Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 12:15   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
The hulls look really fat and squared toward the stern meant for more for load carrying than performance. The engines are really difficult to get to. One article said the boat show boat was 285k???w no dinghy davits or radar? The pics I viewed of the stern showed the bridge deck less then a foot over the water but then again the wider hulls may be more buoyant and lift as waves pass thru avoiding pounding or slap a bit. Cabins seem tiny compared to other 32-35 ft cats. The draft is no big deal as who sails or motors with the rudders or leg up anyhow. It can still gunk hole. But if the 285k price is correct t id have looked a diff direction. Or three.... best of luck loom reward to sailing reports!
Only thing found so far.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1us...SVk/edit?pli=1

185............to start........
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22   #47

Boat: 2013 Gemini Legacy

Thanks.. first I need to get to homeport..
jackphillips195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:31   #48

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackphillips195 View Post
Thanks.. first I need to get to homeport..
Make sure the sales rep you bought from takes you out and shows you how to go fast
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33   #49

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Sorry it read boat show price around 280k.

http://boneinitsteeth.blogspot.com/2...cy-35.html?m=1
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:43   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I assume the guy that previously pointed out that the mini-keels was not OK for the narrow beam was speaking of safety not shallow draft. A boat this narrow is rather dangerous, but the ability to pull up the board in large seas makes it somewhat safer. The boat with the LAR keels can "trip" on the keels vs hopefully just slide off with the board up.

Still can't emphasis that all the pics and videos show bridgedeck clearance with ZERO gear and provisions on board.

Good to hear some money got spent at the boat show anyhow. Maybe the old Luhrs plant will reopen in town to fulfill the demand for this design.

Jeff
Old 07-10-2012, 12:43   #51

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:

*Bone in Its Teeth: Annapolis Boat Show -- Gemini Legacy 35
I'd like to see the list of options that raised the price of this boat $100K.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55   #52

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

*Bone in Its Teeth: Annapolis Boat Show -- Gemini Legacy 35

Well, with add-ons..............................
Old 07-10-2012, 13:49   #53
ek1

The "base price" was 185,000 for the 3 cabin/1 head but then there is the mandatory 19,500 "Essential Cruising Pack" then add in 5500 transport/commissioning cost and the "base price" is really 217,000. Hunter did this type of thing when I bought mine new in 1986, thus my comment that some things at Hunter are consistent. I priced mine with the add-on Cockpit Upgrade, and Interrior Upgrade plus davits and AC and it came to 239,000. They wanted 18,000 for the generator, 3500 for a TV that costs 200 at best Buys and 3600 for a chartplotter. Needless to say, you can do some of these things much cheaper yourself or at your local yard. But at 239,000 for a new boat, not too bad,considering the Lagoon 38 runs about 500,000 with basic gear.
ek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 14:00   #54

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Then the quoted $280,000 would be unrealistic even with just about every option? How much stuff can you put on a little boat anyway?
Old 07-10-2012, 14:27   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
How much stuff can you put on a little boat anyway?
Judging from the waterline on a near empty boat.................not much.
Old 07-10-2012, 14:38   #56
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30
How's that old saying go? Something something born every minute?

Anyhow, good luck. Surely see a fleet of this slamming along the waterways in no time.
Really? I would guess your not the poster boy we should use to greet new owners to the multihull fraternity. Everybody makes their choice on boats for diffrent reasons just as you decided to build a Woods design. Nice boat but not my first choice.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I assume the guy that previously pointed out that the mini-keels was not OK for the narrow beam was speaking of safety not shallow draft. A boat this narrow is rather dangerous, but the ability to pull up the board in large seas makes it somewhat safer. The boat with the LAR keels can "trip" on the keels vs hopefully just slide off with the board up.
Jeff
Jeff, as a woods fan I am sure youve read what he says about the differences between LAR keels and boards, One thing he does say is running in Rough weather if you have boards keep them half down to help you track. "
I am also pretty sure its a no brainer that you never ever want to turn any cat regardless of design broadside to dangerously steep waves. You either keep the bow up with a chute, or run with a drogue or warps to slow you down a bit. I can tell you surfing at 11 knots in a ec30 with LAR keels we never ever had an issue controlling her or useing autopilot. I dont think this boat (Legacy 35) would be anywhere near as likely to flip or pitchpole as its predeccessors. I would venture to say that it would get weather helm and round up if overpowered another benefit of its narrower beam but wider hulls.
Old 07-10-2012, 15:40   #58
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos

Jeff, as a woods fan I am sure youve read what he says about the differences between LAR keels and boards, One thing he does say is running in Rough weather if you have boards keep them half down to help you track. "
I am also pretty sure its a no brainer that you never ever want to turn any cat regardless of design broadside to dangerously steep waves. You either keep the bow up with a chute, or run with a drogue or warps to slow you down a bit. I can tell you surfing at 11 knots in a ec30 with LAR keels we never ever had an issue controlling her or useing autopilot. I dont think this boat (Legacy 35) would be anywhere near as likely to flip or pitchpole as its predeccessors. I would venture to say that it would get weather helm and round up if overpowered another benefit of its narrower beam but wider hulls.
In a really strong gust I don't think I would want to round up. That would only increase apparent wind and ad to the momentum that could flip you. I don't think weather helm is an attribute in a cat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:10   #59

Only speaking from has happened to me in a few occasions on different cats over the years. Sailing on a broad reach reefed in 22kts. The wind gusted to 45.(it had been steady 15-20 all day) the boat rounded up before I could react. Saving us from possible damage or worse. Similar event happened twice racing Shark 20's. Saving from flipping. Had it not rounded would have accelerated and probably pitchpoled. So in my experience it was a good thing. I am sure everyone has had different experiences. In each case as the cats rounded up they slowed and we were able to reef or let out the main sheet.
Old 07-10-2012, 17:04   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It's when wave size approach or surpass the beam of the boat that my comments pertain two (RE tripping) Pretty hard to control the exact relation of the boat to waves in severe conditions (Queens birthday type storm) Even with sea anchor deployed.

There are certainly lots of ideas about what is safe and what isn't. Richard did abandon his own boat in what were far from severe conditions (IMO) and the boat was later found floating upright with no damage.

SMJ:
If you happen across another 34' cat with 20" of loaded bridgedeck clearance carrying a 3-4K cruising payload. You be sure to let me know.

Tags
gemini