Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 16:32   #31

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: The right fishing reel for sail cruising

We have the hand line for sure, but I've been using one of those back packing fishing rods around a reef patch. I can sometimes cast from the boat to the edge of a coral patch and catch a couple of small fish.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 16:55   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Ah - you go with light tackle. I use 400# monofilament 100 feet behind the boat, same donut for line storage, with a 1/4" bungee cord as the shock absorber. A coke can with a couple of nuts and washers inside is attached to the shock cord. When the can goes 'rattle' there's a fish on the end - usually skipping across the surface like a frisbee.

Rot-gut vodka in a plastic bottle labeled 'Fish Juice' at the transom is available for dripping onto the gills (instant anesthesia), along with gloves for handling the line.

A few folk I've run across swear by parachute cord instead of the monofilament, they are using even heavier gear than I.

- rob
I bought 50yds of 400 pound mono, cut it in half and put the halves on two Cuban yoyos. Use some old bicycle tires to absorb the shock. Wrap the last couple of feet around a stern cleat on each hull. Truth be told if I am sailing any faster than 6-8 knots the fish drowns and is dead before I can get it on the sugar scoop. I tie a line around the tail and make a couple of cuts to bleed it. I do some of the rot gut vodka, but find it is worth more as trade goods to commercial fishermen.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 17:12   #33

Boat: Fontaine Pagot Helia Evolution 44

great info, guess I was looking at this wrong--and you are not kidding the new fishing line can cut you, great point.
Catamaranbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 22:12   #34

Boat: Fontaine Pagot Helia Evolution 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The handlines are nice, but it's good to have at least one rod/reel setup so you can run lighter (20 - 40lb) tackle for fish that are picky and are scared off by the big thick tackle on handlines (it's hard to run anything under 100lb on a handline as you'll get broken off). A lot of fish have good eyesight!

I'll seriously get 3/4 times the hits using the lighter tackle on a rod reel (pair of second hand PENN Senator 113W) over my handline, and the fish are smaller (<20lb) as well which is better for me as I don't have a huge fridge/freezer.

Anything over 20 knots windspeed however I am switching to handlines - less to deal with when it gets boisterous

If nothing else it's great at improving how fast you can douse sails (if i'm running the spinny) or heave to (my preferred method of stopping if I'm on a beam reach or above and I hook something)
Thanks AlcTel--I'm really glad somebody else likes the control of a rod and cool that you like that reel. I was starting to think I'm the only one not able to yank a fish in under a heartbeat or not using a cuban yoyo, which I would have guessed was something bad guys threaten to do to you if I had not looked it up. I just wanted to pass on the wide reel--way to go Forum for taking it so many totally cool directions!!
Catamaranbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43   #35

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
This is exactly the right rig for sailing. Forget about rods and reels. Save that for when you want to sport fish. This setup with a Huntington drone is the biz. I like to run one on each side. One as shown and another with a small squid lure and a Boone bird. Only thing I would add is that if you are fishing in an area with sharks swap out the 100kg fleurocarbon leader with flexible stainless wire.
Is that the Huntington 2 1/2 (4”) drone? Just curious which size you’re using and what hits it (mostly). Love those drones!

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:01   #36

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I use a Penn Squall and have no problems using a rod in a rod holder near the transom.

But the best way to fish while sailing is with a handline. This is about catching good, fish for dinner and has nothing to do with "sport" fishing.
For offshore, use 200 feet of 400# mono and about 15 feet of 200# leader. For protected waters, lighter line is OK. Wire is good for leader because everything has sharp teeth, fins, and chutes.
NEVER use the new spectra lines for a handline because they are so thin they will cut your hands. Never wrap any line, or gaff-hook handle line, around your hand or wrist. (These fish are powerful and can pull you over the rail. And even a small fish can suddenly be eaten by a much larger predator.) Use a strong rubber snubber to attach the handline to a cleat. Let the fish fight the line until you can safely slow the boat and bring in dinner. Store your handline on a Cuban Yoyo, as others have said.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:05   #37

I should clarify; I use a short rod with a Penn Squall when we are motoring and I can quickly slow the ship. When we are under sail, a handline is much better. A handline can fish unattended for as long as needed.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:39   #38

Boat: FP Helia 44

Anyone have a tip for sargassum avoidance on the fishing line?
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 15:09   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
... Never wrap any line, or gaff-hook handle line, around your hand or wrist....

The safe way to use a loop for a gaff, boathook, machete, knife of whatever:

hook it over your thumb and around the back of your hand.

When attaching the loop, size it so that it is a good fit when using this method
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lanyard.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	195334  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 15:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The safe way to use a loop for a gaff, boathook, machete, knife of whatever:

hook it over your thumb and around the back of your hand.

When attaching the loop, size it so that it is a good fit when using this method
Thanks for that. I might use it for inshore fish.

The safe way is to cut off the loop from your gaff-hook so that even the least-experienced child can not attempt to use the loop. If there is danger of losing the gaff if you drop it, use a single strand of the cut loop to attach a small float. These pelagic predators move faster than we can think, and you >might not< be able to free your hand and thumb in a split second. Just a twist in the loop and it could take your thumb instead of slipping off.
Old 04-07-2019, 15:29   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

After spending time here in Newfoundland here is our new boat reel:

… it’s not actually this one. But we’re planning to get the modern version, which looks surprisingly like the traditional one:

Old 04-07-2019, 15:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliades View Post
Anyone have a tip for sargassum avoidance on the fishing line?
Always a concern. In areas with a lot of weeds you might try a Drone spoon or something else with a single hook. I sometimes use a big swivel or a weight at the line-to-leader connection. That can help. In fact, with any spoon I use a weight that is offset and has a good swivel so it will not allow the line to twist.
Old 04-07-2019, 18:49   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaranbliss View Post
great info, guess I was looking at this wrong--and you are not kidding the new fishing line can cut you, great point.

Spider wire can cut you finger OFF.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 18:53   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The right fishing reel for sail cruising

Even a weedless or anything will collect grass, unfortunately grass lines are often where you will find good fish.
I can reel in line much faster with a good two speed reel than anyone can a hand line, but it is more money, a good one is lots more money.
I used to Sportfish so I still have several good rods and reels, even some electric ones, I brought two Penn International SW30’s and two tuna stick rods with me.
We called them tuna sticks, I doubt that’s the official name, short stout rods.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	195345
That’s a King Mackerel I think rod and reel in front of the fish of course
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 19:03   #45

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrau18 View Post
I think you meant to write yellowfin. One of the best eating fish you can find. Yellowtail are pretty good too, though.

Thanks, I stand corrected, Yellowfin...and yes it was.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fish, fishing, sail