Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2015, 05:41   #391
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Re: Hydraulic Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
I do hear your point about telling if the boat is overpowered. You can also just see if she rounds up severely.
Its not so much just telling if you are overpowered, its more of a question of how hard your auto pilot has to work to keep you on course.

I was once helping to deliver a beautiful 60 foot Frans Mass ketch that had a great dbl berth in the aft stateroom. BUT the noise from that CONSTANTLY adjusting steering would not let you get any sleep back there. And I just had to imagine what it was doing to the battery's energy reserve (older style lead acid ones).

On another vessel I was constantly trying to readjust the sails to try and arrive at a good 'balance' that would arrive at the best course keeping combination that required a minimum of steering input. Difficult to find that 'combination' with hydraulic steering.

BTW I do not think all mechanical systems have to leave you 'out in the elements'.
Old 26-08-2015, 06:51   #392

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
....as are all the boats with the helm out in the elements so you can see the tell-tails and tweak for the last fraction of a knot and "feel the boat" and all that. I love that people are into that, but I'm just trying to get to the next pretty island without paying for fuel.
You're right up my street with that one! .. Boat is really coming together Hugh, love the speaker system idea. Is it all ran off an iphone/ipod? What happens if in their wisdom Apple decide to change the connectors again?

If its in a NAS drive (for your films etc) which system did you go for?

Heath
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:57   #393

Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Good evening,

Saw this thread by pure coincidence. I drive past the boatyard every day and noticed there is a new boat waiting to break out the doors. Also see that the guys at the yard have been burning the midnight oil working some overtime. Now I know why.

Very exciting for you! Thanks also for having your boat built in our town. St Francis Marine is a big employer and the staff working there feed many families in the district.

Good luck with the launching. It is always exciting to see the new boats when they get hauled through town and blocking our "rush hour traffic".

Regards,
Banjo,
St Francis Bay.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:12   #394

Former A/V installer?

It is starting to make sense.

Me too, but I'm still working a bit.

I'm completely stoked you have these systems on board, I would too. So many sailors scoff at having these things but I've never worried too much about what other people think.

Thank you for these updates!

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:21   #395

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
I drive past the boatyard every day and noticed there is a new boat waiting to break out the doors. Also see that the guys at the yard have been burning the midnight oil working some overtime. Now I know why.

Regards,
Banjo,
St Francis Bay.
Hugh, as your completion draws near, I hope you will post the credits due all those working on your masterpiece. Names, job descriptions of St Francis employees and all subcontractors. Also other credits to any businesses you liked in the area would be nice too.
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 19:03   #396

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
You're right up my street with that one! .. Boat is really coming together Hugh, love the speaker system idea. Is it all ran off an iphone/ipod? What happens if in their wisdom Apple decide to change the connectors again?

If its in a NAS drive (for your films etc) which system did you go for?

Heath
It takes Bluetooth, and the docking station is USB. It came with three adapters (new iPod, old iPod, and USB mini C (Android et al)). There's also several audio inputs in the back of the unit.

I haven't tested my video system yet to know what input I'll use for video. Three elements in the system take USB video in: The Fusion system, the TV itself, and my Blu-Ray player. I'm hoping the TV works for the media playing, as it should consume the least electricity (since it needs to be on anyway). A lot to sort out with that once we get in the water.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 19:17   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Regarding the hydraulic steering, if you take a look at the thread 'upgrades to helia 44'. The op changed his steering from cable to hydraulic and is very impressed with the result. I believe his system has an adjustable 'feel' device that allows him to get the desired settings. Details are in his post.
Hugh, you must feel like a rat running around flicking dopamine switches right now. Enjoy getting to know Wayfinder before and after launch!
Thanks, Monte!

I'll check out that thread. And on a FP 57 I spent time on this year, we could put the autopilot into standby mode and quickly see if we were rounding up or falling off and trim accordingly. I've had hydraulic steering fail catastrophically while underway on a powerboat (hose blew in a very difficult to reach spot, below the flooring in the garage). It was a 100' Azimut, and we had charter guests onboard. Was blowing a gale. We were just leaving the Exumas for Nassau in the wee hours (guests sleeping). The repair took half an hour at anchor, and we were on our way again (bit of cut rubber hose clamped around the rupture and some oil back in the system).

I'd hate to lose any kind of steering system underway. Not sure how some systems are inerently easier to fix than others. Depends on how they break. Losing a pulley or cable wouldn't be fun either.

Like pretty much every cat, I have access to the top of the rudder posts and emergency tillers. Worst case scenario is I have that lashed to the rails and trim until we're holding course with minimal steering. Won't be fun, but there's risk in any system. If someone was truly terrified, they could install a second pump and set of lines and carry enough fluid (or have the second system piped with bypass valves).
Old 28-08-2015, 04:32   #398
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Hugh. Greatly enjoy your postings and the many interesting observations that arise as a result - some good food for thought. I notice in one of your video's that you briefly show a tool storage area and a vice facility. However, what are you proposing to start off with in the way of spare parts and tools? I know its a potentially thorny question......
The reason for asking is that we have spent quite some tome reviewing our on-board tools and spare parts and it is so difficult to off-load those that see very little use as you just know that you'll need them if you do! We have just sold our welding set as we have not used it once in the twelve years we have owned it having originally thought it would be used regularly. Also, typically, we have never seen another boat with a rigging tension meter on board and ours is in constant demand. We check our rigging on a regular basis using this. I would hazard that others reading this shall have a single tool on board that is in simiar demand? Is your philiosophy to go to the nearest port for repairs or to undertake everything possible yourself?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 05:43   #399
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Spares on Board

One of the handiest 'spares' I ever had on a vessel was a box of all types and misc sizes of fasteners,....ss screws, bolts, hose clamps, shackles, seizing wire, etc.

You just can never tell where or when you may need to 'jury-rig' something while out at sea. For that matter it might save you a few time-consuming trips to a hardware store while you are working on the vessel in port.

...just plain handy

(my first box was obtained at a marine store that was going out of business,...great purchase)
Old 28-08-2015, 06:11   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Hugh. Greatly enjoy your postings and the many interesting observations that arise as a result - some good food for thought. I notice in one of your video's that you briefly show a tool storage area and a vice facility. However, what are you proposing to start off with in the way of spare parts and tools? I know its a potentially thorny question......
The reason for asking is that we have spent quite some tome reviewing our on-board tools and spare parts and it is so difficult to off-load those that see very little use as you just know that you'll need them if you do! We have just sold our welding set as we have not used it once in the twelve years we have owned it having originally thought it would be used regularly. Also, typically, we have never seen another boat with a rigging tension meter on board and ours is in constant demand. We check our rigging on a regular basis using this. I would hazard that others reading this shall have a single tool on board that is in simiar demand? Is your philiosophy to go to the nearest port for repairs or to undertake everything possible yourself?
I love this idea. Feels like we should have a thread here on CF devoted to just this.

I tend to carry fewer tools than most. No matter how much you carry, you never have what you need. But you have what someone else needs, and they have what you need. An electrical kit, basic tools, spares, hacksaw, power drill, great bit set, some JB weld, caulk and gun, SS collection (like poster above mentioned), soldering iron, rasps, chisels, stuff like that.
Old 28-08-2015, 06:30   #401
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Yup, I'm always on the lookout for the unusual tool that shall see use at least twice a year and is otherwise indispensible. I think we all carry the usual sockets, spanners, drivers etc and after over 20 years living aboard I think we have everything that we need, at least until the next crisis, and then when we'll buy that. As a tool lover I'm always interested to read what other rarity is carried by another cruiser and is possibly lent out all over the anchorage once others know about it. On a brand new yacht it shall be good to read, over the next few months, about what you discover regarding on board maintenance etc? I recently finally succumbed and bought a decent DC clamp meter.........
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:37   #402

There are so many exciting upgrades on the St. Francis 50 Mark II that I often forget the change that made me hold out on this hull to begin with.

I was sitting on hull #17, I believe, at the Annapolis show a year ago, and I was thinking about putting a deposit down on the next hull. That's when I found out that hull #18 would be the last with the old window configuration. Starting with hull #19, the windows on the St. Francis were going to get expanded by quite a bit. This would mean more light in the saloon, more visibility out, and a view of the water from the galley. It was a big change, and one that had me hold off to get the first with the modifications.

Part of the change was to also paint the pillars between the windows, to give the glass a wraparound effect. Well, they sprayed the pillars today, and it looks even better than the renders. I mean, it looks like a different boat completely. Before, you had four pieces of glass on the bimini, and then four separate pieces of glass on the saloon forward, and then the two side windows. Now the saloon glass forward butts together, creating a solid sheet. The side windows got a LOT bigger, and the black pillars pull it all together. Check it out:

All four of those bimini windows open up as well, so the ventilation in the cockpit can be amazing, or you can be shut off against the elements. We're about a week from launch, and I'm telling you, this boat is looking unreal. Duncan's wife came through the boat today and said it was the best one they've built. Everyone is saying that. But I know the next hull will be even better.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:39   #403
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Looks great Hugh.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:20   #404

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Really great Hugh.

The fully protected helm station on a cruising vessel rather than a charter vessel is telling. One of the best features.

One of the good points 1st developed on the Antares, subsequently St Francis and thesdays on the Freeflow 46. Seems others also are following.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:46   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Really great Hugh.

The fully protected helm station on a cruising vessel rather than a charter vessel is telling. One of the best features.

One of the good points 1st developed on the Antares, subsequently St Francis and thesdays on the Freeflow 46. Seems others also are following.
Totally. It was sitting at the helm of the previous boat, making way under sail, that I texted George at St. Francis Marine and told him hull #19 was no longer for sale.

What's great is being able to lean forward, open up the windows ahead of you, and feel connected to the elements if you want. And to be able to look up through the hatch above and see the sails.

When I wanted to be in the elements, I sat at the seat on the aft rail and put my feet on the pillar that supports the bimini and main track. Super comfortable, and you can see all the sails and reach the winch buttons in a jiffy.

I much prefer being able to choose when I'm out in the elements and have the default be to be buttoned up.