Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 02:26   #2911

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
John

As I have mentioned, I decided to build a boat basically on the drive back from Miami after looking at your SR 37. Interesting reflections, a CC 35 would take way more than 4 years to build part time.

Anyway, the best thing about that boat was the engine install and mast. If the engine ran good when laid up, don't mess with it. Would be good to clean the fuel tank out and replace the filters. Most northern yard change the oil just prior to winterizing, not sure if you did that.

So change the fuel filters, clean the tank, check the oil, change impeller, pull the stop cable out and crank it for 20 seconds to spread the oil.

Fire here up. the last thing you need at this point is sticker shock on Volvo parts!

Yes, I did all of the above but the diesel is dead. It made a loud clunk when I was turning it over and then it wouldn't do anything. At that point I noticed water coning out of the air intake. With the cost of Volvo parts I'm not even going to attempt to troubleshoot. It is going to go to diesel heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-10-2014, 04:49   #2912
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wow, major bummer. I was going to mention no to crank it for extended periods with the water intake open and you can fill the engine with water if the exhaust backs up.

If this all just happened in the last few days, things might still be salvageable. It was running fine 2 years ago our you heard the loud clunk the last time you ran it?

Anyway, good luck. I think there may have been a used Volvo 2003 around here a few weeks back.
Old 21-10-2014, 04:43   #2913

Quote:
Wow, major bummer. I was going to mention no to crank it for extended periods with the water intake open and you can fill the engine with water if the exhaust backs up.

If this all just happened in the last few days, things might still be salvageable. It was running fine 2 years ago our you heard the loud clunk the last time you ran it?

Anyway, good luck. I think there may have been a used Volvo 2003 around here a few weeks back.
Thanks for the help but I am going to let the diesel rest in peace. It is old and tired. And, I am an outboard kind of guy. I like outboards: they are lighter and easy to remove from the boat for maintenance/repair/storage/replacement. If I happen to get to some far off island and an engine dies the chances there will be one available is great. Yes they are gasoline and no they won't charge the house batteries.

My boat has two locations, one on each side, that are perfect to mount outboards. I have designed a lifting bracket for those locations. I can remove my solid propeller and strut (the strut unbolts). I will probably just push the shaft forward as far as it goes (when I am old and sell the boat the next owner may want to go back to an inboard). No more drag from stuff hanging in the water, just a clean hull.

My friend has one 15hp Johnson with electric start that he is selling to me for $350. I will hunt for another but apparently a 15hp outboard with electric start and remote control is a rare find, even here in Newport, RI.

Also, the boatyard cut me a break on the rate for this winter's storage, back to the same rate as I have been paying. With that I won't have to launch the boat so I will have the winter to finalize the work I need to do on the boat, well, a boat is never finished . . . .

Does anyone want an old Volvo Model 2003 engine, or need parts for one?
Old 21-10-2014, 17:56   #2914
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

John, I have 2 outboards on my cat which is a similar displacement to a SR 37 and windage. I mainly just use the one as the other is really setup to be a spare, but symmetrical installation. On a tri, I personally would go with an inboard. I thought hard about diesels for the cat, but decided the cost and weight if 2 diesels was too much and a single hull installation was maybe ok, but less than ideal. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions, but you could find yourself a good use yanmar for 3K or so. The hard work is already done on that install. BTW, I have about a 1/2 dozen yamaha 9.9 high thrusts laying around from the pdq fleet if you need anything.
Old 22-10-2014, 08:15   #2915

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
John, I have 2 outboards on my cat which is a similar displacement to a SR 37 and windage. I mainly just use the one as the other is really setup to be a spare, but symmetrical installation. On a tri, I personally would go with an inboard. I thought hard about diesels for the cat, but decided the cost and weight if 2 diesels was too much and a single hull installation was maybe ok, but less than ideal. I'm sure you'll get some other opinions, but you could find yourself a good use yanmar for 3K or so. The hard work is already done on that install. BTW, I have about a 1/2 dozen yamaha 9.9 high thrusts laying around from the pdq fleet if you need anything.
An outboard on a tri is OK. The only problem with hanging one off one side of the hull stern (not ama) is that it is aft and aside of the rudder. It needs to be steerable since lack of prop wash on the rudder makes steering with it impossible until headway is made. Rudder steering astern is a total laugh.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 08:21   #2916

Boat: hunter 27

anybody looking for wood parts and plans for the 26 model? hatches, centerboard, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
raybobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 15:05   #2917

Do you mean the 25'er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybobsky View Post
anybody looking for wood parts and plans for the 26 model? hatches, centerboard, etc?

magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 04:29   #2918

Quote:
Thanks for all the help but I am sticking with outboards. I have already burnt my belly laying on top of that diesel changing the belt. To change the starter I would have to pull it out. It's just too cramped, too hard to maintain for my likes.

The outboards will be two, on the sides of the vaka, amidships. The Yamahas are tempting but I'm not sure they are big enough. My diesel is 28hp so I am thinking two 15s.

What's the price on the Yamahas? Are they electric start/remote control?
Old 25-10-2014, 07:17   #2919

Boat: hunter 27

yea probably the 25. it's been a while since I cut it up.

raybobsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:18   #2920

Boat: Searunner 31

I have SR 31 and have istalled a second OB which gives me extra safty, when one of them cuts out , as ist has happend to me in the east river in NY with a 4 kn current running.It also provides for very nice maneuverability in close quaters,as i can reverse one of the motors and turn on a dime. With both motors full speed, she moves at 7.5 kn in flat waters. The motors are 8 hp yamaha on one side and 9.9 tohasu on the other side. The yamaha is quieter, so this one is usually being used alone.
Both motors are mounted on a sled, the same Jim Brown has on his 31
Gerald
gskufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:43   #2921

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskufner View Post
I have SR 31 and have istalled a second OB which gives me extra safty, when one of them cuts out , as ist has happend to me in the east river in NY with a 4 kn current running.It also provides for very nice maneuverability in close quaters,as i can reverse one of the motors and turn on a dime. With both motors full speed, she moves at 7.5 kn in flat waters. The motors are 8 hp yamaha on one side and 9.9 tohasu on the other side. The yamaha is quieter, so this one is usually being used alone.
Both motors are mounted on a sled, the same Jim Brown has on his 31
Gerald
7.5kn seems to be hull speed for a SR31 under power. That's what a 15hp 4 stroke Honda would give me at about 3/4 throttle and .75 gal/hr.. I could get 8kn but never pushed the engine enough to figure the consumption. Only did it long enough to please my curiosity.
Old 25-10-2014, 12:48   #2922

Boat: Boatless

I'm surprised only getting 7.5 in flat water with both. I'm sure I'm getting 5 with my 9.9 Yamaha. Not full throttle.

But having two sounds like a real good idea for a bunch of reasons. Maybe I will build another sled for my SR 31 this winter.

I'm up in Noank.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:41   #2923

Boat: Searunner 31

Do you gents have plans for the sled, or did you just eyeball it? I'm curious about how it attaches at the pivot end.

Also, for those of you with Honda outboards, the 9.9 can be bumped to 15 horse by changing the carb internals. Saved me a bunch of money and gets me the power I need.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-10-2014, 08:26   #2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
I'm surprised only getting 7.5 in flat water with both. I'm sure I'm getting 5 with my 9.9 Yamaha. Not full throttle.

But having two sounds like a real good idea for a bunch of reasons. Maybe I will build another sled for my SR 31 this winter.

I'm up in Noank.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I might sound stupid ( have done that before ) but I am not acquainted with the term sled? Can you give me a quick description? TY
Old 28-10-2014, 08:48   #2925

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

It's the fairing that covers the lower portion of an outboard mount. Surely, someone has a picture of one?

Here's one of SCRIMSHAW, Jim Brown's boat (courtesy of searunner.org): CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR LARGER SIZE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrimshaw sled.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	90453  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran