Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2023, 07:12   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Older, Quality Cats

1968 cat. We popped 25 knots yesterday. Great on all points of sail. Can be a bit wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8763.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	278415  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:15   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

You might want to pick up one of Charles Kanter's books. Kanter is (was?) a surveyor and cruising sailor of cats who published several books in the early 2000's that discussed the pros and cons of various design choices and gave critiques and observations regarding a number of specific models from that era and before.

There are a number of boats from that era I would choose before some of the contemporary ones. They were more focused on the sailing experience and safety than on the living experience, nice though it might be while at anchor or on the dock.

Another good resource is Multihull Dynamics, which gives performance metrics from a large database of cats, including many older ones.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:18   #18

Boat: Privilege 37

Most people immediately think of the Prout Snowgoose when talking slow dragging cats
However, later Prouts were much better. The Prout Escale is well worth a look, although interior is rather dated. The Prout 45 was more up-class,
Broadblue 415 and 435 are also basically later Prouts. All built for ocean and bad weather.

Privilege 39, 37, 395, 41, etc Built solid not performance.
Old 21-07-2023, 07:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
You might want to pick up one of Charles Kanter's books. Kanter is (was?) a surveyor and cruising sailor of cats who published several books in the early 2000's that discussed the pros and cons of various design choices and gave critiques and observations regarding a number of specific models from that era and before.

There are a number of boats from that era I would choose before some of the contemporary ones. They were more focused on the sailing experience and safety than on the living experience, nice though it might be while at anchor or on the dock.

Another good resource is Multihull Dynamics, which gives performance metrics from a large database of cats, including many older ones.

ID
Great suggestion! Thank you!
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:42   #20

Boat: FP Astrea 42 (Nov 2021)

10,000 nm in the last year and half on my brand new Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42 and the only warranty claim so far is with an air con…
I’ve sailed the Bay of Biscayne, the Med, crossed the Atlantic and sailed from Martinique to Boston and the boat has been a beast!
Who said the FP, where not built well?????
MartyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:45   #21

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

Manta 42! We had a Manta 40 from 2009 to 2015 and and made two trips to Caribbean and went all the way to Trinidad. We bought a 42 earlier this year. Not only a great boat, but an owner's group that gives great advice on upgrades and repairs. You have to be a past/current Manta owner to join the Manta@Groups.io site. There is also a Facebook Manta owners social group. They even have gatherings at different places like Annapolis and Lorraine's (Black Point, Exhumas, The Bahamas).
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 08:28   #22

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

PRIVILEGE 435 designed in 1996
A beautiful cat with good performance and superb joinery.
But many mistakes were made by the designer which had limited experience of Cat layout and accomodation at the time.

On my P435 built in 1999, I had to buil a rigid bimini, a proper freezer, raised the guardrails 1 foot, a double seat at the helm with, large openings in the "wind shield" above the saloon (which otherwise amounts to a 6 square meters green house unbearably hot in the tropics), all weather ventilation in the cabins (there was none usable in any significant sea or rain), a cut out in the transom for easy access to and from the dingy, etc..etc...

I could not have sailed 6 years in tropical seas had I not made these changes .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GALAWA II au mouillage.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	278420  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Improvements of PRIVILEGE 435 GALAWA II.pdf (831.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 21-07-2023, 08:58   #23

Boat: FP Bahia 46

There are several cats of the generation of 20 years ago that I have significantly better sailing characteristics compared to today's generation.....Nautitech 44/47, Danson Outremers, Venezia 42/Belize 43, older Catana's....started looking after Covid only to find the market was very tough. Feel like I really lucked out in finding a Bahia 46 that was in good shape. Love the boat, light (9.7t), lots of sail area(124 m2), roomy with power hull shapes. Just sailed her 2,000 miles and not disappointed at all. Saw good speeds and she holds weight well.....in Gibraltar, blew by an Elba 45 so fast I thought it was a 40. There are other boats from that generation that are lighter and waiting for a good refit to bring them to a modern standard.....most of the decent cats today are very pricey.....why go down that route?
ralphmarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 11:04   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Im glad you added no Prouts, lets keep their value down so I can pick one up cheap when the time comes to sail around the world.
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 12:43   #25

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
But many mistakes were made by the designer which had limited experience of Cat layout and accomodation at the time.

On my P435 built in 1999, I had to buil a rigid bimini, a proper freezer, raised the guardrails 1 foot, a double seat at the helm with, large openings in the "wind shield" above the saloon (which otherwise amounts to a 6 square meters green house unbearably hot in the tropics), all weather ventilation in the cabins (there was none usable in any significant sea or rain), a cut out in the transom for easy access to and from the dingy, etc..etc...

Great submission, I have some of those mods on my P39 but others are great considerations.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 20:46   #26

Boat: Privilege 42

Privilege 42. The P42 replaced the P39, and was replaced by the P435. Very well built. Very seaworthy. Sails well. Large cockpit - which we like better than P435 design. Lots of usable storage. Fabulous anchor locker. Galley is down, but not as isolated as on TPI 42.Ours is a 1998 model and is holding up very well.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 00:50   #27

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post

Like the mod to the port sugarscoop. Boarding from a dinghy was not the easiest with the standard configuration. Higher guardrails was a factory option I specified on mine. Double seat at the helm was standard certainly by 2002. Ventilation, yes totally agree. If I was starting out now it is still the boat I'd buy.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 04:29   #28

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Kicking myself a bit for not pushing the finances out to try for the Simpson/Crowther 61 Razzle Dazzle

Think she went with a $4 in front of her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RAZZLE_DAZZLE.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	278439  
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 04:34   #29

Boat: Freedom 40

I had a Shuttleworth 45'. Open bridgedeck, 28' beam.

Costly refit but sailed like a dream
Dan GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 06:55   #30

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Kicking myself a bit for not pushing the finances out to try for the Simpson/Crowther 61 Razzle Dazzle

Think she went with a $4 in front of her.
Little bit under.
But then there is the refit.
Want to split the cost on new some new sails?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote