Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 13:53   #151

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Buzzstar. What does being a moderator have to do with it? Be careful.... Im a fully certified offshore rescue medic. I probably have more experience with rescue vessels than you have ever thought about..

Not been around too much? Would that be thought of as arrogance on your part?

Gosh....
Exactly. Being a rescue medic has nothing to do with the subject. Calling people idiots does have a lot to do with being a moderator. If you still are abler to remember your particular post to which my reply was applicable, you said, "It always surprises me how all the support vessels for offshore work are Cats." Those are your words via cut and paste. There was no mention of "rescue vessels" it had to do with "support vessels for offshore work." "All" is a claim that is plain ridiculous. And you have the nerve to call me arrogant! I am sticking with "shame" as well as my personal opinion about catamarans. I'd be sad if you banned me for that as seemingly you threatened, but if it is to be let it happen. It would tell me that you feel exempt from the rules that should bind us all.
Old 26-02-2017, 13:54   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Perhaps a better example of an undisturbed wake:

Ah, a good hull design. Sweet. Cats are quite fast off the wind and they have lot of room. But not really for the budget sailor. Most budget sailors will choose a mono for it's lower cost of ownership. (Lower slip cost, lower engine maintenance, etc.)

Who know maybe if demand is really high for cat, I'll be able to pick up a nice 45-50 foot mono for $20k. That would be nice. Thanks rich guys for helping drive mono prices lower so us poorer folks can enjoy sailing too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 13:55   #153

[QUOTE=44'cruisingcat;2334477]Perhaps a better example of an undisturbed wake:

While trolling a line of the port transom nice, did you catch anything?

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 13:55   #154

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
It happened to a cat on which I was a guest. Not fun. No one hurt. Quickly rescued. The experience has influenced my view, and I do not believe the wind and sea conditions were not much different than you describe. The captain/owner was (he is dead now from causes unrelated to sailing) was very experienced with catamarans. But then that is one of the beauties of sailing, choice. May you remain safe, and smug.
First I thought you were making fun.

Now I understand that your highly experienced owner is Larry Ellison and the boat you are talking about is Oracle's Americas Cup AC72 cat that capsized in 21kn of wind and 6ft waves...

Otherwise you can not be serious. No habitable cruising cat capsizes in 22kn storms or 6ft freak waves. Are you sure you have ever seen a crusing catamaran?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 13:58   #155

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Exactly. Being a rescue medic has nothing to do with the subject. Calling people idiots does have a lot to do with being a moderator. If you still are abler to remember your particular post to which my reply was applicable, you said, "It always surprises me how all the support vessels for offshore work are Cats." Those are your words via cut and paste. There was no mention of "rescue vessels" it had to do with "support vessels for offshore work." "All" is a claim that is plain ridiculous. And you have the nerve to call me arrogant! I am sticking with "shame" as well as my personal opinion about catamarans. I'd be sad if you banned me for that as seemingly you threatened, but if it is to be let it happen. It would tell me that you feel exempt from the rules that should bind us all.
welcome to my "ignore" list!
Life is too short for this.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:05   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Make my mind up? What on earth for because ,nothing has been contradicted.

These people control 100% of what we see in their vids so they deserve no leeway in our interpretation. On the other hand, if the vids were controlled by someone else, they might indeed earn a little leeway by claiming that important bits had been edited out by some nasty outsider.
You implied they had no leeway to disclose the financial arrangements they have or to release how much the make. In the next breathe you say they don't have an obligation. Saying they no leeway is the same as saying they have to tell all.

But if you want to continue to insist as public figures they should reveal everything, go ahead. I will enjoy watching the show.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:22   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

One of the new offshore maintenance and Rescue cats....
We have a lot of German built Cats taking over in Europe for the purposes of supply and help... a new system of underwater stability in the hulls that is amazing... endurance is nearly two months for the crews on board.. luxury living.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:28   #158

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Perhaps a better example of an undisturbed wake:
Or this one:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=0&FORM=VDFSRV
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:30   #159

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
First I thought you were making fun.

Now I understand that your highly experienced owner is Larry Ellison and the boat you are talking about is Oracle's Americas Cup AC72 cat that capsized in 21kn of wind and 6ft waves...

Otherwise you can not be serious. No habitable cruising cat capsizes in 22kn storms or 6ft freak waves. Are you sure you have ever seen a crusing catamaran?
All I can say: 1/ My host is dead, Larry Ellison is not. 2/ The cat was built and or designed by Prout and I think it was 28 feet. 3/ I am serious. 4/ Although I do not have any exact numbers for the sea conditions or the wind speed, based upon memory (it was some years ago) and my evaluation of the conditions mentioned, I think the range was there. 5. I am alive, and have not sailed or sailed on anything (of the nature of a cat) but small catamarans since, and on lakes at that, although I have gone over while flying a hull, but that was within the realm of expectation. Easy to right after, although it would not be at my present age and agility.
Old 26-02-2017, 14:40   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regardless of personal preference among the die hards, the reality is that catamarans have made huge inroads into the boating market.

For all the reasons stated, Cats work well in the charter arena. That said, the big manufacturers sell a lot to privates as well. They have proven themselves in terms of safety and reliability and for this reason, I have found my liking for the acreage is also matched by the seaworthiness of the vessels.

It will get to a 50/50 market in due course. Unfounded prejudice is all that stands in the way of individual acceptance.

You dont have to like them, but facts show them to be safe and sound.
Old 26-02-2017, 14:44   #161

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I hear a lot of talk about cruising cats being more popular, but when I look out the window in our 900 boat marina, there is ONE cruising cat, a Catana 40. It sits on a more expensive end tie, and I've seen it out maybe twice a year. There are about a dozen tri's, half of them 40 year old Searunners, and a couple of Gemini's which sit at the dock, but I don't consider any of them capable of cruising.

So where are all these new cats? Are they in stealth mode?? Or is Northern California no country for cruising cats?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 14:46   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I hear a lot of talk about cruising cats being more popular, but when I look out the window in our 900 boat marina, there is ONE cruising cat, a Catana 40. It sits on a more expensive end tie, and I've seen it out maybe twice a year. There are about a dozen tri's, half of them 40 year old Searunners, and a couple of Gemini's which sit at the dock, but I don't consider any of them capable of cruising.

So where are all these new cats? Are they in stealth mode?? Or is Northern California no country for cruising cats?
California is not Cat friendly... I noticed that when I lived in Central CA.
Go to Florida......... they breed them there..
Old 26-02-2017, 15:05   #163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Fascinating conversation
Cats have lot of room per linear foot; I've delivered several
I prefer the feel of our 60' 45ton ketch in a seaway over any cat or tri I've sailed. I can see the appeal of a Cat for the Bahamas or islands but on a long, rough passage I like the slow, easy motion of our choice. To each ones own. Cost is about the same in our case (47' Cat vs 60' Ketch so that isn't it).
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 15:07   #164

Boat: Rafiki 37

I see virtually no cruising cats around my area in the PNW either. Last time I saw one I think was in last July at the start of the R2AK.

In fact I see more trimarans!

Anyone know why that is? Marinas not set up to handle them? Harder to heat and keep warm?

In any case I feel the statement 'people are moving to cats' may be limited to certain geographical areas...
Old 26-02-2017, 15:14   #165

Boat: Colegate 26

I don't feel I'm experienced enough to comment on the boats ...

But what the YouTube people are doing, with Patreon, isn't exactly begging. It's more like street performance, or to use an old phrase, they're troubadours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubadour

They perform entertainment for us, we are not required to throw a nickel in their hat, but they've provided a way to do so via the internet if we feel they're worth it.

Frankly, I don't think the quality of their productions is worth the 4 to 20 dollars per episode that I've heard some of them quote, but in just the right circumstance I might buy Delos a beer.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull