Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 17:57   #406

Boat: 37 ft Searunner AROHA 3
Searunners when sold it seems that the books come with the boat. luckily mine are like new and hardly read. The second edition of the construction manual has so much to offer is well worth the read. Jim Browns philosofies certainly does get inspiring. A way of life that just doesnt seem to be around these days with computers and the money world.
What i like about the Searunner is its performance and living spaces
The Central cockpit i have it completely covered so that is like another room. Taking it off in summer and or partially in warmer days
Having a Webasco diesel heater pumping heat from one arma forward and to the stern of the main hull its a real winner living through the winter on the boat. Also running off wind directly using only a smaller spinaker works real well with no pole. Jims huge recommended spinakers are good but in very light winds, handfull above 12 knots for me.
A sock is the best way to put them up.

Crazy as it might seem but some weight in the arma's isnt a bad thing
It works for me i believe keeping it mid of the arma.
any thoughts out there regarding weight.
islandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 20:08   #407

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
See if you can find the Searunner Contruction Manual in this bunch of shots.....:-)

Synthetic Searunner pictures by jmolan - Photobucket
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 21:40   #408

Jim's Book on Ebay

Case for the Cruising Trimaran by Brown HB Sailing - eBay (item 400062523625 end time Sep-16-09 09:45:33 PDT)

Also a Sail Magazine article by Nigle Calder on Fiber rigging.

We will be rigging Rann's 34' soon, we are gathering up the materials now...will keep you posted.....:-)
Old 30-08-2009, 08:12   #409

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
We will be rigging Rann's 34' soon, we are gathering up the materials now...will keep you posted.....:-)
Do, please. Back to the usual question on the dyneema. How is it holding up under the UV? Also, how did the test results the other fellow turn out?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 13:53   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Do, please. Back to the usual question on the dyneema. How is it holding up under the UV? Also, how did the test results the other fellow turn out?

Maren, eveything is still standing...:-)

It si DUX...not Dynex, I only say that because we are trying to get past everyone saying "oho you can't use spectra, or dynex, or amsteel....and they are right. Dux is not these things.

We can get factrory covered Dux (not dynex) now. If has a very lightweight cover weaved over it for protection from chaff and UV if you are concerned. It comes in many colors and looks very cool...:-)

I ran some numbers....it can be difficult as the wire is in feet and lbs. and the Dux is in metric.

7mm Dux covered is 8.6 mm...or 11/32" diam. has a breaking strength of 15,500lbs.

3/8" 316 SS wire breaking strength is 14,500 lbs. breaking strength.
Wire 3/8 in. 1x19 SS Type 316 (per ft.): Mauri Pro Sailing

The wire comes in at 3.45 ft. per pound
Dux comes in at 44 ft. per pound

I just got the roll of 7mm we will rig Ranns boat with.

328 ft. weighs 7.5 lbs.

Or if you used 7.5 lbs of 3/8 316 wire you would get 25.8 feet of wire.

You cannot even rig one stay with the same weight you would rig and entire 34' Searunner with......:-)

We just got the OK to do Nigel Calders new boat in Sweden...:-) It will be the biggest Monohull so far.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35   #411

A fine Cruising Trimaran

Some Time ago I cruised with Harry Haight and his wife on the Western Coast of Thailand - One day Thailand's top Navy brass came to visit and asked to come aboard - they were astounded by the amount of space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QUERIDA H. Haight's 48 N Cross Tri.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	9649  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50   #412

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
This is a subject that I have not seen discussed regarding Searunners... In an effort to get more "hip room" in the double bunk in our Searunner 34, I am considering cutting off the bunk area 1X2 that supports the cockpit seat end & back, over the bunk area. (on the frame you face, when sitting up in the bunk) This ply joint would then be rounded over & glassed around the edge, about 1/8" thick & several inches wide, with staggering layers of Bi ax or the like. It would give almost 1 1/2" more turning room, ang the strength would be replaced by the glassed over joint. (like much of the boat) Has anyone done this? Any reason not to do it?
Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 13:14   #413

Welcome aboard Mark!

I do not know anyone who has done this. I have considered (every time I crawl into it) enlarging the "holes" in the Fwd. stowage area down low, next to the centerboard. There is a lot of deep dark space there to utilize, but to get at it is almost impossible!.....I have also considered a sliding rack. I know these openings are structural and make the Searunner very stiff. Would like to pics if you take this project on.
I was wondering, is your boat up and running, are you cruising, into a rebuild etc.....:-)
Old 01-09-2009, 13:23   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Some Time ago I cruised with Harry Haight and his wife on the Western Coast of Thailand - One day Thailand's top Navy brass came to visit and asked to come aboard - they were astounded by the amount of space.
Laidback welcome!

I am wondering if that is the boat that was built in the Phillipines.

I have been to this shop and they do very nice work.

Boatshop Philippines, Inc. | Portfolio
Old 01-09-2009, 13:47   #415

Hip room

Jmolan,
After 10 years building, (7 full time), we have lived aboard &/or cruised for most of the last 12. Recently rented a house, as it gets too cold here, & we are in work mode right now. We have cruised a good bit... The Gulf of Mexico, all over the Fl Keys, many trips to the Bahamas, up to the Chesapeake after getting HAMMERED by hurricane Ivan in Pensacola, also both sides of the Caribbean. We came here to New Bern NC a couple of years ago From Trinidad, after running out of money. (two stops, 12 sea days, from Trini to the Beaufort inlet) Searunners are great boats!
Anyway, yeah those lower cubby holes are tight! I would be hesitant to cut them larger however, as that frame helps support the CB trunk / mast/ etc. Perhaps only 1" or so taller, & round on top, would do the trick?
In my case, we have been using seperate bunks, due to the tight hip room under the cockpit seat. Due to WAY too many injuries, we have resorted to 2" MEMORY FOAM, on TOP of our 4" matresses! Yeah, I know... NOT Searunner like, but it really helps. This makes for a "wedge fit ass situation". Besides loosing weight myself, cutting myself a bit more room would solve the problem. I think that this could be done without loosing frame strength, but wonder if I shouldn't loosen the rig during the project? I just thought someone might have done this. (I'm also planning to make the bunk 4" wider in a slight "L" shape)
We keep the boat in cruising form, and still cruise locally, but during this undetermined break from cruising, & back to the "workaday World", we do lots of upgrades, so when the time comes to put more stamps in our passports, the boat will be ready.
Mark
Old 01-09-2009, 14:47   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Thanks for the considered response, Steve.

Larry, the Juniper 2 (nee ‘Carisa’) is for sale. Yes, it could be yours … The Multihull Company (Philadelphia, PA)

Anyway…

There are a lot of things I like about the Marples 44CC; chief of which is that, if constructed well up to this point, it’s an incredible value. There are also a number of people who have built them over the years, so there is a pool of experience to tap out there.

There are some things that make pause, too. One of which is the design itself seems dated. I know this is proven design, and I everything I have read says its pretty one too, but it seems the current consensus is daggerboards are generally preferred to centerboards as they create less drag. And the solid wings are nice in terms of acreage but it seems a bit of netting might be preferable. And frankly I would be willing to add a bit windage if the pilot house could be worked in or a pass-through walkway that isn’t three feet high.

And therein lies the rub. More weight to a weight-sensitive boat.

Steve, concerning the sugar scoop steps, are you thinking of the rikki-tikki-tavi solution http://www.svrikki.net/RTT/transom2.html or something else? When I look at them I think slip hazard and perfect way to get injured when trying to climb back in. But I could be wrong. I would think a something of one or both of the wings would work fairly well and could be broad enough.
Larry, the Juniper 2 (nee ‘Carisa’) is for sale. Yes, it could be yours … The Multihull Company (Philadelphia, PA)
Carisa was built by good friends Don & Tamar Clark. She is a work of art. Thing is... @ 54", the boat was HUGE on the outside & small on the inside. They never got it all painted at once, it was so large. They would be back in the yard doing more painting, every other year. Also, the free standing mast were Chris White's origionals. They required sock sails that were VERY hard to raise, and the mast required reefing early due to bend. (a spinaker was risky too for this reason) Still, 10 knots of speed much of the time, was NO problem! Chris's Juniper l , was retrofitted with modern stayed mast. (presumably with full battens & roller bearing cars) This really made it a better boat... IMO This is a great boat, but not for the mild of heart!
Best, Mark
Old 01-09-2009, 14:55   #417

Very cool Mark thanks. Actually I had considered opening up the holes and then doubleing the opening with another layer Plywood for reinforcement. It is not top on my list though. Pleanty of other ideas. Like a watermaker or inboard or fridge or......

Glad to have you here on the board.
Old 01-09-2009, 14:59   #418

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: solid wing decks vs netting.

The former owner of the 31 I had laced in fiberglass panels in place of netting. It worked well.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 15:18   #419

[QUOTE=Jmolan;326488]Very cool Mark thanks. Actually I had considered opening up the holes and then doubleing the opening with another layer Plywood for reinforcement. It is not top on my list though. Pleanty of other ideas. Like a watermaker or inboard or fridge or......

Jmolan,
Our watermaker still works on it's first mrmbrane... 20 years later. (it was on my previous boat, a Seaclipper 28)
Our frige uses < 30 AH / day! (even in the tropics) Works great after 10 years.
Our engine is in the "new prefered" possition, under the steps. Easy to work on...
My solutions are frequently expensive & time consuming, but they sure are nice after one pays the up front price. If you want some details later when you get ready for these upgrades, I'd be glad to help. It all adds weight though. Hard choices!
Mark
Old 01-09-2009, 20:09   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Laidback welcome!

I am wondering if that is the boat that was built in the Phillipines.

I have been to this shop and they do very nice work.

Boatshop Philippines, Inc. | Portfolio
Hi, J Molan,
I am not sure, where it was built - I will email Mike Allen at the Boat shop and Harry who is retired in Phuket Thailand . Quirada was sold some ago - a really good cruising trimaran !
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran