Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 18:34   #46

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Scarlet's Annapolis Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichinBoca View Post
Scarlett .... Thanks for the great review! You aimed thing up very nicely. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the Antares if you wouldn't mind.

Rich
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hi Rich..
I just really liked the Antares. I though the quality was excellent. the wood work was beautiful.. the design was really great. I loved the galley down. I felt that the use of space was incredible. I know this isn't very "sailor like".. but it felt like a home. And for a future live-a-board.. I liked that. I'm going to make my boat my home.. so it was important to me.

I also think the outdoor space was very well designed. I truly believe that this boat was designed to be a live-aboard.. and in contrast to the Balance 451.. they threw a LOT of quality work, and attention to detail into this Catamaran.

I'm sorry, but I am not experienced enough (yet) to comment on the sail plan.. or elecronics.. etc..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 18:47   #47

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I wanted to address the issues of living lean vs. having "all comforts".. I'd just like to say.. that I always really think those people who can live lean are incredible! such freespirits and adventurers.. incredible people to do that.

But, when it comes to my living aboard in retirement? My husband and I have worked since we were teens... often times more than one job at a time. We've scrimped and saved, and lived way beneath our means so that we could have a wonderful future. I don't need a hair drier, or a toaster.. or even a microwave.. but, I'm not going to be ashamed about wanting the convenience of having a washing machine so I don't have to tote my skivies in a dingy to a laundermat.

Ok.. carry on!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 18:49   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

5. The second boat I was dying to see, as many of you know.. is the Balance 451... There really are not enough words to describe how disappointed I was in that boat. I was standing in the port hull, and within my limited view there were 5 different kind of (mismatched) woods. It looked like they grabbed whatever was laying around the garage and used it in the boat. I looked at the plumbing and the caulk around the toilet looked like a 3 year old put it on.. and I could literally wiggle the toilet free of the hull... The boat was scuffed and dirty. very poor quality build. It looks like they threw it together with bits and pieces just to get it to the show. Phil Berman was actually there. I introduced myself to him, and talked with him a bit.. and then listened to him to talk to other people as I was exploring the cat... and I heard him say a half dozen times.. "we used that material because it was cheaper... we did it that way.. because it was cheaper.. we didn't do that, because it was cheaper".. Get my drift? I'm sorry, Phil.. but you boat was a piece of crap! blech!! (this is my opinion only and does not reflect the opinion of anyone but myself... oh, and I apologize for my candor.. I tend to say exactly what I think.. )
I had the same feeling when I checked out the boat in Fort Lauderdale when it arrived. Cheap finish, and poorly mismatched...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 19:03   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I wanted to address the issues of living lean vs. having "all comforts".. I'd just like to say.. that I always really think those people who can live lean are incredible! such freespirits and adventurers.. incredible people to do that.

But, when it comes to my living aboard in retirement? My husband and I have worked since we were teens... often times more than one job at a time. We've scrimped and saved, and lived way beneath our means so that we could have a wonderful future. I don't need a hair drier, or a toaster.. or even a microwave.. but, I'm not going to be ashamed about wanting the convenience of having a washing machine so I don't have to tote my skivies in a dingy to a laundermat.

Ok.. carry on!

Scarlet, that's great. As I said I offered a different perspective. If your husband is mechanically inclined and doesn't mind a lot of maintenance, that works for you. Also if you have the $ to pay someone to do the maintenance, that works for you as well. Remember, to run that washer dryer you are not only putting hours on the washer dryer but also the generator, hot water heater and water maker. It can ad up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 19:40   #50

Thank you Scarlett👍

Rich
RichinBoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 20:02   #51

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Remember, to run that washer dryer you are not only putting hours on the washer dryer but also the generator, hot water heater and water maker. It can ad up!
Wifey B: I admit to being spoiled. Wasn't as a kid. In fact, the opposite. We're worked for luxuries. But then some of the things I don't consider luxury. I read with horror (slight exaggeration but still.....omg can't imagine) about wearing clothes over and over and over and over between washing and about minimizing bathing. Cold water showers. Perhaps my hubby might need one...hehe. No, seriously. No air conditioning. No heat.

For those who can do it and enjoy it without the things I consider necessities but they consider luxuries, then more power to them. Just not for me. I'm going to bathe at least once a day. I'm going to do it in hot water. I'm going to put on clean clothes each day. And I'm going to sleep in moderate temperature. I mean I'm an old woman of 35 and way too old to change now. lol.

Each person has to figure out what is important to them. It's really deciding what to you is a necessity vs. a luxury. Not for surviving, but for the quality of life you want. I admit to being pampered but not going to change and to say otherwise would be lying to myself. And that would lead to unhappy cruising if i proceeded under the delusion I would.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 20:16   #52
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I admit to being spoiled. Wasn't as a kid. In fact, the opposite. We're worked for luxuries. But then some of the things I don't consider luxury. I read with horror (slight exaggeration but still.....omg can't imagine) about wearing clothes over and over and over and over between washing and about minimizing bathing. Cold water showers. Perhaps my hubby might need one...hehe. No, seriously. No air conditioning. No heat.

For those who can do it and enjoy it without the things I consider necessities but they consider luxuries, then more power to them. Just not for me. I'm going to bathe at least once a day. I'm going to do it in hot water. I'm going to put on clean clothes each day. And I'm going to sleep in moderate temperature. I mean I'm an old woman of 35 and way too old to change now. lol.

Each person has to figure out what is important to them. It's really deciding what to you is a necessity vs. a luxury. Not for surviving, but for the quality of life you want. I admit to being pampered but not going to change and to say otherwise would be lying to myself. And that would lead to unhappy cruising if i proceeded under the delusion I would.

As I said, different perspective and neither way is right or wrong. Trust me, there have been many cruises ended because of the amount of unrealized maintenance and $'s spent. Then again many cruises have ended because spouses didn't realize the hardships they would endure. It's not all frozen margaritas and beautiful sunsets.

Old 14-10-2014, 21:58   #53

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Scarlett,

Just wanted to jump in and thank you for the feedback on the boats at the show.

So thanks muchly
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 23:27   #54

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
AHHH... perfect explaination. And yes.. I have to have a washing machine.. and I will probably need air conditioning..
Just those alone means you will really need a genset and you really need a vessel around 44-45 ft for that. Most 40ft cats would struggle with the weight. A genset will also run a scuba compressor if you are a diver.

Even with a genset you should fit as much solar as possible and there are plenty beign set up with over 1KW of solar.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 04:13   #55

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Scarlet, I assume you got the new price on the Antares which is $968,000. They only come loaded but there are still a few options you can add. Used ones go for around $700,00. The older 42' models are about $450K. This business model is working very well because they are booked up until the fall of 2017.
You should check out the Manta 42. It has everything you want including vinylester construction which means virtually NO blisters or osmosis. The company collapsed after the death of the owner but these boats have still have a great rep. The other great design is a Maine Cat 41 which is also vinyl. Both are really well thought out cats and very well equipped and they both have self tacking jibs on travelers and that makes sailing just too easy. The Maine Cat 41s totally enclosed cockpit is so cool and is the only design like this.
The quality and superb construction of these 2 cats are so far beyond just about any other production cat built today.
Old 15-10-2014, 04:37   #56
smj

Looks like hull #1 of the Antares 42 is for sale at a good price. We walked by the boat a few months ago and it appeared well kept.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002...w#.VD5cHWK9KSO

Old 15-10-2014, 06:37   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Until you have tried something, how can you possibly know what you have to have?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:39   #58

I have heard that Gemini might be bringing back the Manta 42. Anyone else hear this?

OneEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:18   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

After cruising 2 yrs on a 36ft boat with a 5 gallon bucket as a washing machine and then 2 yrs with a 50ft boat with a washing machine what did I learn? We had just as much fun on both and the majority of the worrying people do about finding the right boat is total BS. There is no such thing except going...well at least if it has a water maker....smile.

As a vendor at the show I spoke to hundreds of people with hundreds of different opinions of what they had to have...all right for them, even if some of the people were crazy...you get them at every show, and they fun to listen to also.

We ended up selling 16 water makers at the show (a new Annapolis Record) and the boats they were going on ranged in size and type from a home built trimaran, a 50ft cat to the brand new Tartan 47. What I like to see is different peoples opinion of what makes a good boat for them and it's taught me a lot about the diversity in the cruising fleet. Sure we sold 7 water makers to big cat owners but the other 9 went to Mono's, some new like the Tartan 47 but most to classic plastic boats that get panned over these days in the flash and glitter of the boat show lights.

Next up the power boat show and an entirely different crowd!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:21   #60
smj

Congratulations on a good show! When we decide to finally break down and get a watermaker yours will be on the top of our list.

Tags
annapolis