Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2007, 00:18   #1

So how much does it really cost?

So I was toying with the idea of getting a cat probably used, but only lightly as in the 5-10year range. The upfront cost is managable, but as I will be working for a while yet, I would have to keep it in a marina much of the time. In terms of costs, taxes, maintenence, storage, fees. How much would I be looking at to maintain a 45-50 foot cat in the pacific northwest?
JaredPWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 06:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How much would I be looking at to maintain a 45-50 foot cat in the pacific northwest?
A lot. It would really come down to if you could get use out of it until your 5 to 10 years future. Maintaining a boat is pretty much a by the foot formula. Slip fees, insurance, regular maintenance are fees that never stop. A used boat already has items from day one those don't improve with age and can lead to more problems. If you really don't have the ability to use it much over 5 years I would suggest you put the money in a safe investment. You'll be spending between $5K and $10K per year to park a boat. The maintenance is almost the same as using it all the time. Marina fees vary a lot too.

If the picture were more like 2 years then I would say do it and spend the time getting the used boat refit to your specs and learn more about sailing it so when you do leave you know the boat and all the systems quite well. Owning a boat you hardly use is cruel and unusual punishment on your mind and bank account.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 06:39   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome to the forum, Jared --

Paul has given you the overall picture. Remember that saying about boats being holes in the water into which you throw money? Well, it remains true whether the boat is moving, or not. In fact, for some things, "not moving" is far worse (and, therefore, more expensive) than "moving".

Some people put their boats into charter operations not just to help with the expense, but also have the boat being used and maintained. The trick is finding a good operation that will treat your boat well and be financially acceptable. They do exist, though, and there are several in the PacNW that I would be happy to recommend, if you want.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 09:51   #4

For some ballpark numbers, for a 43' bow-to-stern monohull, here in San Diego, our fixed monthly costs:

- $900 / slip
- $200 / liveaboard fee
- $40 / power (electric heater when at the dock, goes to about $8 in the summer)
- $75 / marina storage locker fee (we have a 6' x 6' x 15' storage locker at the marina).
- $40 / diving + zincs

In all, it costs me around $1,500 / month, including some basic maintenance items, but excluding major project items. I'm on a 36 foot boat, but any place that charges you by the foot will normally drag ruler from bow to stern, so things like a bowsprit and stern pulpit nail us with another 7 feet.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:28   #5

Thanks for the feedback

I figured it would be something like that, I'll probably wait for now. That 5-10k a year is on top of the 10-20k a year one would lose from not investing the capital. I'll probably stick to chartering for now.

Thanks
Jared
JaredPWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:48   #6

Owning a boat is a pretty silly investment if you're looking for a return. Basically all of my other money goes towards "investments", which allow me to pay for the boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 15:52   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Chartering for one week costs about 10k from what I can tell by adding up flights, food, and all the fees and insurance etc.

Am I wrong?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 16:34   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Family of four not chartering in the peak season and taking an extra week of vacation cost us (including airfare) $4700. Two years ago. We went with smaller outfits. Moorings in Mexico would have cost ust the same amount for 5 days. Get recomondations before trying the little ma and Pa places though. Some can be horrible.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 17:58   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Get recomondations before trying the little ma and Pa places though. Some can be horrible.
So I have heard.

How to do just that?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 16:03   #10

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay
Re: So how much does it really cost?

My rule of thumb, which has been proved time and time again ... annual maintenance and operating costs will run between 6-8% of the replacement cost of the boat at current new pricing. Catastrophic problems ... lightening strike, underwater hazard collision, knock down etc. anyone's guess ... but a lot!
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 05:59   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There are a wide range of marina costs. Near Seattle or enclaves like Gig Harbor are pricey. Bremerton, Port Orchard and maybe Olympia will be cheaper. My tri had a 24' beam and was $277 in Port Orchard. It was $1000 in Gig Harbor. I live in Gig but kept the boat in PO.
Old 25-07-2020, 15:06   #12

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There are a wide range of marina costs. Near Seattle or enclaves like Gig Harbor are pricey. Bremerton, Port Orchard and maybe Olympia will be cheaper. My tri had a 24' beam and was $277 in Port Orchard. It was $1000 in Gig Harbor. I live in Gig but kept the boat in PO.
Best post of the thread. Marina cost often varies more than this. Same goes for lots of other expenses. It takes lots of footwork to find not just boats but where to keep them and how to fix them if you are looking for the best deals.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote