Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 10:09   #76

Re: Sailing newbie, insane fears and storage concerns

As probably already mentioned head up to Lanier Islands and check out Lanier Sailing Academy. They are ASA certified and offer several sailing courses in boats ranging from 22 - 36ft. They are ASA certified and I believe that they do allow students to take out some of their boats to gain additional expertise once you have completed one of their courses. Conditions on the lake normally are mild, but can become rougher when fronts come through especially during winter and early spring. Once you get some of the basics head down to Savannah or St Simons for additional sailing experience.

Regards
JW53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50   #77

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I never said cats never fly a hull but it would be extremely rare for that to happen. The wording "fairly common" is way out of line unless you are talking beach cats. Do you have any pictures of the cats flying a hull?
I serous doubt cruising cats fly a hull often. I have with tris. taking an ama up a couple of feet. The geometry is better on a tri but is still uncomfortable. I don't need to get there that fast to risk a gust getting under the wing deck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:31   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I didn't take pics for several reasons. First of all, I didn't think it was particularly noteworthy. As hard as it was blowing, I was not surprised to see cats on a reach heeling enough to lift the windward hull.
On a REACH? How hard was it blowing? I've seen over 30 knots (recorded 38 kts max) TWS on a close reach under full sail and never even looked like lifting a hull. And this is a pretty performance oriented cruising boat.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 19:29   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
ouch! sorry. Knowing you are the wife, I'll double down on the idea that women should generally be taught to sail by women, with only women, and without men getting in the way. Men, you see, can't help themselves. They keep butting in trying to "help" and they generally interfere with a woman's learning. The goal should be to have a team of equally skilled sailors, and if one is a man and the other is a woman, that is more likely to happen if they learn the basics separately at first.
May you enjoy your sailing adventures as much as my wife and I have done. Add to your skills and experience in small, safe increments. That is the key. One of you will turn out better at sail trim and one will be better at diesel maintenance, and that is part of the adventure.

Don't be sorry! I can hold my own with a male instructor and sailmates (instead of classmates). TBH, having a female instructor would grate on my nerves. While I am a bit of a rambler, I prefer direct and to the point instruction. I used to be a boxing coach and I was known for making men want to cry in an hour. My ab exercises were brutal!

I've been watching Distant Shores while I wait for the water to return to the lake by my house (it will be a bit). While watching that show does not make me feel that I can raise a sail, I know how to open an unmanned lock in Scotland! lol! That show has made me feel more confident when I am able to take lessons. Especially with terminology.
Eggbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 19:56   #80

Quote:
As you can see there are a lot of ways to get your hand in the game. My first sailboat I built as a kid, from mostly construction and renovation "scraps". Taught myself to sail it. A good capsize is an effective lesson, yeah. Dinghies will do that for you. Instant feedback/punishment for mistakes, but no harm done. In many ways, most day sailers are just overgrown dinghies. Good teachers, minimal commitment, lots of fun. At any rate, you ought consider a trailer sailed of some sort for your first boat, whether it is actually sail, or power. Much cheaper to keeper in the driveway, and maintenance is easier. There are an awful lot of trailer queens that you can set up for multi day outings and get sort of a big boat feel. A more salty first boat such as a Catalina or cal or whatever will need a slip in a marina, and you will maybe not get your moneys worth out of it if you are so far inland. The sail school and charter route can make that stage of your learning journey more practical. Low commitment and no recurring costs.

I am not a fan of cats at all, but they do have a lot of space, so you could easily dedicate space for hobbies. Cruising cats have very conservative rigs and so capsizes are rare. Sure, it only takes one, but it only takes one lightning strike to kill you, too. So, be aware, but not obsessed, with the danger of a cat flipping, and make your decision based on your needs and requirements.

Yes it is fairly common for a cat to fly one hull, but that depends on the skipper, who can pay out or reduce sail, or round up into the wind at will. And flying a hull is not a harbinger of immediate capsize. As the boat heels, the sails catch and hold less wind. The flying hull is all weight, and wants to return to the water. The other hull is pressed down and wants to float higher. The whole boat seeks equilibrium and is very much self correcting except in extreme conditions

A typical 30 foot or so monohull is easier and cheaper to find a slip for, though. Most are pretty safe in most weather conditions. I suggest chartering one of each just to get some hands on, before deciding which way to go.

A power boat does cost more to operate, but you get a lot of flexibility and most of the comforts of home. If you don't expect to b
Ever be making long sea voyages, a small trawler or tug type boat might be just the thing. I won't start on single vs multi screw... You could write a book on that subject.

If you want a lot of space and just want to be on the water, with no serious cruising, a houseboat might suit you.

Is a sailing school necessary? No, but it is a very good way to learn, and certification opens up the opportunity to charter a boat. Is starting with a dinghy really neccesary? No, but it is cheap, fun, and teaches you a lot about how sailboats work.

My recommendation is to not fall in love with the idea until you have had some hands on, and don't fall in love with a boat or a type of boat prematurely.
Thank you for the advice! Definitely keeping my options open. I have a short list of boats that I am impressed with so far. The 4 that top the list are the Leopard 40 and the 45 for a cat and the Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 and the 38.1 for the mono.

Will I be as impressed when the time comes to buy the "retirement" boat? I'm not sure, they are very pretty and those two cats are very spacious (in pictures). I've decided that there will be a smaller, cheaper boat in my future first once I learn.

If I hate sailing, I'll be in the land of all power

On a different note, I disagree slightly with the pink bolded above...

I was struck by lightning on July 31st Still kicking! I have 6 or so lives left in me haha!!

I am dead serious. I've got the hospital bills to prove it. It was an indirect strike, but enough to make me forget just about a full 48 hrs and it was a spotty week! Couldn't type or spell to save my life and lost all feeling on the right side of my body. Still have quite a bit of numbness in my right hand from it.
Old 01-01-2017, 20:41   #81

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

It's not just the act of sailing that some folks don't care for. The blazing fast 3-4 mph takes a bit of a tortoise attitude.
Old 01-01-2017, 20:48   #82

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbah View Post

I was struck by lightning on July 31st Still kicking! I have 6 or so lives left in me haha!!

I am dead serious. I've got the hospital bills to prove it. It was an indirect strike, but enough to make me forget just about a full 48 hrs and it was a spotty week! Couldn't type or spell to save my life and lost all feeling on the right side of my body. Still have quite a bit of numbness in my right hand from it.
When I get home I want you to pick my powerball numbers.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 21:06   #83

Quote:
When I get home I want you to pick my powerball numbers.
Hahaha!!
Old 01-01-2017, 22:11   #84

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Eggbah,

I'm just an old cruising gal. All of our cruising has been done in monohulls. While capsizing can happen, it is rare. (In over 30 yrs. of cruising, 27 of them full time) we have never come even close. Certainly a mono can capsize and sink, but it is uncommon; and I'm pretty sure cruising catamarans very, very rarely fly a hull. So, not to worry.

However, if you are not a swimmer, I would suggest you learn. It is not that the skill will save your life sometime (though it could), it is that it will make you feel more comfortable with the environment. Learning to sail in small dinghies means learning to right them when they capsize, and that would, I think, help you with your monohull capsize ideation.

Room to sew? probably best with a cat. Although I have done almost all my own canvas work on our 36 footer and on this boat, so it can be managed on a mono. Just my nsho, but I do not think the cats are well suited to high latitude sailing.

Read whatever you can find written by Beth Leonard, she knows heaps, and so does her husband, Evans Starzinger. Since you're the techie in your family, read what he's written, too. Highly recommended. If you love fixing stuff, you'll love owning a boat!

Definitely involve the 10 yr. old: he should have a super time, and it's not electronic!

Ann
Old 01-01-2017, 22:17   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbah View Post
The 4 that top the list are the Leopard 40 and the 45 for a cat and the Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 and the 38.1 for the mono.
I'd suggest you should be looking at much bigger mono's if you want to compare apples with apples.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 22:20   #86

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

It has been interesting to watch your apparent gain in confidence since your original post, Eggbah. It's been a bit like watching ones daughter growing up. Good for you! It leaves me with no doubt you'll do what's right for you. If you have other questions, either now or in the future, don't hesitate to ask this forum. There's a lot of savvy in this group.
varkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 22:33   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Eggbah,

I'm just an old cruising gal. All of our cruising has been done in monohulls. While capsizing can happen, it is rare. (In over 30 yrs. of cruising, 27 of them full time) we have never come even close. Certainly a mono can capsize and sink, but it is uncommon; and I'm pretty sure cruising catamarans very, very rarely fly a hull. So, not to worry.

However, if you are not a swimmer, I would suggest you learn. It is not that the skill will save your life sometime (though it could), it is that it will make you feel more comfortable with the environment. Learning to sail in small dinghies means learning to right them when they capsize, and that would, I think, help you with your monohull capsize ideation.

Room to sew? probably best with a cat. Although I have done almost all my own canvas work on our 36 footer and on this boat, so it can be managed on a mono. Just my nsho, but I do not think the cats are well suited to high latitude sailing.

Read whatever you can find written by Beth Leonard, she knows heaps, and so does her husband, Evans Starzinger. Since you're the techie in your family, read what he's written, too. Highly recommended. If you love fixing stuff, you'll love owning a boat!

Definitely involve the 10 yr. old: he should have a super time, and it's not electronic!

Ann
My son is a techie as well. He knows way too much for his own good! What 10 yr old asks for another soldering iron for Christmas? My kid! He recieved his first last year.

Luckily, we can all swim very well.

I really hope my uncle purchases the mono sooner than later so I can get a feel for how they handle in the water.

Thank you for all of your advice!
Old 01-01-2017, 22:42   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkpilot View Post
It has been interesting to watch your apparent gain in confidence since your original post, Eggbah. It's been a bit like watching ones daughter growing up. Good for you! It leaves me with no doubt you'll do what's right for you. If you have other questions, either now or in the future, don't hesitate to ask this forum. There's a lot of savvy in this group.
Thank you In just a matter of days, too! I'm very surprised how my comfort level has increased as well. Watching a mono lean would turn my stomach. Today, not so much. I've received some wonderful advice thus far and not one bit of sugarcoated mumbo jumbo.

Lots of fears have been put to rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd suggest you should be looking at much bigger mono's if you want to compare apples with apples.
I think you're right!
Old 02-01-2017, 23:26   #89
Marine Service Provider

Are you looking for a sailing cat or a power cat? They make both. You weren't clear on that. Why take sailing lessons is you are really interested in a power boat. Regardless, go to a few boat shows and look at all kinds before committing yourself to a course of action. And, yes you can usually store stuff under the beds of most cats.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:06   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Are you looking for a sailing cat or a power cat? They make both. You weren't clear on that. Why take sailing lessons is you are really interested in a power boat. Regardless, go to a few boat shows and look at all kinds before committing yourself to a course of action. And, yes you can usually store stuff under the beds of most cats.
I was considering both, but my gut is telling me that sail is the way to go. Power is still a contender, especially if I suck at sailing and cannot get the hang of it.

Tags
sail, sailing, storage