And, this is quite a mess here...
Let's be sure to compare apples with apples.
OP is looking to survey modern cat in France.
- next post from Santa Cruz
suggests it should cost 600 USD (currency is already wrong, and this seems like fantasy land...)
- OP then quotes a post in GBP so probably OP buyer is GBR and looking to buy in FRA
- NB: the world doesn't always revolve around the USA...
- Is this a local surveyor
or are you paying travel expenses too?
- Is the surveyor experienced (or perhaps even acknowledged as an expert) in this type of vessel?)
- sometimes a non qualified but highly experienced person may provide profoundly useful but unknown info
- did you already read every single
forum post regarding your proposed vessel? Even those in a foreign language?
Or, did your surveyor do all of this for you?
Be informed please. I would not come to survey your boat for 600 USD unless this was some type of friends and family
discount, or maybe just an "expert opinion" instead of a proper full survey.
OP, please educate yourself before committing yourself to anything.
And, PS: there are a few full time marine
surveyors on the forum here who even if they may be in another part of the world will probably be sufficiently professional to still offer a short list of their standard terms and rates.
Any professional business should be open and clear to do this. Serious professionals have nothing to hide.