Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 14:10   #61

Re: Sailing newbie, insane fears and storage concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbah View Post
My heart belongs on the water. Land is for those afraid to take a risk. I'm just stuck here on land for now in total misery. I'm leaning towards a monohull.
Please please please actually sail on a boat before deciding your heart belongs on the water. Your initial post about Berling Strait being a locale you'll even consider sailing + phobia is just so disconnected from reality you ought to just try it before spending time researching boats.
Old 30-12-2016, 14:18   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
"I'm leaning towards a monohull" :-) for some reason that's funny!
pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
They're certainly cheaper.
Not the one I found :/ blasted million dollar boats. Guess that's what I get for dusting off my old Cruising magazines full of very pricey boats!

But you are right, they are cheaper. They are all expensive in the end though...
Eggbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 14:31   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Please please please actually sail on a boat before deciding your heart belongs on the water. Your initial post about Berling Strait being a locale you'll even consider sailing + phobia is just so disconnected from reality you ought to just try it before spending time researching boats.
I've been this way for as long as I can remember. It's in my blood. It's funny, when I was a kid, I'd sit in my raft in the pool when everyone else was swimming, jumping, diving, etc letting the little waves rock the raft or I'd take my little boat (tiny fiberglass thing) up to the lake for hours. Sailing may not be, but owning a boat is going to happen one way or another. It would have happened much earlier if the market didn't crash when it did.

Yes, I am aware of the difference between a raft and a jon boat on a lake or in a pool vs the ocean. I've always been the passenger (except a few times I was allowed to operate the boats), I've just never been on a traditional sailboat that was in the water. On land, yes (I don't really remember it though), water, no.

Heart will never leave the water. Might as well tell the guy driving the family minivan that he'll never have a sports car once the kids are out of the house
Old 30-12-2016, 15:01   #64

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbah View Post
The multi will have all of light and sights, but the mono will give me the ability to go anywhere I want to go.
Maybe a pilothouse boat with 360° views. Check mine and few others.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 15:15   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Maybe a pilothouse boat with 360° views. Check mine and few others.
Now THAT is awesome! I like that a lot! I'm on their site right now.
Old 31-12-2016, 05:23   #66

Boat: Hunter 45 cc

I have one similar question about storage, how to find good place for storage in Florida ? I will move my sailboat from Annapolis and can't find something similar in Florida west coast (west palm beach area) . Found Indian Marina, good location, good storage price, they have service what I need, bottom paint and etc, but low bridge on the way. Where to find good yacht marinas in Cape Canaveral area and West Paim beach ?
TickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:25   #67

Boat: wharram tiki 26

So let me list the fears i have faced recently,some known,some unknown.Bear in mind I have basically taught myself and read heaps and asked questions. So far this has happened in a short but steep learning curve.

1. I have been dismasted 300m off the coast.
2. I have lost power from the motor entering the harbour that has a narrow rock lined entrance.
3. First unintentional night entrance to a harbour,lining up the lead in lights etc.
4. Have ended up on some oyster encrusted rocks yesterday, trying to maneuver the boat under sail only. Martin and 44C. where there to witness the error of my ways.
5. The mast has dropped whilst i was attempting to take it down.
6. I have lost crap overboard because of my tardiness when it comes to tidy decks.
7. All of this has been done solo.

That so far are the calamities I have faced. I have felt like a total incompetent and an ass at times. But you know what? I know I love doing this thing called ''messing around on boats'' if the equivalent setbacks had befallen me on land,who knows if i would have been so magnanimous?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:51   #68

Boat: PDQ 44i

ouch! sorry. Knowing you are the wife, I'll double down on the idea that women should generally be taught to sail by women, with only women, and without men getting in the way. Men, you see, can't help themselves. They keep butting in trying to "help" and they generally interfere with a woman's learning. The goal should be to have a team of equally skilled sailors, and if one is a man and the other is a woman, that is more likely to happen if they learn the basics separately at first.
May you enjoy your sailing adventures as much as my wife and I have done. Add to your skills and experience in small, safe increments. That is the key. One of you will turn out better at sail trim and one will be better at diesel maintenance, and that is part of the adventure.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:20   #69

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

As you can see there are a lot of ways to get your hand in the game. My first sailboat I built as a kid, from mostly construction and renovation "scraps". Taught myself to sail it. A good capsize is an effective lesson, yeah. Dinghies will do that for you. Instant feedback/punishment for mistakes, but no harm done. In many ways, most day sailers are just overgrown dinghies. Good teachers, minimal commitment, lots of fun. At any rate, you ought consider a trailer sailed of some sort for your first boat, whether it is actually sail, or power. Much cheaper to keeper in the driveway, and maintenance is easier. There are an awful lot of trailer queens that you can set up for multi day outings and get sort of a big boat feel. A more salty first boat such as a Catalina or cal or whatever will need a slip in a marina, and you will maybe not get your moneys worth out of it if you are so far inland. The sail school and charter route can make that stage of your learning journey more practical. Low commitment and no recurring costs.

I am not a fan of cats at all, but they do have a lot of space, so you could easily dedicate space for hobbies. Cruising cats have very conservative rigs and so capsizes are rare. Sure, it only takes one, but it only takes one lightning strike to kill you, too. So, be aware, but not obsessed, with the danger of a cat flipping, and make your decision based on your needs and requirements.

Yes it is fairly common for a cat to fly one hull, but that depends on the skipper, who can pay out or reduce sail, or round up into the wind at will. And flying a hull is not a harbinger of immediate capsize. As the boat heels, the sails catch and hold less wind. The flying hull is all weight, and wants to return to the water. The other hull is pressed down and wants to float higher. The whole boat seeks equilibrium and is very much self correcting except in extreme conditions

A typical 30 foot or so monohull is easier and cheaper to find a slip for, though. Most are pretty safe in most weather conditions. I suggest chartering one of each just to get some hands on, before deciding which way to go.

A power boat does cost more to operate, but you get a lot of flexibility and most of the comforts of home. If you don't expect to b
Ever be making long sea voyages, a small trawler or tug type boat might be just the thing. I won't start on single vs multi screw... You could write a book on that subject.

If you want a lot of space and just want to be on the water, with no serious cruising, a houseboat might suit you.

Is a sailing school necessary? No, but it is a very good way to learn, and certification opens up the opportunity to charter a boat. Is starting with a dinghy really neccesary? No, but it is cheap, fun, and teaches you a lot about how sailboats work.

My recommendation is to not fall in love with the idea until you have had some hands on, and don't fall in love with a boat or a type of boat prematurely.
Old 31-12-2016, 18:27   #70

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
SNIP

Yes it is fairly common for a cat to fly one hull,

SNIP

:n onono::non ono::nonon o:
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:48   #71
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
:n onono::non ono::nonon o:

Gotta agree with you Tom, this guy is clueless when it comes to catamarans. No wonder he's not a big fan.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 20:02   #72

Yes, I am indeed clueless about cats. Relatively speaking, anyway. But if you are saying cats never fly a hull, that is very strange, cause I watched two medium sized cats here in Durban doing exactly that, just a couple of days ago, out on the bay. No, not beach cats or purpose built racers, either.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:31   #73
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Yes, I am indeed clueless about cats. Relatively speaking, anyway. But if you are saying cats never fly a hull, that is very strange, cause I watched two medium sized cats here in Durban doing exactly that, just a couple of days ago, out on the bay. No, not beach cats or purpose built racers, either.

I never said cats never fly a hull but it would be extremely rare for that to happen. The wording "fairly common" is way out of line unless you are talking beach cats. Do you have any pictures of the cats flying a hull?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:51   #74

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

No. It is not common for a cruising catamaran to fly a hull. It is hard to do it and it is dangerous. So people try not to, which isnt very hard because they arent designed to do that. While I sail a monohull, I have been up and down the Caribbean chain several times and have seen many cruising cats along the way. Not once was one flying a hull. Not ever.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I never said cats never fly a hull but it would be extremely rare for that to happen. The wording "fairly common" is way out of line unless you are talking beach cats. Do you have any pictures of the cats flying a hull?
I didn't take pics for several reasons. First of all, I didn't think it was particularly noteworthy. As hard as it was blowing, I was not surprised to see cats on a reach heeling enough to lift the windward hull. Secondly, they were not close enough for dramatic shots especially with only a phone for a. Camera. Thirdly to zoom in would have made my big ol note 3 pretty shaky out in the wind. Fourth I was on their Lee side and any pic clearly showing a hull up would have to have been a shot from bow or quarter, not abeam. Fifth oh hell with it. Just to make you happy and because "fairly common" is a subjective term, I hereby amend may remark to say "not unheard of". I refuse to get all emotional on a " cat vs mono" battle, which was never my intention. Satisfied?
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, storage