Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 02:49   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Pre purchase inspection france

Here in Australia I charge $25 a foot for a survey. I surveyed a Lagoon 440F in Fiji and the cost was the same plus travel. For £1750 pounds you could fly me to France and get the boat surveyed. Surely they have put some “Tourist” tax on the quote?
I noticed the surveyor checks the rig, is that good enough for the insurance company or do they need a riggers certificate? Here in Australia they need a rigger to check the mast etc.
I am curious how the surveyor does hull moisture readings?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 17:49   #17

Hi guys.
Thanks for all your input and advise.
The reason the quote is in pounds sterling is that they are a Uk based company with an office in Cannes. I chose Uk based as I don’t speak a word of French.
I have researched the marine surveyors (sphere Dawn) and to the best of my knowledge they are highly respected naval architects.
Quote does not include haul out, I need to arrange that with the marina. I’m just finding the logistics quite difficult to arrange from Australia.
I will be flying to France hopefully at the end of the month for a sea trial and am trying to make it work that straight after sea trial I can get haul out and survey done the next day as I will only be there for three days.
I plan on replacing all the standing rigging for Australian insurance purposes.
John marven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 20:19   #18

Hi guys.
Thanks for your input
The marine surveyors are a Uk based company with an office in Cannes. I have tried to go with a Uk based company as I don’t speak a word of French.
The company that gave me the quote(sphere dawn) as far as I can see is a very reputable company.
The reason I posted in the first place was that in Australia a full survey is around $24 per foot x 44 ft just over $1000 Australian, around €600 or £540. The quote of £1750 does not include haul out, sea trial or travel expenses. That’s why I thought it to be high.
I have no problem paying for whatever needs to be done but I do expect value for money. I will be flying to France in the 1st week of November for sea trial and out of water survey. I have also allowed for replacement of all standing rigging.
Kind regards.
John.
Old 12-10-2019, 00:56   #19

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I wouldn't especially say that there is 'tourist tax' being added, more simply you are paying French Riviera prices, and even more so with a big reputable UK company.

Also there is no sense trying to use the exchange rate to convert prices and compare to somewhere else. It's a local price, as that is where the work will be done.

Beer is much cheaper where I am compared to Australia if you use an exchange rate conversion, but also the local salaries are a fraction of what they are in Australia too. It's all relative.

You may however look into other companies and surveyors in the South of France. And plenty of the French yachting companies in that part of the world speak English, at least enough to get an email conversation going to see if you feel any confidence with them.

Many of them also employ native English speakers too.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:47   #20

Thanks jmh200
I must admit they did make me feel confident when speaking to them on the phone.
It just sounded expensive but then I suppose it is Cannes.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:31   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Here in Australia I charge $25 a foot for a survey. I surveyed a Lagoon 440F in Fiji and the cost was the same plus travel. For £1750 pounds you could fly me to France and get the boat surveyed. Surely they have put some “Tourist” tax on the quote?
I noticed the surveyor checks the rig, is that good enough for the insurance company or do they need a riggers certificate? Here in Australia they need a rigger to check the mast etc.
I am curious how the surveyor does hull moisture readings?
Cheers
Interesting, so a 44ft mono costs the same as a 44ft cat?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 05:48   #22

Boat: Nautitech 46 FLY

I had my new Nautitech 46 FLY surveyed last year by a gentleman from Cannes. He did an excellent job. The survey took 3 days and cost around €3000 plus VAT. His name is Didier Tonellot from Expert Maritime - DEGOUSSY et TONELLOT - L'expertise maritime et transport à votre service. Not cheap but for me he was worth every penny.
Aloha-Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 06:15   #23

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I came across another thread here Looking for a relaible Cat surveyor around the area of Trieste/Italy - Cruisers & Sailing Forums with a link to a UK surveyor with good knowledge of multihulls.

They have a complete schedule of costs on their page:

https://www.yachtsurveys.co.uk/fees/
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
France, inspection, purchase