question, many of the FP cats from 10+ years ago came out of heavy use charter operations. I think they do look a little more worn down. But if you can save $50k and put it towards the much needed refit, I personally think they are a better value than the Lagoons. Bahia's especially.
Spoke to a surveyor and a yard recently where we were going to have a potential cat hauled for a survey. The yard mgr made the comment "its not a leopard is it?" He wemt on to say he always gets nervous lifting them and made some not so good comments about why. When i mentioned it to our surveyor he said he had seen the same and actually failed a very new Leopard for structural issues related to construction.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:10   #20
Marine Service Provider

Leopards are great if you don't mind balsa sandwich construction below the water line...

If I was spending that kind of cash, it would be on something that's FRP with or without a foam core.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 21:53   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

In regards to the OP's question, many of the FP cats from 10+ years ago came out of heavy use charter operations. I think they do look a little more worn down. But if you can save $50k and put it towards the much needed refit, I personally think they are a better value than the Lagoons. Bahia's especially.[/QUOTE]

I will have to second that

Our never been chartered Bahia is certainly in way better condition than the heavily chartered Bahia and Belize that we chartered before buying.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 31-10-2013, 04:40   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
mate i was having this conversation yesterday with a bloke who saw it with his own eyes. Ye gods this is a conversation not a bloody inquisition.You will notice i put a question mark after that statement your honour.
Just yesterday? Wow, that was a lucky coincidence.

The reason I questioned your first statement is that so many of these hearsay's live long lives with no real basis in fact.
Old 31-10-2013, 04:49   #23
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Thaks smj - and its good to be back. Unfortunately I have been going through some sigficant family issues: in the last several months my brother's wife of 35 years succumbed to breast cancer while he himself is battling aggressive prostate cancer and my mother, who is refusing to be put in a home, is now seriously suffering from dememtia. It not only kept me off this site, but off the water for the summer - and nothing has done that for over 30 years.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 12:13   #24

Brad, I am sorry for your troubles. Keep your head up mate.
Old 31-10-2013, 12:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Just yesterday? Wow, that was a lucky coincidence.

The reason I questioned your first statement is that so many of these hearsay's live long lives with no real basis in fact.
Yes it may be a coincidence, but via skype the bloke was talking me thru some voyage planner data for open cpn. He lives in Walvis Bay and is starting to build a catamaran himself. I am not sure but I think he is a member here.

I did not mention particular brands of cats for a good reason, and you are correct probably not all cats have cracks. But the ones this individual had been on in Walvis bay certainly had according to him. Is it not good to make people aware of what might be a problem? Or just sweep it under the carpet as heresay.?
Old 31-10-2013, 13:44   #26
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Yes it may be a coincidence, but via skype the bloke was talking me thru some voyage planner data for open cpn. He lives in Walvis Bay and is starting to build a catamaran himself. I am not sure but I think he is a member here. I did not mention particular brands of cats for a good reason, and you are correct probably not all cats have cracks. But the ones this individual had been on in Walvis bay certainly had according to him. Is it not good to make people aware of what might be a problem? Or just sweep it under the carpet as heresay.?
Can't be aware of the problem if we don't know what kind of cat?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 13:45   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Sorry to hear that Brad. Hopefully 2014 will be kinder to you.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Can't be aware of the problem if we don't know what kind of cat?
Mate it's a general heads up, have a look to see is all.
Old 31-10-2013, 14:15   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Spoke to a surveyor and a yard recently where we were going to have a potential cat hauled for a survey. The yard mgr made the comment "its not a leopard is it?" He wemt on to say he always gets nervous lifting them and made some not so good comments about why. When i mentioned it to our surveyor he said he had seen the same and actually failed a very new Leopard for structural issues related to construction.
Which series of Leopards are we talking about ??

- the earlier series 42- 47's
- the M & M 46's
- or current 44's

Thanks
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 14:40   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Which series of Leopards are we talking about ??

- the earlier series 42- 47's
- the M & M 46's
- or current 44's

Thanks
The yard manager did not reference what size nor year. He seemed to make it as generalized statement which could have been he had an issue with one and is damning all... The surveyor said it was a 2 year old 40 something (i forget) that failed the survey meaning it would not be insurable unless the hull defects were fixed. The 38 was 4 years old and had so many signs integrity issues he wasnt very comfortable with it either but it wasnt as extensive. We saw a 38 in Bimini an 04 or 05 that was in such a bad state gelcoat and finish andncracks everywhere like a gemini I wasnt sure if it was an ex charter or what but Im given the impression that either it was completly abused or they just arent that durable.
Im sure these are the exceptions.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, fountaine pajot, lagoon, leopard